Profile Picture

Hydraulic clutch for T-5 Conversion

Posted By MarkMontereyBay 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Thinking ahead to the next big project. I have gathered up most of the Tbird parts for a T-5 conversion; bell housing, clutch linkage, brake and clutch pedal assembly, etc. Plan on using Mummerts conversion kit. Has anyone used a hydraulic clutch recently and if so how difficult is it to do? Also are there any clearance issues with Sanderson headers and the stock clutch linkage?

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

Rono
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Mark;

I talked to a friend of mine about setting up a hyd clutch for my blown stroker motor build. He advised me to stay away from the hyd. throw out bearings and instead, he used a Wilwood hyd slave cylinder that he mounted on an angled bracket running parallel to his Tremec that bolted to the bellhousing (57 Custom 300) with a tab he fabricated. He sent me some pictures of what the set-up looks like;

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

MarkMontereyBay
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Ron, I remember having to remove the trans on early Aerostars to replace leaking internal hydraulic T bearings. Not a good option. The tab looks like a straight forward fabrication but I am curious about the pedal action to the clutch master cylinder. Plus easy to service if needed. Are you using a stock pedal assembly?

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

Rono
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Mark;

My friend used the stock brake/clutch pedal assembly, but just modified it slightly. I haven't done anything yet because I'm planning on putting my motor in a 37 Ford coupe with a custom chassis. Here are some additional pictures of his set-up;

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

MarkMontereyBay
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ron, you have me thinking this might be easier than I first thought. I have been looking at these Wilwood parts along with the positioning of the clutch push rod shown in the photos you posted. Looks like he welded a pivot on the outside of the clutch pedal for the master cylinder push rod.

http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderList.aspx?minorname=Integral%20Reservoir%20Compact%20Master%20Cylinder

http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderList.aspx?minorname=Slave%20Cylinder

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

lyonroad
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Mark and Rono, I will be putting a hydraulic clutch set up in my 55 Fairlane later this year along with a Tremac T5. I have the Modern Driveline adapter. If either of you come up with the part numbers for compatible master cylinders and slave cylinders it would be appreciated. Some of the Mustang forums have articles on hydraulic clutch set ups. One has a clutch pedal modification similar to the one pictured in your (Rono) post. Rono I see that your friend used a pull type slave. I have seen some examples where a puh type is mounted to the bell housing. Wonder if one type works better than the other?

Mark

1956 Mercury M100
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
Delta, British Columbia
lyonroad
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Speedway Motors have a bunch of master and slave cylinders at what appears to be better prices.

Mark

1956 Mercury M100
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
Delta, British Columbia
Rono
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Right...my friend (Paul) used a pull type slave cylinder. Here's another picture of the remote reservoir he used next to his brake booster. Kind of cramped. but he got it in there.

Rono

charliemccraney
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I bet you could use a modified truck bellhousing as the "adapter" and then you can use the truck slave cylinder. Maybe you'd have to cut off the mounting ears.

Lawrenceville, GA
MarkMontereyBay
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ron, Yikes...that is about as close a fit as possible. Changing a leaky valve cover gasket going to be a chore. I am using manual front disc/drum rear master cylinder so there is enough room (no booster) for the second small clutch master cylinder on the Tbird. Already got the bellhousing (passenger car) and stuff mostly from Carl for use with Mummert's kit. Got a full Tbird clutch/brake pedal assembly for a Tbird also. I checked Speedway and their prices for the Wilwood stuff is a little cheaper. It always boils down to shipping on these things. I hope to have the Granada disc brake swap done next week some time.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

Reading This Topic

Site Meter