Profile Picture

Y block trips!

Posted By '49 bomb! 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 hours ago
When running on the single carb, was the PCV valve taken off?  As noted, if the PCV valve is not right, could contribute to the choke thing as was mentioned.  PCV valves are usually connected to venturii vacuum.  Your set up is not correct.

Check the throttle plates on the two outer carbs - do they close completly?  They should.

Early Ford carbs can't stand much pressure.  Usually most is about 2 1/2 PSI. 

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

'49 bomb!
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
When running on just a single carb, I did not have the PCV valve blocked off.as far as the throttle plates being completely closed,I have to reiterate again these carburetors were reworked by vintage speed, I'm quite sure that he has those throttle plates closing completely.as far as fuel pressure that's why I'm only running about 3 pounds because I heard two and a half to three is all that is necessary.
There were a lot of good suggestions that I need to try, but I need to figure out a way to get more PCV fittings. I have too many items running off of "T" off vacuum lines.. I need a fitting with at least 2 -3/8 in ports. Oneport would be for the PCV valve.the other Port would be for the brake booster. Then I need two smaller probably 1/4" ports. 1 Port for the vacuum advance and the other one for the automatic transmission vacuum. Then on top of it all it has to be small enough to fit between the two carburetorsWho's got an idea where I can get a fitting like this?
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 10 hours ago
If you want to fix the problem, stop assuming what others have done and verify that the throttle plates are closing.  Even pros make mistakes once in a while.

The easiest solution for your vacuum ports is to find or make a carburetor spacer with them.

Lawrenceville, GA
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
https://www.plews-edelmann.com/assets/1/7/AutomotiveFittings_90078.pdf

'49 bomb!
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)

Great job kultulz! I always enjoy reading your post!
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Available aftermarket is a spacer plate for under the carb (94 3 bolt) for a PCV.  I don't have any info on it, seen a dozen times.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

'49 bomb!
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Tried blocking off the PCV. Hoping that might help, but no difference. And yes I verified the throttle plates are completely closed by removing the
Linkage! As for fuel pressure, it's getting
Enough, the bowl gaskets are wet. So,I don't want to add any more pressure.
I am at a loss for this one...
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
'49 bomb! (8/8/2019)
Shut the fuel off to both end carburetors. Engine would not run. That's what I used block off plates on both ends. And no it is stock can.

I'm still not clear on this.  To block off the rear carbs, they need to be lifted and solid gaskets or shim stock put under them.  Then you are truly on the center carb only.  Your problem sounds like an issue with the center carb but still sounds like too much air from the end carbs.  Low float level comes to mind first and after that, an air leak around some of the air bleed / fuel discharge gaskets around the venturies.  Pulling the end carbs and looking through them will help to verify that the throttle blades are indeed fully closed.  Assume nothing at this point.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Pulling the end carbs and looking through them will help to verify that the throttle blades are indeed fully closed.  Assume nothing at this point.

AMEN!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0a03fd41-16a4-4496-839a-6d9b.jpg

Maybe at this point call VINTAGE for some tech advice. He rebuilt them. Did he describe any and all mods in the work order/receipt.

Rudder2fly
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Good Luck. I have finally given up on triples w/553 Eldebrock. My last effort was to buy a new center 98Carb on Ebay. I guess made in China. Charlies end carbs by the way and I had problems there too. So I isolated the end carbs and the new carb was also a problem. My fuel pressure set at 2lbs, the motor would show signs of flooding on hot restart shut down 20 minutes. I could screw idle jets all the way closed and the motor would keep running. Today I am going to disassemble the center carb and see what I can find. If I get the motor to run correctly the 3X2 will be 2barrel only! By the way I have $1100.00 in this set up.

56 VIC  Gene Stoehr Sr.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter