Profile Picture

Blown Stroker Motor Update

Posted By Rono 11 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Aussie, other than the nitrophil floats, it's probably a good idea to make sure the needle and seats will flow enough fuel, especially with a Teapot. Ron ought to be OK since the Holley has two needle and seats, but I was amazed at how much effort was required to make the teapot work. John actually has a solonoid bypass system that blows fuel past the needle/seat under power and boost.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Hutz 292
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
That eninge looks beautiful. Have you thought about running an intercooler? That would bring you intake air temps down for safer boost air and help prevent detination. I was wondering what kind of spark plugs you were going to run? I think this build is awesome and looks great can't wait to see it run.
Rono
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I haven't thought too much about an intercooler. The plan is to put this motor in a 37 Ford coupe with an open hood (open hood sides) so I will get outside air. I am concerned about detonation issues but I have taken some preventative measures up front (like relieving the block to lower compression) so hopefully it won't be an issue. There were attermarket dip stick oil coolers in the day. I haven't actually seen any, but Moonshadow and I have talked about it.

I'll be running Champion RF11Y gapped at .035" for starters and we'll see how thise work.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Hutz 292
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)

It's not the fresh air that is an issue it's the supercharger air that gets super heated especially and older supercharger that is less efficient. Once you start compressing air is heats up fast. You can end up with 80 degree ambient air getting up to 150 degrees or higher under boost. A good intercooler will keep it within 10 degrees of ambient.
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
As far as damage to the supercharger by heat that is correct. Its the unit that gets hot then the air passing through heats up. I'm not sure of the parameters for an intercooler but the consensus was it wouldn't make enough difference on these systems. Might be wrong, but none of our fast McCulloch guys is running one. The oil cooler makes sense just to prevent early parts failure. I've lost one of these units on the highway and it happens almost too quick to pull over. Bearing froze, belt broke, and there were a lot of damaged parts in the drive assembly. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Hutz 292
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I am not worried about damage to the supercharger but if it does get that hot it would be very significant to cool down the air into the engine. We had a 97 chevy tahoe come into the shop with a vortec supercharger that was non intercooled. It made 287 whp tuned up with out an inter cooler and had knock. We installed a water to air inter cooler (do to room constraints) and didn't touch the tune and it instantly made 305 whp and had no knock. We were able to advance the timing and made 325 whp when we were done. Without the inter cooler the efficiency of the supercharger goes way down. If you can fit it somewhere I would highly suggest it.
Hutz 292
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Where did you get the decals for your valve covers? They are sweet, I have what looks like the same valve covers but I love that Y emblum. If they are available I would like some. They look awesome!
Rono
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

The emblems are reproductions of original fender emblems that showed up on Ebay a while back. They are really nice, well made reproductions, but I haven't seen any listed since I bought the ones I have.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

glrbird
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The 37 coupe is one of my favorites, any pictures?

Gary Ryan San Antonio.TX.

Rono
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I have to go and get it in a couple of weeks. I've been waiting for the weather in the mid-west (and here in Maine) to get a little better. The coupe is in IowaBigGrin It will be quite the road trip adventure, but make for good story telling!Tongue

Rono

Reading This Topic

Site Meter