Profile Picture

312 285 hp and 312 S/C camshaft info

Posted By Dennis K. 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
PF Arcand (9/27/2010)
A further note; It does not surprise me that the NHRA did not have documentation on the 285 engine. Ford's factory racing program was not involved in Drag racing in 1957. It's involvement was with NASCAR & to a lesser extent the USAC. The N.H.R.A was a fledgling organization in 1957, not the professional, (pro Chevrolet) outfit it is now. Also, many drag strips were still independent in 1957.

I cannot speak to why NHRA did not have the 285 hp engine listed, however they did have the 245, 270, and 300 hp engines listed.  The majority of the 312's, particularily 300 hp supercharged cars, campaigned in NHRA drag racing were in 60's and not only were they winners they were National Record Holders in their respective classes. 

In addition, I don't think NHRA differentiated between the 300 hp supercharged cars running the standard and the high lift camshaft, they all ran the same class and everyone ran the high lift cam or the NHRA accepted Engle #124.  Perhaps it was the same case with the 270 and 285 hp versions.

Regards,

Dennis

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Dennis:

I alwys thought it odd that NHRA accepted the Engle 124.  True, it was 290 degrees duration, but the exhaust timing was slightly different, indicating a lobe center change.  I guess they didn't check lobe centers back then.  And yes, I ran the 124 back in my stocker days.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

pegleg
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Tell them where IHRA got the specs for the F codes!!BigGrin

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

UUUUUHHHHH, I think I gave them the specs.  My friend Jim Hunnicutt became their national tech director.

pegleg
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
There's some history for ya folks! Tongue

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Dennis K.
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)

Hoosier Hurricane (9/29/2010)
Dennis:

I alwys thought it odd that NHRA accepted the Engle 124.  True, it was 290 degrees duration, but the exhaust timing was slightly different, indicating a lobe center change.  I guess they didn't check lobe centers back then.  And yes, I ran the 124 back in my stocker days.

John,

Found an old ad on the Engle #324.  The Aug 1969 Car Craft article on Walker's blown car indicates NHRA accepted Engle #124 at 290 deg .450". Do you have the detailed timing event grind specs on the #124 camshaft? 

Regards,

Dennis

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Dennis:

I dug up the cam card for my 124.  36-76, 76-36, lift .450 (didn't state which rockers, I assume 1.54), lash .018, duration 292.  That duration number concerned me when I got the cam, but I theorized that NHRA accepted it, and if it was lashed at .019 or .020 it would check 290 or less.  As it turned out, it was never checked by NHRA anyway.  The spec in the blower manual says the blower cam was 32-78, 38-72.  Interesting, but both cams have 110 deg. lsa.  NHRA didn't check lsa back then, only duration and lift.

Dennis K.
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

John,

Thank you for posting the Engle info.

I am now looking for ANY information on Ford camshaft ECZ-6250-C.  If anyone has a Ford Parts Catalog, Master Cross Reference List, Price List, Obsolecence Book, or other reference, document, magazine article, etc ... that mentions or lists this cam, please advise.    

I am trying to determine if this in fact was an actual Ford part and if so, what the application and/or specification was on it.

Also looking for anyone that has one of these "Isky camshaft shipping tubes" repackaged or relabeled as a Ford service part.  Allegedly a supercharger cam, but could be others.  I've heard this story, but does anyone have the packaging or "first hand" experience re this.       

Regards,

Dennis

marvh
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Dennis:

Here is a camshaft listed as a blower cam for sale on ebay. item number 270650991510

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1957-FORD-Y-BLOCK-312-SUPERCHARGER-F-CAM-EDB-D-/270650991510?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f040e6396  

marv
slumlord444
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Found a Ford Blower cam in original tube back in the late '70s. Friend of mine with an F Bird bought it. Put an Effingham Regrinding cam on the blower cam in a 312 that I had in my Bird with dual quads for sevral years. Idled a little rougher than the stock cam and seemed like it ran a little better. Would go to 6000 rpm with good valve springs but power fell off after 5500 rpm. Still have complete motor stashed in my barn. Local dirt track guys ran this cam back in the mid '70s. Friend had one in '57 Ford dirt track car back then. Gave the small block chevy guys fits with it. Another guy had one in a 32 Ford coupe and they could not keep up with him either. Don't think I have the specs on it anymore but seemed to work prety well.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter