Profile Picture

312 285 hp and 312 S/C camshaft info

Posted By Dennis K. 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I had another look at the blower cam i got from Wally Kistein last night. It is ground on a Ford core and the casting is clearly marked EDBD. The snout of the came is marked in buzz pencil: B7A6250C. The oil groove in the center journal had been heavily modified.

The short duration over the counter B7A6250C cams I've seen where ground on aftermarket cores.

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

Dennis K.
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
John Mummert (10/19/2010)
I had another look at the blower cam i got from Wally Kistein last night. It is ground on a Ford core and the casting is clearly marked EDBD. The snout of the came is marked in buzz pencil: B7A6250C. The oil groove in the center journal had been heavily modified.

The short duration over the counter B7A6250C cams I've seen where ground on aftermarket cores.

John,

Please clarify what you mean by an "aftermarket core".  Any markings or distinguishing features?

Regards,

Dennis

John Mummert
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Dennis, most of the older aftermarket cores I've seen have YB-1 cast in them. You will usually find CWC on them. We long believed that CWC was the name of the foundry. I have been told that it inidcates the matterial the core is made of. Don't know which is true.

Newer cores have the number 3358 B-S.

Factory cores have FoMoCo on them.

Early Y-Block cams were not hardened and Rockwell in the mid 30c range. According to a Hollenders interchange manual I have Ford began hardening the cores in 1958. I have not confirmed this date.

The last Y-Block cams marked CAB-X are definitely hardened and use cast lifters

Form the 60's thru mid 2000's cam core Rockwell was in the 48-50c range. I'm told that new cores are supposed to be around 52c

Lifters must Rockwell at least 3 points higher than the cam core to survive.

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

Ol'ford nut
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (327 reputation)Supercharged (327 reputation)Supercharged (327 reputation)Supercharged (327 reputation)Supercharged (327 reputation)Supercharged (327 reputation)Supercharged (327 reputation)Supercharged (327 reputation)Supercharged (327 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
From internet search-

CWC formally Campbell Wyant and Cannon Foundry Co. in Muskegon, MI is the largest supplier of cast iron camshaft blanks in the world.

Ol'ford nutCentral Iowa

56 Vic w/292 & 4 spd.

Dennis K.
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
John Mummert (10/20/2010)
Dennis, most of the older aftermarket cores I've seen have YB-1 cast in them. You will usually find CWC on them. We long believed that CWC was the name of the foundry. I have been told that it inidcates the matterial the core is made of. Don't know which is true.

Newer cores have the number 3358 B-S.

Factory cores have FoMoCo on them.

Early Y-Block cams were not hardened and Rockwell in the mid 30c range. According to a Hollenders interchange manual I have Ford began hardening the cores in 1958. I have not confirmed this date.

The last Y-Block cams marked CAB-X are definitely hardened and use cast lifters

Form the 60's thru mid 2000's cam core Rockwell was in the 48-50c range. I'm told that new cores are supposed to be around 52c

Lifters must Rockwell at least 3 points higher than the cam core to survive.

I was thinking you'd say CWC foundry.

ECK-C, ECK-D, EDB-B, EDB-D, and EDB-E camshaft lobe hardness b/p spec was 40 Scleroscope (Rc 30)min.

The lobes on later cams were induction hardened to Rc 60-50.

Hardness of the tappet crown were:

EAA-C cast iron Rc 50 min

EAA-D 5120 steel Rc 58 min

5752073 and C3AE-A cast iron Rc 55 min 

Regards,

Dennis 

marvh
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Dennis:
Look at this
ebay item 150511128765

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/y-block-ford-312-nascar-285-hp-2X4-heads-rocker-arms-VC-/150511128765?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230b2990bd

marv

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Guys:

Be careful if you are going to bid on this item.  There are discrepencies in the descriptions.  ECZ-M carbs are not dual carbs.  Also, the same numbers were given for the Carter carbs.  Merc 335 did not use teapots, but 4150s.  I don't want to kill his sale, and the current bid is not unreasonable, but as I said, be careful.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

ecode ragtop
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
JOHN, THERE ARE A FEW ADS ON E-BAY,RIGHT NOW THAT SHOULD START WITH THE WORDS ( ONCE UPON A TIME-IN A LAND FAR AWAY.) J.M.O. TOM

JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD!!! TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR 57 FORD INTERNATIONAL
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Tom, you are so right.  The seller is just 3 years younger than I, and I can attest to the fact that memories fade and change over the years.  His setup could be a good running setup, but it certainly isn't "correct" for a concours restoration.  The Edelbrock manifold is the first clue.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
DualQuad312
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Hi there I noticed the discussion on camshafts and it perked my interest....Actually Ford used a Mercury camshaft called the M-260 for the 56 dealer code dual quad and the "street" 57 dual quad. It came out sometime in 1956 on what I believe is called the Nascar or power pack setup...Ford used this cam as well on the 270hp dual quads in 57....The higher perfomance dual quad, the 285hp setup used what was called the RPM 300 camshaft.....It was an Isky grind....It was not a ford camshaft....This camshaft was claimed to develop 300hp...It required dual dampened valve springs and single piece retainers for the higher rpm...5/16 tubular push rods were also used, the distributor had static timing of 12 degrees vereses the typical 3 and 6 degrees depending wether you had  a stickshift or automatic...There was actually five differant camshafts available in 1957...You had the stock 256 degree, the mercury 260 degree, the isky rpm 300 cam, and two differant blower cams available....I have the grind #'s if interested...It's taken a while in talking to people and a bit of researching to find this information...

jeff

Reading This Topic

Site Meter