Profile Picture

TBird Multiple Carb Options

Posted By Florida_Phil 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I think it is the back carb that is a problem with a TBird hood.  I understand some owners shaved down the mounting flange to get the needed clearance.  One person that I talked about clearance said that he did machine down the flange (or flanges)  

Florida_Phil (11/28/2018)
Thanks.  I asked for pics.   Do you think these can be made to clear a 55 Thunderbird hood?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

DryLakesRacer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Florida... If you want I'll measure from the valley cover pan to the top of the carb air horn. Front of the front and rear of the rear of my dual quads. The manifold is an Edelbrock and carbs are Carter WCFB's there are 3/8" phenolic spacers under each one. The stock Ford manifold is probably lower.. I don't know anyone with 3-2's I can measure.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
It would be nice if all of the differing intake types, both 6V (EDEL 553 and 573) and 8V (56 and 57) intakes were measured and the results listed here for future reference(s), in this instance from valley pan to intake plenum heightshttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6f5dbf95-05a4-4382-a680-c4dc.jpg.

Also, carb heights (2V and 4V) base to throttle body ACL MTG boss) in the same fashion as the 8V setups CTR to CTR measurements

Florida_Phil
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Measurements would be helpful. I am leaning toward dual AFBs.  The best carbs for me won't be polished.  There is a rebuilt set on EBay right now.   I can't imagine two of these would have hood clearance issues.  These would look great on my TBird with a couple of small Cobra style air cleaners. If I can find a decent manifold, I would be good to go.  I've had some issues with old aluminum manifolds before. It can cost more to fix one than their worth.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/bf7b763c-373b-4348-89da-75b6.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
There is a 257 on ebay right now, https://www.ebay.com/itm/FM257-Vintage-edelbrock-intake-manifold-Y-block-Ford/183524392684 . When Ted tested 2x4  intakes, the 255 actually did a little better.  Could be a fluke with the particular intakes used but 2 sets were used with the same result, 1 set stock and 1 set ported.  http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2014/01/17/y-block-ford-dual-quad-testing-on-aluminum-heads-part-ii/
The same trend existed with the '56 and '57 Ford manifolds.

Lawrenceville, GA
Florida_Phil
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

The EBay asking price for the 257 is $600 and the manifold has some stripped threads.  Seems high to me. It would be worth the money if it didn't have issues.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

That is a consideration.  Easy fix, though.  You could send a message and make an offer.  If nothing else is wrong besides some stripped carb flange threads, I'd jump on it.  Things like that need to be had when they become available.  Could be waiting around a while for another to show up.
If you get Y Block Magazine, check those classifieds, too.  I think there has been a 2x4 of some kind listed there recently.

Lawrenceville, GA
DryLakesRacer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

The AFB's will need the 1/2" spacers but I still think they will fit under the hood. I see the one carb with the choke removed has a set of those booster "collars" that lower the CFM. Anyone else ever try them? I would think for the use of AFB's it would be a good thing since finding the 400's is getting difficult.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Vic Correnti
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Here is a picture of my eye candy, 2 600 CFM Edelbrocks on a 257 Edelbrock manifold with adapters from Speedway and fit in my 55 Bird. This combo was dyno'd at 15 HP less then a Holley 750 and Mummert intake. I have had the carbs on a 255 intake and that was an easier filter fit then the 257. I have had 2x4's on this car since the 60's and wouldn't have it any other way. Once the Edelbrocks have been tuned I have never touched them. I have had the front carb and the rear carb as the primary and it doesn't matter, right now they are both linked together.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/25b12b33-1840-404a-b09f-4648.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I looked in the most recent YBM and did not see any in the classifieds.  I might not be remembering that correctly.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter