Profile Picture

1956 Y-Block Dual Quads

Posted By DryLakesRacer 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I think my questions concerning this was a way back so I'll post again. Mine are installed and on the 56 Victoria. Oldmics parted with a 56 Ford NASCAR air filter and Ted answered a lot of questions. I used Carter WCFB's and a home bracket for the coil. Fuel and vacuum lines were pretty easy and the linkage was made from a kit used on FE 427's. At full throttle the back barrels on both carbs are a little short but for me its OK. Still just a cruiser.

I know it's not original but I think the "originals" shows I go to won't mind to much since the air filter covers most of the non-original parts and it is an over-the-counter part. Still battling a power steering leak which is next.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4d0ffd09-5374-4dea-9a9d-fd94.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/214afef0-ca37-490d-b4a3-5862.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/20057000-f7da-4e06-824b-abbf.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fc7ac2d4-8fb9-47b4-9d4c-d50a.jpg 
s come out

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
pegleg
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
WCFB"s ?  Oops, shoulda read it instead of looking at just the photos.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Daniel Jessup
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
flat out awesome looking setup you have there!

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

mercoupe50
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
What are you using for an intake manifold?
DryLakesRacer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

mercoupe ! It is an Edelbrock 257. I removed the "evidence by grinding it off both sides and media blasting it so it would look "stock" even tho the area between the carbs were of a different design on the 1956. I also knew the 257 's rear carb was a little bit farther forward that the one from Ford and was not sure on the Edel 255 and I wanted to run the carbs progressive and it they work find. I port matched the 56 heads with a slight taper for the first 1/4"-3/8"; from old experience that helps velocity.

Gremlins popped up when driving it the first time. Seems like carbs with vacuum secondaries like the Fords work different than the Carters mechanical linkage. The photo shows a 1/4-20 bolt and nut in the stock linkage and I needed to back off the auto trans pressure rod to make it shift proper. I'm not sure what the stock stick shift linkage looks like but the auto trans one has a lot of "monkey motion" which I guess moves when the vacuum secondaries open and it allows the trans to down shift. As I accelerate from a stop it will shift a 17-20 mph normally and if I get on it a little it shifts at 40-45 and a little firmer so I'm happy with that.

A change is coming as I wanted 2 identical WCFB's but as the photo shows the linkage better they are not. I have however just recieved a NOS WCFB 2080s which is an exact match to the front one. It came in the original Carter box with instructions printed in 1953. They do not come with mixture screws so I'm waiting for them to make the swap. I will install it on the front to make sure it works fine then put it on the rear. I need to check out all the gaskets and the accelerator pump and make put in one for todays gasoline.

I drove the car to my favorite cruise spot Saturday morning (Donut Derelicts) in Huntington Beach and had many questions and lookers. Not to many 1956 Ford NASCAR setups in So Cal...................JD
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3a1718d0-3957-4129-8111-630a.jpg

DryLakesRacer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The second Carter WCFB 2080 was inspected new gaskets and accelerator pump installed. I test ran it on the car in the front spot since all the linkage and connections were the same. Worked fine with the typical minor adjustments. I removed the rear WCFB and installed the 2080 which had been on the front. I had to make a new 5/16" feed line since they are both now in the front. I also made a piece of metal I secured to the front of the rear carbs linkage. It made the angles for the throttle better. I believe the carb I had just bought may have been a take off in 1953. The screws had too may marks on them to be from first assembly. There were installation instructions in the box printed in 1953 and they fell apart when I tried to open them. 

As others have said, the key to dual quads is matching carburators. Even tho these to are same Carter number they have very slight differences. They do however have the same throttle bores, jet, metering rods, and venturis. They were stock on a 303 cu in engine. I can get different jets but i don't think that will be necessary. I am running on one for the majority of the time. Ted wrote me there is a lot of interest in running these setups on Y-Blocks and I am very happy I did it. The NASCAR air filter is part of the mystic but 2 air cleaners or one oval one like the FE's would look good.
 http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/06d3f01d-1fe0-493c-94ef-7dd6.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/793d1741-b317-40b1-99ea-6e03.jpg

Oldmics
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Looks like the factory did it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
But what do I know ?
Oldmics
Ted
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Looks like something you’d find under the hood of a mid-Fifties highway patrol car.  Thanks for sharing.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

petew
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Ted (11/22/2014)
Looks like something you’d find under the hood of a mid-Fifties highway patrol car.  Thanks for sharing.

Or a moonshine car ! Great looking set up and probably a lot less trouble prone then a pair of tea pots
DryLakesRacer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Time for a update and things learned. A hesitation started after a few days; since both WCFB's were the same I figured a swap was the easiest thing and it solved the problem. As for things learned that was a little tougher. I know Ted had done a lot of testing on the dual quad installation including WCFB's and what I found was it was very difficult to adjust the mixture screws on the rear carb I don't know how much time the tests spent idling..
There is an obvious fix and that's to buy Brand "C"s 245/270 HP WCFB's extended screws. They are 6 sided and easily adjusted with 1/4" wrench. Danchuk (a brand "C" supplier) is a few miles from me so I picked up a set along with a center crossover vent tube because they look cool. The earlier WCFB's don't have 2 like the 56-up so one will do. I've included a few photos so you can see how close they are.  I love the set up and really glad I did it.......JD
 http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ac52634a-aac9-4aa9-a3e4-2cf2.jpg http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/faec412e-d8f0-4969-9ca2-d6df.jpg http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/efe39f43-e617-4c82-8c8c-8a02.jpg http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b2a9effb-8b07-488f-8adc-5834.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter