Profile Picture

Y-block rebuild topic

Posted By capri-53-54 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Hi everybody!

As a newbie I would like to introduce myself. My name is Stephan and live in The Netherlands.

I found this forum specialized in Y-block and after searching the web I recognise a Y-block is a rare engine.

We ( my brother in law and me) onwn 2 lincoln capri coupés. The 54 coupe is in good shape ecxept the engine. When the engine is running and the car isn't moving a lot of carter fumes are being produced. So nasty that at a traffic light, your eyes start to irritate.

Looking at internet marketplaces we spotted a donor car, a 53 lincoln. The car rested in the nevada desert and the nature has done its work on it. Initially we bought the car as donor, but we are finishing this car as rat-look.

The idea is to use this engine which is in my garage now, for the 54 lincoln. The company which sold the donor car told me the engine was revised. But I have my doubts.

My wife and I own a 75 corvette stingray (www.stingray75.nl) where I've put on some edelbrock heads and a camshaft. So some experience is availlable for tearing appart the 53 engine. And I've attended a meeting where we dismantled a chevy engine and rebuild the engine again. I'm allso supported by several dvd's how to rebuild chevy engines.

But as a relative dummy I will make mistakes. That could be nasty and with some hints problems could be prevented. In worst case scenario the block is permanently damaged and all affort is lost.

I want to use this topic to post continuous information of what I've done and what I'm going to do. I hope you would like to follow this topic and hopefully provide your best practices.

The first step ot today is putting the engine in my new 1500lbs engine stand, but the stand is suffering under this extreme weight.

The next thing is to take off the intake manifold and the heads. This will relief the engine stand somewhat.

Regards,

Stephan

Owner of lincoln '53 capri coupe and capri coupe '54

Threaded View

Threaded View
Forum Post Y-block rebuild topic By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hi Stephan. Welcome to the site. Looks like you have a Lincoln... By Ted ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Well, thats the first lesson learnt ;). I'll keep on posting what I'm... By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I do not know anything about the Lincoln Y block but be sure to check... By kevink1955 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Thank you Kevin. That's one thing I'll check for sure. Before... By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Welcome Stephan, The heads are casting number EAD. As you disassembly... By John Mummert ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]John Mummert (7/8/2011)[/b][hr]Welcome Stephan, The heads... By aussiebill ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Bill, ECT would be the truck version. Should have a gear driven cam,... By John Mummert ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Stephan: What you've learned about SBC assembly won't help you a lot... By PF Arcand ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/54Lincoln/ is a good... By glrbird ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Thanks everybody for your replies! As soon as I disassemble the heads... By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Stephan, It is not the water pump, but the oil pump that is the sane... By ecode ragtop ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hi Tom, You are right and I am wrong;). Here is the website:... By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hi, I've come a little bit further with taking the engine apart. I've... By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Stephan: there is a person who goes by RB that comes on here... By PF Arcand ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post ... By MoonShadow ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Sorry, re previous Y-Block Magazine posting. The mailing zip code is... By PF Arcand ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post . @ Paul, Thanks for the advice. I'll contact them and... By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post If the clearence for the pistons and rings is good the ridge may not... By MoonShadow ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Thanks for the advice. So it isn't looking that bad. I've checked out... By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Stephan . A set of micrometers and snap gauges will go a... By Ted ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hi Ted, I've done finemechanics as a study in the past. From this I... By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]capri-53-54 (7/16/2011)[/b][hr].....Is a snap gauge a gauge... By Ted ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post FYI: Beware! I purchased some cheap chinese snap gauges, and didn't... By DANIEL TINDER ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Ok! Now I understand. My first thougt was 2 parts which you can snap... By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post hi stephen, i'm also a newbie i've just finished a ground up resto on... By capri54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hi Paul!! We need to keep in touch!! Thanks for the part website... By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hi everybody! It took time tome to continue in the lincoln y-block.... By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hi Stephan
Using a ridge remover can be hazardous if you are not...
By snowcone ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Gary, This is a advice which is very helpfull for me. A dutch saying... By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post HELL YEAH !!!

i just found an ally on this xxxxxx up...
By Vince ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hi Vince, If your shopping in Roermond, than we can make an... By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Here is another Lincoln owner on the Continent. He is in Finland and... By RB ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hi! I've been on the Power Big Meet in Vasterås this year! There were... By Vince ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post hey Stephan,

took me a while...

i thought you...
By Vince ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hi Vince, Next opportunity to meet would be in Nederweert (NL) next... By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Vince: Judging by the large size of the exhaust manifolds, they... By PF Arcand ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hi Everybody! It is time to bring this topic alive again. And the main... By capri-53-54 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post You've got the engine apart, take it to an engine reconditioner and... By rick55 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Vince: Re hole in the block near the fuel pump. Not sure but if... By PF Arcand ( 13 Years Ago )

Reading This Topic

Site Meter