Profile Picture

312 285 hp and 312 S/C camshaft info

Posted By Dennis K. 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Does anyone have an 1957 Isky catalog and can provide a copy of all the various YB cams and their specifications listed in it?

The 1958 Isky catalog specs the E2 cam at 256/256 @ .430".  This certainly doesn't match the Ford specs on the 290 or 302 deg cams used in the blower engine.  It does appear to represent the baseline 1957 Ford B7A-6250-B 312 245/270 hp cam though.

I realize Isky did change camshaft timing events through certain years yet retain the same identifier, which is why I would like to see what is in their 1957 catalog.

There is also an article on the 292 engine in Popular Hot Rodding Aug 1965 that discusses the Isky E2 cam and the 312 285 hp engine:

Doesn't make sense if the E2 cam duration/lift appear to represent the 312 245/270 hp cam.  Maybe the same duration and lift, just the timing events were ground differently?

I started a new thread on this subject to reflect the different subject matter over the previous one titled "I need help identfying the intake".

Regards,

Dennis

Oldmics
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Dennis

Seems we are both on the same quest.

I too am seeking a 57/56 Isky catologue to see what cams were availiable and the timing sequences.

I do have one question in reference to how "service parts" are labeled.

In the other post you made reference to camshafts designated as a B7AE part number as opposed to the B7A prefix normally associated with parts.

What does the "AE" designation stand for?

After rereading the Popular Hot Rodding article about Isky offering the B7A 6250-C cam as a service part-I question if that is actually true.

Reason for my doubts is because ALL of those B7A 6250-C cams that I have encountered are ground on Ford identified camshaft billets.

Would Ford have sent Isky blank Ford identified billets to grind there service parts on?

Timing events on all of these sticks would differ due to Ford using S.A.E. measurement reference points and Isky using his .050 reference that he pioneered.

The 285 H.P. engine is listed in the 1957 Ford brochure as an availiable engine option

Oldmics

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 23 minutes ago
Dennis:

I have an Isky sheet for the Hardface Overlay cams.  There are only 4 cams listed on this sheet.  Not sure of the date, but it does say "including '58 models".  The E-2 timing is 17-59, 63-13.  The standard '57 cam was 18-58, 66-10.  kAs you said, very similar.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

PF Arcand
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I can't comment for sure on whether or not Ford used the Supercharger cam for their 285 H.P. engine, but considering the timing differences, I doubt it. One thing though, the PHR reprint refers to the the E-2 as having 290 degrees duration. That is incorrect. E-2s were either 256 or 260 degrees depending on the year built. I would bet that the 285 engines used the E-2, because I recall many years ago (1960s) references to it as the cam that Ford used for their Oval track engines.

Paul
Dennis K.
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)

Oldmics (8/18/2010)
Dennis

Seems we are both on the same quest.

I too am seeking a 57/56 Isky catologue to see what cams were availiable and the timing sequences.

I do have one question in reference to how "service parts" are labeled.

In the other post you made reference to camshafts designated as a B7AE part number as opposed to the B7A prefix normally associated with parts.

What does the "AE" designation stand for?

After rereading the Popular Hot Rodding article about Isky offering the B7A 6250-C cam as a service part-I question if that is actually true.

Reason for my doubts is because ALL of those B7A 6250-C cams that I have encountered are ground on Ford identified camshaft billets.

Would Ford have sent Isky blank Ford identified billets to grind there service parts on?

Timing events on all of these sticks would differ due to Ford using S.A.E. measurement reference points and Isky using his .050 reference that he pioneered.

The 285 H.P. engine is listed in the 1957 Ford brochure as an availiable engine option

Oldmics

Re service part labelling -

After 1958 Ford went back to using the Basic Number System.  There are four characters in the prefix.  The first is the decade, the second the model year.  The third represents the Product Line, i.e. - A = Ford (full size).  The fourth character represents Design Responsibility, i.e. - A = Ford Division PEO, B = Metal Stamping Division, E = Engine and Foundry Division Product Engineering Office, Z = Ford Parts and Service Office, etc ... . 

In 1958 and into 1959, Ford (actually I believe only E&F Div) used what was referred to as "boxcar numbers" on engine components.  Pre 1958, either a three letter prefix, i.e. - ECZ EDB, etc ...  was generally used for engineering part numbers and a three character prefix, i.e. - B7A, B6T, etc ...  was used on service parts.

I agree, the reference that Isky offered the B7A-C cam or the Isky E-2 is the 290 deg blower cam is inaccurate.  It is possible that Isky ground service part cams for Ford.  However, attempting to document and verify it may be difficult.

This goes back to my question about anyone having one of these relabeled Isky shipping tubes sold as a Ford service part camshaft.

Re your engine brouchure on the 285 hp engine.  Is there a date on the brouchure?  What does it state about this engine?  Can you post a scan?

Regards,

Dennis

Dennis K.
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

PF Arcand (8/19/2010)
I can't comment for sure on whether or not Ford used the Supercharger cam for their 285 H.P. engine, but considering the timing differences, I doubt it. One thing though, the PHR reprint refers to the the E-2 as having 290 degrees duration. That is incorrect. E-2s were either 256 or 260 degrees depending on the year built. I would bet that the 285 engines used the E-2, because I recall many years ago (1960s) references to it as the cam that Ford used for their Oval track engines.

Below are exerpts from a letter dated March 19, 1970 written by LaVerne Schumann to Bruce Sizemore in Ford Special Vehicles Dept.  The purpose of the letter was to encourage Ford to forward info to NHRA to legitimize these special components and detailed specifications on the S/C engine for NHRA Stock classes.  

The above is relevant to the 312 S/C engine.  Both camshafts were documented.  However the "usage" description in the letter does not appear to be accurate.

Re the "lightweight" intake valve.  I was never able to find anything on this component.  I spoke to a former colleague of mine, Dean McCann, that worked on the S/C program with Sullivan in 1957 and he never heard of it either.      

The next exerpt discusses a 312 260 hp engine for both 1956 AND 1957.  Both of these reference the Isky E2 cam.  BTW, has anyone ever heard of a 1957 312 4V 260 HP engine?

As previously mentioned, this was in a letter "to" Ford, not written by a Ford employee.

I am aware where Special Vehicles created documents to substantiate certain combinations or components to legalize them for sanctioned racing events.  Typically AMA Form 40A's were generated to "legitimize" unique combinations or components for racing.       

Regards,

Dennis

yalincoln
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
the 260 hp was the 56 merc. 312 with 2x4's and a special cam, ( e-2 ) mabey. this bullitin has been posted before. when i rebuilt my friends 57 t-bird e code 312 it had a isky rpm 300 in it. we believe the car was raced back in the day.

lincoln/merc. y-blocks &mel's                                                               bucyrus, ohio.
yalincoln
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
also the 260 merc's used carter carbs instead of holleys. fords were 255 hp in 56 with holleys.

lincoln/merc. y-blocks &mel's                                                               bucyrus, ohio.
Rudder2fly
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I may have a Isky E-2 Cam. Bought on Ebay back in 2002. What do I have to do to verify what I have?

56 VIC  Gene Stoehr Sr.

Oldmics
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Rudder2fly-the only way to identify what the cam is is to have an analysis done on a machine called a Cam Doctor.

Then compare your Cam Doctor information to the published specs from Isky on the E2 camshaft.

If its the same-then you have a winner.To add to the confusion there are at least 3 different E2 grind specifications from Isky on the E2 camshaft.It depends on what era it was produced.

_________________________________________________________________________________

yalincoln-the Merc M260 used two Holley carbs according to the Merc specs.They never had two Carters from the factory.Both Fords and Merc horsepower ratings were 260 although the only thing shared between the two different setups were the same Holley carbs and the cylinder heads which were ECZ-C.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Dennis

I will post of that information when I get the pile of junk off of my scanner.

It is dated 11/8/56

Oldmics

Reading This Topic

Site Meter