Profile Picture

312 285 hp and 312 S/C camshaft info

Posted By Dennis K. 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Miker, Let me know what you find. Looks like a real one to me.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 29 minutes ago
Frank, Sent you an email.
Mike

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
robin
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Frank brought up a potential problem with this engine being the 285hp version. The dual point distributor has Mallory points. Is it possible that Ford ever shipped this engine with Mallory dual points? Once again, I have gone back to the original family and asked if anyone knows about distributor work being done? So far the consensus is that the original owner did not install these points. We may not know the real results of this engine until it gets down to the cam. I am hoping that sometime after next week, Mike and Frank can come up to Arlington for a look see. Then we can haul the engine out and send it away to the Y block experts. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4ccd7025-646a-4256-9428-b366.jpg

pegleg
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Mike do it again, I cannot find a message. (peglegrice@frontier.com)

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 29 minutes ago
Resent with an update.

Mike

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
robin
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)

I was able to contact one of the original owners kids. All he knows is that the car is supposed to have a special cam. He too, like the original owners brother does not think the engine has ever been messed with. I will contact John Mummert in hopes he will do the engine rebuild. I will not take it apart at all based on trying to maintain validity of the entire engine configuration. I am trying to get Miker and Frank Stubbs up to see the car before we pull the engine. 
If it turns out to be the elusive 285hp engine, all this effort will be worth it to finally solve some of the mystery surrounding it.
Y block Billy
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

has anybody discussed any of this with Verne Schumann and or last time I spoke to Holman and Moody they said the old guy who made the Y block cams for them was still with them, Maybe he knows something about the elusive 385 HP cam? Would hurt to call them and have a chat.

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

PF Arcand
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
This may have validity or not, & has been mentioned in the past. The most popular cam for Y-Blocks, particularly for Oval Track, was the Isky E-2 Revmaster. So, is it possible that this same grind was used by Ford, for the so called 285 H.P. engine? 

Paul
robin
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Frank and Kathy Stubbs drove up to my place in Arlington last week to look at the rusty old 57 E-Code engine. Frank could not see anything that looked suspicious other than the Mallory dual point distributor and missing spark plug insulators. I think at this point it is time to send the entire engine out for a rebuild to someone reputable who can document everything in hopes of addressing the authenticity of this engine. It is reported to have a special cam. It does have dual valve springs. So time to check the heads, compression and especially the cam. Then we will know for sure if this is indeed the special 285HP engine. But why does it have Mallory dual points?
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
robin (10/1/2017)
.....But why does it have Mallory dual points?

I don’t see the odometer mileage of the car being mentioned but assuming this was not a car with less than 5000 miles on it when it was put up, it’s easy to assume it’s been tuned up once if not several times before being parked .  Stock vehicles of that era were tuned up at 10K mile intervals simply due to the points burning and the spark plugs accordingly having buildups on them due to leaded gasoline.  The installation of any breaker point brand other than FoMoCo would have been acceptable and this being a performance car, using the Mallory points in lieu of something else is in line with what the original owner was expecting from a performance standpoint.  It would be interesting to see if the spark plugs are the originals or have been swapped to a different heat range or even a different brand.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter