Profile Picture

Blown Stroker Motor Update

Posted By Rono 11 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Chuck, I grew up in Ohio, about 25 miles from Arfons shop.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Y block Billy
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Ron,

Stopped at my motor guys last night to bring him some parts, he is starting his own shop and talking to him he mentioned when he gets his dyno set up he supposed to dyno a Y block from Pittsfield with a supercharger on it, I said I know whos motor it is, I may go there and help him set up his dyno and definately want to be there when it is tested!

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

Rono
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Billy;

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I was traveling. I spoke with Steve before I left for CA. He is good friends with the guy that runs Central Maine Mustang in Pittsfield and who I got his name from. We talked for a while about dyno testing the motor and while I would love to have you guys help with that, he said that he wouldn't have his dyno room set-up for 6 months. I was hoping to get it done sooner than that. There is a guy in NH that has an engine dyno who I spoke with yesterday. He is partners with the machine shop that did the block machining for me. He would like to dyno the motor for me, but never did a Y Block and isn't sure if his adapter plate will fit my bellhousing. I e-mailed him the measurements of the bellhousing yesterday and I may need to buy John M's T-5 adapter plate first. Anyway, I would rather play you and Steve if possible to get the motor dynoed if we could get it done this summer.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Y block Billy
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I just brought a block up to their new shop they needed for a 390 rebuild, things look a little ways away but Steve left his last post and is working there full time so it may come together quicker than thought, We Hope! Nice looking setup and the other partner is a sharp Ford Man all the way!

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

ejstith
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Damn ! That's purty !!

Doing Fords for 45 years. '56 Customline Victoria

E.J. in Havana FL
Rono
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

I had to travel from Maine to NH to get my first round of dyno testing done yesterday. I allowed 2 days for this, but it turned out not to be enough. The dyno operator never did a Y-block and had to make special spacers for the bellhousing to adapt to his dyno. This took a long time and he worked long into the night. The next morning, around 11:00 Am, I was happy in the fact that the motor fired right up and ran well. We set the initial timing at 13 degrees advance and I re-curved the MSD distributor for a maximum of 38 degrees advance at 2,400 RPM. The dyno room was in a converted barn and even with 2 big exhaust fans and a big blower fan on the motor, temperatures reached almost 100 degrees and 60% humidity.

We broke-in the motor with the belt and carb hat off the motor, but he never monitored the mass air flow going into the carb. He said he didn't think it was needed. Anyway, I found out what I needed to know. The motor held together and ran great, but fell short on the horsepower. The data seemed to show that the 650 double pumper was a little too small and the stock 57 EDB exhaust really killed it. By the time we got to this point, it was 5PM and since I only had a hotel room for 1 night and had almost a 4 hour drive ahead of me, I decided to pull the plug and stop the testing. We could have gone up a couple of steps with the secondary jets from #76 to #78, but I really didn't have the time and didn't think I would gain that much given the carb and exhaust limitations.

The blower added 75 HP over the same RPM range as when the motor was run without the belt attached. We only ran it up to 5,000 RPM when we got almost 300HP, but was still climbing. The torque peaked at 360 ft/lbs @3,200 RPM.

At least now I know the motor is good to go into the 37 Coupe. I'll get some good headers and bump the carb up to a 750 double pumper. Maybe by then I can get with Y Block Billy and get the motor dyno tested again in Maine this time or get the coupe finished and have a chassis dyno test done.

Ronohttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/476e7534-a13d-46ef-97ba-ba4c.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

mctim64
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Good job Ron! I think you will see some improvement in the numbers with a few changes. Great starting point though. Wink

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

tim@yblockguy.com  Visalia, California    Just west of the Sequoias

Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago

Congratulations on making a number of successful dyno pulls without engine problems. The first time for firing any engine is always with trepidation as there are a myriad of problems that can come to the forefront. Thorough preparation in your case has obviously paid off.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Rono
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words Ted and Tim! I took a "Flip" video of the dyno pull and I have attached the link below. I don't know if it will work because I have never tried this before.

http://flipshare.theflip.com/EN_US/5.12/Partners/Other/ShareVideos.htm

Rono

slick56
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hey Rono, great engine! The link didn;t work for me (google chrome), will try explorer a little later. Did you get your '37? If so, howz that coming on?

South Australia

Reading This Topic

Site Meter