Profile Picture

TIMING CHAINS: Roller or Link?

Posted By simplyconnected 15 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 7 hours ago
Dave:s

If he matched the pistons to the bores, we don't really care what the numbers are.  3.800 is standard 312 bore size, and the pistons are completely compatatable with the 292 block, crank, and rods.  It's not an uncommon practice.  Even today quite a few people bore their 292 blocks to 3.830 (.030 oversize 312), me included.  Works fine.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

simplyconnected
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Thanks, John.  He did mess me up in one area:  I asked him to order a GOOD full gasket set with a neoprene rear seal.  He got Fel Pro (which is good quality), but it came with a rope AND two little half-moon neoprene seals.  I called Fel Pro.  The guy said both seals are included because Ford switched from rope to neoprene.  If my rear bearing was machined for a rope, I had to stay with it.  If it was machined for neoprene, that's included in the gasket set too.

Ted Eaton gave me the straight answer, saying Best makes a neoprene seal for my stock 292 (with a rope).  I ordered the Best seal.  I should have ordered the Best full gasket set.  Cost me an extra $18 to learn that Best offers a much cheaper price.  Fel Pro was a lot more.

Thanks again John, for noticing the difference in piston sizes.

Royal Oak, Michigan (Four miles north of Detroit, and 12 miles NORTH of Windsor, Canada).  That's right, we're north of Canada.

Ford 292 Y-Block major overhaul by simplyconnected

charliemccraney
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
What's the deal with "machined for neoprene"? The seal area wasn't machined in any particular way for both builds of my engine. In fact, I didn't even need to turn the crank for the first go round. The neoprene seals did fine. One is still doing fine. A rope seal was removed from the engine during tear down after I got it from the salvage yard.

Lawrenceville, GA
mctim64
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I have used Fel Pro and Victor seals with no machining other than to polish the seal area and, unless someone is keeping a secret from me, the seal area is the same dia. on all Y cranks. Both early and late except the 312.

Also, here are the pics of the oil hole I drill in the front to lube the chain. I would have had it sooner but all the engines I have out in the garage are closed up and I hadn't taken any picture of this mod before.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

tim@yblockguy.com  Visalia, California    Just west of the Sequoias

GREENBIRD56
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Tim and Ted -

We have got to find a way to get all of this good stuff in an accessible file. I was just looking for the tip about drilling and tapping the back of the block for the "direct insert" PCV and couldn't for the life of me remember enough to find the right thread. But it is the best way to do that particular operation I've seen .......really need a good way to clue in the new guys without a constant re-hash. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

mctim64
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

AZ28 (4/10/2009)
Tim and Ted -

We have got to find a way to get all of this good stuff in an accessible file. I was just looking for the tip about drilling and tapping the back of the block for the "direct insert" PCV and couldn't for the life of me remember enough to find the right thread. But it is the best way to do that particular operation I've seen .......really need a good way to clue in the new guys without a constant re-hash. 

Steve,

that one was Dutchys idea, and a good one, I've now done that to my own block.   Wink

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

simplyconnected
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
mctim64 (4/10/2009)
Steve, that one was Dutchys idea, and a good one, I've now done that to my own block.   Wink

Steve, Thank You sooo much for the distributor upgrade doc's.  I'm chasing parts and definately going with the Duraspark system.

Hey guys, does the PM thing work?  I PM'ed Dutchy, asking for his PVC mod a couple days ago, but I don't see where it went through!? 

Tim I love the positive oiling for your chain with the sheetmetal deflector.  I will definately do that with mine.  Do you think it might work as well, grinding the 'trench' in the cam keeper plate instead of the block?

So, what is the rear block PVC mod?  Can you show or describe it?  Thanks again, guys.  Happy Easter.

Dave

Royal Oak, Michigan (Four miles north of Detroit, and 12 miles NORTH of Windsor, Canada).  That's right, we're north of Canada.

Ford 292 Y-Block major overhaul by simplyconnected

GREENBIRD56
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Dave - There is a tapped hole at the drivers side rear of the valley cover, facing up - the one closest to the centerline of the block I believe (the others outboard mount two throttle linkage pivots). This hole either joins - or can be drilled to join - the valley cavity of the engine. When drilled and tapped for the proper fitting, it provides a PCV port - and allows use of a valley cover that has no vent hole at the rear. Makes a neat installation and seals another potential leak point.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
Butch Lawson
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
AZ28 (4/12/2009)
Dave - There is a tapped hole at the drivers side rear of the valley cover, facing up - the one closest to the centerline of the block I believe (the others outboard mount two throttle linkage pivots). This hole either joins - or can be drilled to join - the valley cavity of the engine. When drilled and tapped for the proper fitting, it provides a PCV port - and allows use of a valley cover that has no vent hole at the rear. Makes a neat installation and seals another potential leak point.

Steve,

What threaded pcv valve do you use?

Butch Lawson

Manchester,  TN

mctim64
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

simplyconnected (4/12/2009)

Tim I love the positive oiling for your chain with the sheetmetal deflector.  I will definately do that with mine.  Do you think it might work as well, grinding the 'trench' in the cam keeper plate instead of the block?

Dave

Yes, I do think that would work just as well.  Wink

Reading This Topic

Site Meter