Profile Picture

312 285 hp and 312 S/C camshaft info

Posted By Dennis K. 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
YALINCOLN, SMOKEY UNICK HAS BEEN GONE SINCE 2001, HE RACED BOWTIES IN 55-56 AND WAS UNDER CONTRACT TO FORD FOR 57-58. RELEASED AFTER THE A.M.A. BAN IN 57 . IN 57 AT DARLINGTON HE ENTERED A 57 FORD # 31 DRIVEN BY CURTIS TURNER AND A 57 BOWTIE #3 DRIVEN BY PAUL GOLDSMITH. BOTH CARS WERE BLACK AND GOLD, AND BOTH CARS WERE TAKEN OUT IN SEPERATE WRECKS BY LEE PETTY!!

JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD!!! TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR 57 FORD INTERNATIONAL
ecode ragtop
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)

AS FAR AS DOCUMENTING A 285 H.P. 312, I DON'T THINK YOU CAN ,I.D. TAG WOULD STILL START WITH E-CODE. AS FAR AS PAPER WORK FROM C.T.C.I. ON E AND F CODES. THAT IS ONLY FROM THE DEARBORN PLANT AND THEY WERE ONLY AFTER THE T-BIRD INVOICES. AT SOME POINT THE SUGGESTION WAS MADE TO INCLUDE THE E& F CARS BUT SOME HAD ALL READY BEEN PASTED BY. AGAIN THIS WAS ONLY ONE ASSY. PLANT. AND AS WE ALL KNOW THOSE FACTORY RACE CARS,DID NOT ALWAYS HAVE A MATCHING ENGINE TO THE I.D. TAG

JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD!!! TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR 57 FORD INTERNATIONAL
PF Arcand
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
For what it's worth, I also have a copy of a 57 sales brochure that includes reference to both the 270 H.P. & 285 H.P. engines. So, it seems very unlikely that either were only sold as kits.

Paul
pegleg
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Tom,  that's cool info!

Paul, any chance that you could scan and post a copy of that sales brochure. I'd really like to see that!

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Ol Ford Guy
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)Supercharged (483 reputation)

Everything I have read said the E & F code cars came with the same cam as a D Code.  The E&F code cars however all came with dual valve springs.  My E Code car with original cam idles as smooth as you could imagine.  The optional 285 and 300+ Export cams were over the counter.  It sounds like there was some variance in these cams.  I don't think Ford ever listed the HP for an F code car with the export cam.

Paul J. - '57 E Code
PF Arcand
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Frank: Sorry, don't think I can copy & send it. My description of a brochure is a bit misleading. It's a very large photo copy, approx 14" x 20-1/2" & was possibly from a newspaper Ad. I found it at an Auto Swap meet.

Paul
PF Arcand
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The more I read here & in YBM about E & F code engines the more confusing it gets. I get the distinct impression that some of the inquiries are intended to infer that some Fords were running in NASCAR & USAC illegally. (when you beat a Chevrolet, you must be cheating..isn't that true?) As far as the dual 4 Bbl engines run by Ford in NASCAR in 1956 are concerned, if Ford's cams or other parts were illegal, it would likely have been discovered. For one thing, after a bad start to the season, late in the year Fords starting winning regularly, in spite of the Kiekhaufers teams Chrysler/Dodge juggernaut. I've read that Kiekhaufer protested the factory backed cars several times. Nearly all of his protests were denied...

Paul
Oldmics
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Ol Ford Guy/Paul J

So the "E" code vehicle that you own has dual valve springs from the factory?

Is it all original and are you the original owner or acquire it from the original owner.

If you think about it there is no reason to add additional springs on the valves if the cam was the regular "D" code camshaft.

Please refer to this previous post about the springs

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Topic48238-5-2.aspx

___________________________________________________________________________________

Dennis

Still diggin out my scanner so that I can post that 285 reference.Its under a huge pile!

I did mean the damper springs B6A-6513-D

I made an inquiry to Dave Tulowitzky who has probably seen the majority of the gate release invoices on T Birds that have been released.

He said that he has not yet seen any references to a high H.P. DSO on either the "E" or "F" cars.

He did comment that there may be such a designation,just that he has not yet seen one identified as such.

John Mummert

I concur with the specs you posted on the cam you got from Wally.

It matchs the N.O.S. blower unit that I have .

The E2 specs you posted do not match the 1958 specifications issued by Isky.The E2 you posted the specs on probably is a later E2 version. Isky changed the specs thru the years on the E2.

________________________________________________________________________________

So still no definitive evidience on the 285 cam.Ermm

Oldmics

Dennis K.
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Re 285 hp camshaft:  I have contacted a number of former Ford colleagues who were there back then, re what cam it was and the specs.  To date, it appears the discussion keeps centering around either the blower or an Isky grind.  However, they in turn are contacting others.  I'm hoping someone turns up something tangible, or perhaps even an actual camshaft.  Stay tuned.

Regards,

Dennis

pegleg
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

[quote][b]" I get the distinct impression that some of the inquiries are intended to infer that some Fords were running in NASCAR & USAC illegally."

Paul, I didn't mean that Ford was cheating, or at least not any more than anyone else. I know for a fact that the Pontiacs ran Isky stuff until the McKeller cams were developed. Keikhauffers Hemi's were turning 6000 + rpm's etc (hard to do with OE hydraulics). And yes I'm aware that they (Chrysler) offered a solid lifter 400hp version. Chevy had Duntov around by then etc. etc. They all used  aftyermarket parts.

Actually I'm pretty sure that this is the basis for most of the confusion with the E code cars. The teams, Holmann Moody and others probably tried everything they could get their hands on and tried to get the factorys to put numbers on the stuff that worked. Original or not. Most of the parts raced probably never made it into the parts system. The biggest problem will be that the people who were involved are almost all gone now. All we have left is the rumors.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter