Profile Picture

TBird Multiple Carb Options

Posted By Florida_Phil 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I am considering a multiple carb setup for my '55 TBird and am wondering about hood clearance.  Will a triple 2V or dual 4V setup clear my hood?  No Teapots please.  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/drink/popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif

miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Well, it depends. Obviously a factory e code dual quad will fit. You’ll need the proper valley pan or a bit of modification on a stock one. Then you'll have to deal with replacing the teapots and fitting an air cleaner(s). I can’t speak to aftermarket dual quads, but I know some here have done it.

I ran an Offy tri power on my bird, and I had to shorten the rear air cleaner on the Ford 94 carbs. If you go read Ted and Joe's latest test on that manifold (with the little louvered air cleaners like I had) you’ll find that’s about as good a way as any to throw away some horsepower and keep yourself out of trouble. The proper way to do that is to mill the rear carb pad, I just took the easy way out.

I see other tripower on birds, so I’m sure there’s a way.

Go over to Eaton Balancing and read the different intake and exhaust test. You’ll find pretty much all the multi carb combos will run behind a Blue Thunder or Mummert manifold. Notice Mummert makes a low rise model specifically for birds and other hood clearing problems. But you sure can’t beat them for eye candy.

Someone, I think on this site, has a dual quad manifold with EFI units on it that he’s very happy with. Others have other small carbs in place of the teapots and are also happy. I don’t recall which ones are on birds though. You’ll probably get more responses after the holiday.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

What is needed is for someone to measure three carbs - H4000 - H4150 - WCFB MTG base to throttle body to ACL MTG pad (HGT) on the throttle body.

We know the 56/57 dual H4000's will fit with the proper ACL's.

The WCFB's as used on the VETTE gave nice street drive-ability but is $$$.

If there is some way to mount a later carb style (properly sized) on the EDEL 573 they would give you both performance and eye candy (IMO). You can source ACL's of varying HGT to close the hood (cutting carb pad HGT might alter flow)

Here is the EATON BALANCING TRI-POWER TECH ARTICLE for easy reference- http://www.eatonbalancing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/YBlock-146-Craine-3X2-Test.pdf

Florida_Phil
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I have had a triple carb Y Block before.  I think I was running Carter carbs.  It's been a long time.  Those 2V carbs are all pretty tall, but so are Teapots.  Dual quads would look cool, but I'm wondering about drive ability.  I will probably never open the secondaries.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

So you are leaning more to TRI-POWER?

The later FE SERIES 3X2 looked good (to me) with the 2300's. The 94's and 97's don't appeal to me as it makes the engine look similar to a flat-head (IMO).

I am not trying to persuade you, but research the scrub VETTE 283 8V WCFB as they had a primary/secondary carb setup for street use. Either system is going to be hard on fuel as you won't be able to keep your foot out of it ... Smile

(DISCLAIMER - The above is IMO and is not intended to start any food fights)

Reason For Edits - Poor Command of The English Language

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

miker Posted-

"You’ll need the proper valley pan or a bit of modification on a stock one."

I have been wondering about that. Regarding the 1957 8V, how do you get the extra clearance (heat distance - air flow) with an ALUM FINNED valley cover? Do they overheat the underside of the intake manifold?

Florida_Phil
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I am not leaning one way or another.  What I would like is a nice looking multiple carb setup that is reliable and responsive.  The 2300s that came on the FE motors look great.  They are even available new. I have never seen them on a Y block, but they would make for a perfect combination.  I agree that the older 2V carbs make the engine look like a flathead.  Nothing wrong with that, it's just a little too vintage for me.  Dual Edelbrocks would work if they will clear my hood.

miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Phil, here’s a link to the set up Drylakesracer has. The rare A/C probably wouldn’t clear the bird, but if he gave you some measurements from the top of the carbs maybe it would give you a start on a cool set up. He seems very happy with the drivability.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic110355.aspx

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Florida_Phil
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the link.  Food for thought...

Reading This Topic

Site Meter