Profile Picture

Y block trips!

Posted By '49 bomb! 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Just to clarify things a little bit. I did remove both outer carbs used a blocking plate with gaskets. The car ran absolutely fine with just the center carburetor! I've tried every solution everyone has suggested. I have the trips on it because I want to be able to use them. So I'm still scratching my head with this one...
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
I did remove both outer carbs used a blocking plate with gaskets. The car ran absolutely fine with just the center carburetor! I've tried every solution everyone has suggested. I have the trips on it because I want to be able to use them. So I'm still scratching my head with this one.

Have you called VINTAGE and asked how he did the outboard plates as to whether they were sealed/closed or left a little open? It doesn't take much to create a lean condition. Remember, there is no idle circuits in the ends, supposedly.

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
I did remove both outer carbs used a blocking plate with gaskets. The car ran absolutely fine with just the center carburetor! I've tried every solution everyone has suggested. I have the trips on it because I want to be able to use them. So I'm still scratching my head with this one.

Have you called VINTAGE and asked how he did the outboard plates as to whether they were sealed/closed or left a little open? It doesn't take much to create a lean condition. Remember, there is no idle circuits in the ends, supposedly.

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a56f9fff-1b5d-402c-8f60-1920.jpgFlorida Phil had a similar Setup put together by Vintage Speed. As I recall he had Problems also.I think he had to go back to Vintage Speed for Assistance  If blocking off End Carbs and running only Center Carb gets it running good then there may be a problem with end Carbs.It may just be Case of loosening the Screws for the Plates and re-setting them and tighten Screws but I would check with VS first so He does not say U messed with them. As far as Vacuum Ports My 3 x 2 Intake has a Port at the End similar to "B" Manifolds.If required You may have to take Manifold off and drill and Tap. Your PCV needs to stay on Middle Port not rear Port if Added. I found a Fitting for rear Port from a T-Bird that has a Thread for a large Power Brake Hose Fitting and a smaller outlet that allows a  smaller vacuum line for Wiper Motor or Distributor Hookup. You could "T" those 2 together to that Type of Vacuum Outlet. Again the PCV and Brake Booster should be Separate Hookups. Pictures of my Offenhauser Manifold Setup I bought on Ebay. Project for next Winter. It has 2 Vacuum outlets. Does anyone know what the 2 Threaded Boss' are for. next to Vacuum Outlet at the back of Manifold?http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/37495280-ba56-4c46-b6f2-e826.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f716493e-f647-4eaf-861f-0db1.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c5cfc9fd-cec3-4328-8dee-6c3d.jpgt?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
'49 bomb!
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)

Great replies every body!!!
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
49Bomb. . . .  If the center carb works perfect all alone send Charlie back his 2 outer ones and get 2 more centers putting each one one in the center alone and see if everything runs right. Then add them to the outer mounts one at a time. I have no idea why everyone thinks you need non idle outers.

In the 60's when I started with 3 94's or 97's they were ALL the same. We idled on all of them and when we set the progressive linkage the outers squirted in fuel with no stumble. We set the outer floats a little lower so vibration would not cause flooding at idle, back then we were on them a lot more so it wwas not a problem too much. Were not talking a 348 Scrubby here with the correct Rochesters. I had a GMC 270  6 with a Howard log manifold with 5 carbs and idled on all 5.

I have dual quads and idle on both, it's a must. I only choke the rear one, but for starting but need to squirt both when the engine is stone cold. 

You can put a plate under the center with a hose fitting for your PCV and drill and tap the manifold anywhere for the Power Brakes I'd do it behind the rear carb or get a second plate. 1/2" aluminum are ez to find I think Speedway sell them and you can drill and tap them or drill a 3/8" hole and press in a steel piece of line with JB weld on it.

This is hotrodding and it ain't ever ez or cheap... You should price out 2 matched Carter small base WCFB's and and Edelbrock restored dual quads set up..Then you make the linkage...Good luck and don't give up...I have no idea what trips are...but I know 3-2's when I see them.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
'49 bomb!
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Trips..
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Yep 3-2's.. Rolleyes

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
DryLakesRacer (8/12/2019)
49Bomb. . . .  If the center carb works perfect all alone send Charlie back his 2 outer ones and get 2 more centers putting each one one in the center alone and see if everything runs right. Then add them to the outer mounts one at a time. I have no idea why everyone thinks you need non idle outers.

In the 60's when I started with 3 94's or 97's they were ALL the same. We idled on all of them and when we set the progressive linkage the outers squirted in fuel with no stumble. We set the outer floats a little lower so vibration would not cause flooding at idle, back then we were on them a lot more so it wwas not a problem too much. Were not talking a 348 Scrubby here with the correct Rochesters. I had a GMC 270  6 with a Howard log manifold with 5 carbs and idled on all 5.

I have dual quads and idle on both, it's a must. I only choke the rear one, but for starting but need to squirt both when the engine is stone cold. 

You can put a plate under the center with a hose fitting for your PCV and drill and tap the manifold anywhere for the Power Brakes I'd do it behind the rear carb or get a second plate. 1/2" aluminum are ez to find I think Speedway sell them and you can drill and tap them or drill a 3/8" hole and press in a steel piece of line with JB weld on it.

This is hotrodding and it ain't ever ez or cheap... You should price out 2 matched Carter small base WCFB's and and Edelbrock restored dual quads set up..Then you make the linkage...Good luck and don't give up...I have no idea what trips are...but I know 3-2's when I see them.

"Trips"  short for "Triples" maybe? As in 3 Carburetors.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

The issue I had with my triple Holley 94s was with the center carb.  It had an off idle stumble.  We could never find the exact problem, so Charlie replaced the carb for me and it worked perfectly after that. If your engine runs OK with the end carbs blocked off, your problem is in one or both of the end carbs. These carburetors are 60 years old. I suspect the circuits are blocked. Try to find which one is causing the problem and swap it out. Charlie has a mountain of them in his back yard.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter