Profile Picture

Stainless headers in Aussieland

Posted By slick56 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/0f48232e-5285-483c-9cd5-2cfe.JPGSquared to the flange.
CK and his 55Tbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/482728ae-1f44-48d7-807c-a00e.JPG
ian57tbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
The welds look neat. Interesting how one bolt hole is chamfered and the other is ground. Have you put a straight edge on the flanges to check see if they are flat? When do you plan on installing then? I would be interested to see how well they fit.
Rono
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I agree on the welds! Very nice TIG welding. Ian, I sent you a PM.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

ian57tbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

I've got a set of these stainless headers here now that I will be taking to the US with me and have been just checking them out.

The exhaust flange openings measure about 35.5mm/1-7/16 tall and 37.5mm nearly 1-1/2 wide. I was wondering what the standard port sizes were and what are the port dimensions on the aluminium heads?

They appear to be almost an exact copy of the Sanderson headers except from the pictures I've seen Sanderson's have the round tube coming all the way to the head face were as these have been formed to suit the square port. They even use exactly the same tube configuration into the collectors as the Sanderson's. Was wondering if there was a purpose to the configuration because looking at them and measuring them up against the car it seems they could have been constructed differently so as to more closely equalise the primary tube lengths.

Any thoughts?
5d6fairlane
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Aluminum head ports are 1.137 x 1.350.
slick56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
[quote]ian57tbird (3/5/2014)
I've got a set of these stainless headers here now that I will be taking to the US with me and have been just checking them out.

Watch out you don't get mugged - a few people are interested in those headers BigGrin

South Australia

CK and his 55Tbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Good one slick.

hey Ian, have you checked them with a magnet?
My set has some attraction over the pipes, yet the flanges have none.

What would you guys think of this?
aussiebill
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
CK and his 55Tbird (3/6/2014)
Good one slick.

hey Ian, have you checked them with a magnet?
My set has some attraction over the pipes, yet the flanges have none.

What would you guys think of this?

Same as you ! different quality stainless tube, Thats why they are priced so, but will be ok for a far wihle. You often see on boats with stainless bowrails and brackets, brown staining, which is lesser quality stainless.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

ian57tbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Strange, I just checked the magnetism and both the pipes and flanges have none on these. The steel must be from a different batch. I don't think different grades will be to much of an issue unless the waves are splashing over the front of your car. Different grades have different hardness and can be more brittle.

Ron the measurements you were after are, for the left side they are about 9in out from the face that goes to the head and about 7in to the centre of the collector and for the right it is about 7-3/4in out and about 6in to the collector centre.

By the measurements for the ports on the aluminium heads the 1-1/2 tubing still has a larger cross section. I was expecting the ports to be bigger than that.

Slick it sounds like I might have to pick up a Saturday night special when I get out of the airport, to protect the headers.

Anyone got any thoughts on how the primaries go into the collectors, could it be related to firing order or is it just haphazard design?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter