Profile Picture

Finned valley pan

Posted By BFOOTER03 16 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)Supercharged (323 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 12 Years Ago
Nice engine Dutchy.  That is exactly the look I am after.  Can't imagine that a finned pan with a filler would not sell well.  Regardless its nice to know it can be done or should I say will be done again.  Clear power coating would be choice for keeping it clean.  Thanks

Warsaw, IN
marvsmerc
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)

Last Active: 14 Years Ago
Wow, Dutchy's engine brings back memories when My engine was on a stand with all new paint & goodies quite a few years ago. Looks very nice. Guess I'll put a little elbow grease into freshening mine up after seeing yours.  Anyhow, I had a machinist friend of mine bore the hole into my finned valley cover. He angled it approximetly the same as the original.  I made up the breather spout using 1 1/2" o.d. aluminum & I rounded the edges on top of the pipe. Works great & is better than having those rubber gromments in your valve cover.      Mike

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Week

Seems to be quite a few of those finned covers floating around with added in breather tubes.  Here’s a Y engine with a modified finned valley cover and with an added aluminum breather tube welded in place that was done earlier this year.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

bird55 (12/4/2008)
I think I might be getting one of those Valley covers in time for Christmas!?

Al.  How’s this look?  This is the cover you had drop shipped to me for mods.  Will ship out as soon as I come across a box big enough for shipping which should be early this week sometime.  And here’s also a pair of pictures of a PCV grommet with a built in baffle or shield which eliminates the need for a baffle to be attached to the underside of the valley pan.

bird55
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hey thanks Ted-it looks perfect, Delivery sounds fine. Engine is just now back in the car with other sewups to do. That's exactly what we talked about. Let me know what I owe you and I'l go ahead and send it.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

Daniel Jessup
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Ted anyway that you could give us the part number to that grommet and the size of your valley pan hole for the grommet? What pcv valve do you recommend?

Not trying to hijack the thread - but would think others might want to know...

Dan

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

charliemccraney
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Ted, have you used those grommets?  I used some and they were horrible.  They baffle well but they also add a significant restriction to the breathing ability.  I had two of those grommets with one breather in each valve cover and the pressure would blow the dipstick out a few inches.  Switching to the regular grommets fixed it.  But I do need to epoxy a baffle in there because a little oil is escaping. I think it's best to install a propper baffle and use regular breather grommets.

Lawrenceville, GA
2DRHRDTP57
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Daniel Jessup (12/7/2008)
Ted anyway that you could give us the part number to that grommet and the size of your valley pan hole for the grommet? What pcv valve do you recommend?

Not trying to hijack the thread - but would think others might want to know...

Dan

Nice work TED I like your style, Interested to know also what PCV valve you used, I purchased one for a 68 Camaro on ebay its a AC Delco part not a scrub part by the way, and fitted it, i drilled and tapped it 1/4 NPT into one of the early linkage mount holes in the block whilst I had the motor apart, I have checked the direction of flow and its correct as per the instruction sheet that came with it.

1957 ________________ Ford

\___((_______________))___/

(@)________V__________(@)

[________I_____I_________]

__[__]__ o_______o___[__]___

Y Blocks, The New Flathead!

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

charliemccraney (12/7/2008)
Ted, have you used those grommets? I used some and they were horrible. They baffle well but they also add a significant restriction to the breathing ability. I had two of those grommets with one breather in each valve cover and the pressure would blow the dipstick out a few inches. Switching to the regular grommets fixed it. But I do need to epoxy a baffle in there because a little oil is escaping. I think it's best to install a propper baffle and use regular breather grommets.
Depending upon the grommet, sometimes the shielded opening is not quite large enough and I’ll have to take a razor blade and open it up some more. But I’ve never used these grommets in the valve covers either for breathers or for a PCV valve; have only used them in those instances where a PCV valve needs to go into a valley pan or at the rear of an intake manifold on other families of engines. I don’t have a part number for these particular grommets as I get them in an unpackaged state but I see them being sold by various vendors at swap meets. For the pictured grommet, I use a 1 1/8” hole saw but like with any grommet, I’ll measure it with a pair of calipers and then cut the hole as required. I’ve a bin full of different grommets and they require a multitude of different hole sizes.
As far as PCV valve selection goes, I’ll simply pick out one for an engine of a similar cubic inch as the engine I’m fitting it to. For a Y, I’ll use a PCV valve originally designed for a 289 or 302 Ford. Depending upon the specific application I have in mind, I’ll get one with a straight or angled top so there are lots of options in this regard.

Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

2DRHRDTP57 (12/7/2008)
Nice work TED I like your style, Interested to know also what PCV valve you used, I purchased one for a 68 Camaro on ebay its a AC Delco part not a scrub part by the way, and fitted it, i drilled and tapped it 1/4 NPT into one of the early linkage mount holes in the block whilst I had the motor apart, I have checked the direction of flow and its correct as per the instruction sheet that came with it.

Dutchy -  I like your approach to drilling and tapping the block for the PCV valve.  Thanks for sharing an alternative method for PCV valve installation.  Indeed a case where you were thinking outside the box cover.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter