Profile Picture

312 285 hp and 312 S/C camshaft info

Posted By Dennis K. 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/57-Y-Block-CAM-Thunderbird-EDB-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem41501b208cQQitemZ280516829324QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This Guy says this is an E code cam!!!

Gary Ryan San Antonio.TX.

Dennis K.
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago

Yes, the stock 312 270 hp 8V E code is the 256 deg cam.  This same cam was used across the board in 1957 from the 272 to the 312 300 hp S/C engine.  Yes, it is an EDB cam, but to clarify it is the EDB-6250-C, not D or E cam which were the high lift cams used in the supercharged engine. 

To date, no one has been able substantiate with documentation exactly what cam was used in the 312 285 hp 8V E Code engine.

Regards,

Dennis

Dennis K.
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)

I contacted an older NHRA Tech man who is a Ford guy to see what may be listed on the 312-285 hp engine.  His reply was:

"I checked thru all of my info which I copied while in California concerning 1957 Fords and did not find any reference to a 312-285 engine. The only 312's shown are the 245, 270, and 300. It does not even show up in my old class guide book which covers back to 1950 Fords."

So it appears that NHRA never recognized this combination.

Does anyone recall anyone running in drag racing a 57 Ford with a 312-285 hp engine in Stock class?

Regards,

Dennis

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Dennis:

H.J. Van Schoik (sp?) from Indy ran a dual quad '57 Custom at Muncie back in the '60s.  I was running a '56 Bird 260 and was not nearly as fast as he was.  I asked him what cam he was running, he said the "Darlington" cam.  But if the 285 was not listed in the NHRA classification guide, he was probably calling it a 270.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

Philo
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
FYI. I contacted the guy with the cam on eBay about casting marks. Here is his reply, for what it's worth;

Sorry this took so long, but I finally got this out and gave it a close look. The casting numbers are not on this camshaft. It has the Fomoco logo, and the numbers are as follows. 28 is stamped on it in two places and L 29, is also stamped on the metal. That is all.

FIGHT CONFORMITY! 

PF Arcand
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
This is a confusing issue. Eickman's book lists the std 1957 cam as P.N. B7A 6250-B @ 256 degrees (advertised) & .400" & .420" lift with 1.54 rockers. On a separate page it lists the High lift supercharged cam as P.N. B7A 6250-C @ .290" intake & exhaust cam lift. Open & closing timings is given but no advertised duration. The timings are very different from the std cam.

Paul
Oldmics
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
The event duration timing marks were measured differently in the good old days as opposed to the common use of measuring event duration at .050.

The Ford measurements were taken at different points such as .005,.009 and other lift points.

The differing measurement points would not match up since Ford never used .050 as a reference point for these cams.

Oldmics

Dennis K.
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

More food for thought on the 1957 Ford 312 - 285 hp engine/camshaft:

Everyone I contacted to date seems to agree it was a cam change, but what the cam specs are, no one seems to know.  The story about the blower cam being an Isky is certainly engrained.  Using basic logic, the 285 hp cam should be hotter than the std 256 degree Ford cam for 1957 used in the 270 hp engine.  I would also expect it to be the same or hotter than any of the 1956 race cams.  In addition, the 1957 engine would also have the larger intake valve and 1.54 ratio rockers to help raise horsepower from 260 to 270.

Another item I looked at was part number allocation.  Ford part numbers are issued sequentially.  All of the B7A-6250-A thru E part numbers are spoken for other applications.  Likewise, EDB-6250-A thru E.  It may of had an ECZ prefix, but again I didn't find any ECZ cams that weren't already used for a different application.  If a unique 285 hp camshaft existed, it should of been issued a Ford part number.  Nor does a unique cam appear in the 1957 Police Interceptor Parts List.   

Some think the 285 hp cam and 300 hp high lift blower cam are one and the same.  The EDB-6250-D blower cam was released for production on 12/5/56.  This release date incidently is close to other supercharger related components, early Dec 1956.  If this cam was also used on the 285 hp engine I would expected it to have an earlier release date.

Does anyone recall any photos or articles on Ford's with a 285 HP engine in it?

I plan to keep searching on this subject, stay tuned.  

Regards,

Dennis

PF Arcand
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Dennis: the only thing I've seen was the Ad that I referred to much earlier in this discussion. The sales pitch was that the new 57 Ford was like riding in a ships stateroom, with an outline of a ship behind it etc. However, at the bottom of the Ad in small print is a reference to the availability of a Super V-8 of 270 H.P. & also available a version with "up to" 285 H.P... This isn't the first discussion on the subject of high performance cams for Y-Blocks. It's been hit on before both here & in YBM. All I can say is that from my memory way back, we were told that the Oval Track (non supercharged) cam in 1957 & possibly in 1956, was an Isky E-2 grind. As mentioned previously, since it would have been a limited sale item, my best guess is that Fords racing management sent Ford blanks to Isky to be ground. If they had used Isky's blanks, they would likely have been declared illegal. Unfortunately, other than the Ad, I can't document any of this...

Paul
PF Arcand
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

A further note; It does not surprise me that the NHRA did not have documentation on the 285 engine. Ford's factory racing program was not involved in Drag racing in 1957. It's involvement was with NASCAR & to a lesser extent the USAC. The N.H.R.A was a fledgling organization in 1957, not the professional, (pro Chevrolet) outfit it is now. Also, many drag strips were still independent in 1957.

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter