Profile Picture

Finned valley pan

Posted By BFOOTER03 16 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Dutchy -  I like your approach to drilling and tapping the block for the PCV valve.  Thanks for sharing an alternative method for PCV valve installation.  Indeed a case where you were thinking outside the box cover.

Likewise for Me Dutchy, I have a PCV and grommet in a stock valley cover made for a breather and it comes too close to the back of my Edelbrock 3x2 intake. I wish I would of thought of this.  Smile

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

tim@yblockguy.com  Visalia, California    Just west of the Sequoias

miker
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
I used a similar Moroso grommet/baffle combination some years ago with no problems. When I put the valley pan on a new larger motor with a high volume oil pump, I picked up enough oil off the dist. gear (apparently) to get a load of oil into the motor, cause detonation, and blow two head gaskets in two dyno runs, both on number 7.  I welded an aluminum baffle in underneath, with the holes pointing forward and have not had a problem since.  You can also buy an oil fill tube for a 69 Z28, plain or chrome, with a sealed fill cap and a bung for the PCV valve in that location.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
marvsmerc
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)

Last Active: 14 Years Ago
A little confused here on the pcv gromment pictures with the baffle in it. What is the purpose of it? Mine functions great without it, so I was wondering why it was needed as it would complicate the installation, which I always like to keep as simple as possible.   Maybe I was "lucky" !   Mike

mctim64
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

The baffle keeps the oil from being slung/splashed directly on the PCV valve so you don't suck it into the intake. If you don't have one and haven't had any problems, it's not unusual, not all PCVs have baffles . BigGrin

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Ditto to what Tim says.  The shielded grommet is just something that’s convenient and depending upon the application, just saves the hassle of installing a shield under the PCV valve.  These shielded grommets are relatively new so there’s many an older retrofitted PCV valve application that gets by okay without one.  My 272 powered Customline has been using an open sided grommet without an added baffle in the valley pan for over eighteen years without issue but for the most part, it’s driven normally.  But given the option, a little shielding sure can’t hurt.  And as miker  mentions, full throttle operation can potentially throw additional oil at the valve and overload it.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

aussiebill
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi ted, like the electric water pump adaption, i,m assuming this is for race application and would it work in street car/hotrod as regular pump with out getting overworked. i realise it would only come in once preset temp switch clicked it on? Thanks, Aussie bill.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

mctim64
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Mike,

by the way, i love the looks of your Merc. I would like to see some more angels. Smile

marvsmerc
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)

Last Active: 14 Years Ago
Thanks Tim, I also like to compliment you on your beautiful family including your cars, of course. ! Nice to see on here!  My cars are put away as it is winter here with cold and snow, but you can see a few more pictures of my Merc if you punch in capitoldistrictcruisers.com into google. A buddy of mine talked me into going down there & what a cruise in it was-over 1000 cars & I was one of the lucky one's............        Mike

Merry Christmas  & a Very Happy & Healthy New year to all!!

Jim
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Administrator

Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Year
I bought one of these from Ebay and then had a friend "Ted" weld the filler/breather tube into the front and put a pcv valve at the back. It is not a flimsy piece and is very good quality.

Link to Aluminum Valley Cover

If you just bid the $55.00 minimum, chances are that you will win it. As soon as your's is sold, he puts another one up.

Jim (site owner)
'56 Club Sedan - Ted Eaton built 429 hp '292/318, '54 Sunliner - stock '302
55Birdman
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Those valley covers on Ebay are Charlie Prices at Vintage speed. You can get them direct from him if you call and tell him you saw it on ebay. Thats what I did.

55Birdman Smile  Hickory NC

Reading This Topic

Site Meter