Profile Picture

TBird Multiple Carb Options

Posted By Florida_Phil 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Re the 500 cfm  Holley 2 Bbl carbs, that Ted stated were hard on fuel. I don't know if there is more than one model of them, but I read somewhere that they are intended as "limited rule race carbs", which might explain their thirst for fuel.. 

Paul
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I believe two 2300 Holley carbs would perform well on a street car.  However, multiple carbs are mostly for looks these days and two two barrels isn't all that impressive.  As the tests indicate, if you want to go fast get a modern 4V manifold, slap a Holley 750 on it and ride.  Two 4Vs is where it's at for a car show hood popper.  I prefer Holley carbs.  I used them on all my race cars and I understand how to tune them.  Do they leak? Yes, they have new gaskets for that. I already have one Holley 465, I would need to buy another.  The sideways carb linkage is an issue.  It's costly and complicated. I'm not sure two Holley 465s will fit on a 257 manifold with the vacuum secondaries.  If it could be made smooth enough, it could be worth the money and effort.  

500 CFM Edelbrocks are another option. I don't think they look as vintage with the shiny finish and Edelbrock placards. I'm sure they perform well.  They are definitely the easier route to take.  Two WCFBs would would look the best, but I would be dealing with expensive 60 year old carbs and there's the TBird hood clearance issue.

The important thing is I have the manifold and that seems to be the hard part.   For now, I'll hang it on my wall and decide what to do later this year.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Turn the two 2300's with the fuel bowls outwards and it would appear as two 4150's under a one piece air cleaner.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/72b89ef2-87e2-4128-acbc-9de3.jpg

The carbs shown are vacuum operated (outboard carbs) from a GM or MOPAR TRI-POWER. .

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Exactly.  The carbs in this photo have an extra metering block, but this could be a neat looking setup on a Y Block.  Why put 1,000 CFM on an engine that can barely use 600?  The throttle response would be good.  Mileage decent.  An oval 427 style air cleaner would complete the look.  There are many ways to go here.   I need to read up on WCFBs.  They're old and costly, but they are a direct bolt on.  A friend told me they used these carbs on old Mercury motors. I assume they are better than tea pots?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

I need to read up on WCFBs.  They're old and costly, but they are a direct bolt on.  A friend told me they used these carbs on old Mercury motors. I assume they are better than tea pots?

MERC used the WCFB beginning during the 1956 model run, early H400 and as HP was increased, the WCFB. They also used it on the 1957 MERC LYB 368 4V. LINC used them on their 368 LYB.

The metering blocks(s) on that shown carb has me confused. PROFORM makes a metering block update for the 4V HOLLEY but I have not seen two blocks used together. Maybe TED can explain it whenever he has a free moment. Obviously, I am still stuck in the sixties/seventies and missed that class.

Sandbird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)

Just a guess,
Maybe it's a spacer to add volume to the float bowl. A 500 cfm 2 barrel has to be awful thirsty at WOT.
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 39 seconds ago
Looks like an adjust-a-jet

Lawrenceville, GA
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

New thread started.

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Looks like an adjust-a-jet

THANX CHARLIE!

That shook a few cobwebs loose.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter