Profile Picture

Y block trips!

Posted By '49 bomb! 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Got a rebuilt y block, it has "trips".
3 Ford script "94". The center carb.
Has choke, 52 jet's. The 2 out board
No choke 49 jet's. The carbs or just rebuilt by a well-known rebuilder. The issue I'm having is: in order for the car to run I have to have the choke pulled out more than halfway. It has a stock fuel pump with a fuel pressure gauge. I have it set for 3 pounds. But it doesn't seem to hold a steady pressure I had a lot of times it will go all the way down to zero.
So what do you guys think about me having to run with this choke on?
Thanks
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
What are You using for a Regulator? Try running without Regulator and see what that does. Maybe Carbs are not getting a Constant supply of Gas if the Gauge is reading correctly.?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
The issue I'm having is: in order for the car to run I have to have the choke pulled out more than halfway. It has a stock fuel pump with a fuel pressure gauge. I have it set for 3 pounds. But it doesn't seem to hold a steady pressure I had a lot of times it will go all the way down to zero.

You need to first verify pressure and volume supply with a QUALITY MECHANICS fuel pressure tester.

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

KULTULZ (8/7/2019)
The issue I'm having is: in order for the car to run I have to have the choke pulled out more than halfway. It has a stock fuel pump with a fuel pressure gauge. I have it set for 3 pounds. But it doesn't seem to hold a steady pressure I had a lot of times it will go all the way down to zero.

You need to first verify pressure and volume supply with a QUALITY MECHANICS fuel pressure tester.

If You have a Vacuum Gauge most also read Pressure. U should be able to "T" into Fuel line between Pump and Car to verify Pressure.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If you have to have the choke out, it usually means a vacuum leak.  Check the hoilddown bolts in the intake and carbs as  well as any source that have vacuum or item that is vacuum operated.  Check all vacuum lines.

Could also be a carb float that isn't right.  Even pros make mistakes.  Running progressive linkage?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 48 minutes ago
3lbs is not enough, I run 4-5
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I have a Standard Carter Fuel Pump on mine for an early 60's 352. Maximum Pressure seems to be 4.5-5.5 so really my Pressure Regulator is not doing much except smoothing out Pulses from the Fuel Pump. My Holley Carb is Happy-no Flooding.

'49 bomb!
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)

Thanks for all the replies guys! Yes I am running progressive linkage! haven't been able to check the fuel pressure yet can't find a place to tap-in it's feasible. What I did notice is if I cover the rear outboard carburetor up completely with my hand, it will stall! I had these carburetors reworked by vintage speed to cure this problem. My main concern is why I still have to run with the center choke almost closed?
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 28 minutes ago
Is that black vacuum hose connected to a PCV?  If so, try plugging it and see if you still have to run with the choke on.  Too big a PCV acts the same as a vacuum leak.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
'49 bomb!
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

That black vacuum hose has two purposes, it does connect to the PCV valve, but it also supplies vacuum for my brake booster.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter