Profile Picture

Y-block rebuild topic

Posted By capri-53-54 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Vince: Re hole in the block near the fuel pump. Not sure but if similar to the Ford/Merc Y-Blk, its likely for the crankcase vent canister..which is obviously missing. See a photo of a Y-Blk with the side canister for what I mean.. however, some later engines had a rear exit pipe vent out of the valley cover.

Paul
rick55
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
You've got the engine apart, take it to an engine reconditioner and get them to either put it in a hot bath or acid bath. Either way you will get a perfectly clean engine. You will have to instal new cam bearings but, as the bath may eat them. But at least then you can fit some of the later grooved bearings in their place. Get the machine shop to fit them for you.

The sludge that is in these engines is hard to get rid of. A high pressure cleaner may work, but you will make a hell of a mess which won't be appreciated by your other half.

I pulled a 56 engine apart that had that much crud inside it, I filled a 2 gallon (9 liter) bucket and then gave up. Took it to be acid bathed. Quicker and cheaper in the long run.

Do yourself a favour.

Regards

Rick - West Australia
Do Y Blocks Downunder run upside down? Gravity Sucks!!
capri-53-54
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Hi Everybody!

It is time to bring this topic alive again. And the main reason is that I had some time again to do some work.

In the summer I've reamed the ridges and this worked quite well.

Here is the reamer. Look on youtube how to use it, but use common sence.

Yesterday I took the pistons out.

The pistons and the block have plenty of carbon deposit and sludge. I'm looking for a way to remove it.

Anyone some good ideas? On the web I've found sea foam, but this is more likely to be used in a running engine.

Here is a detail if the piston. The original grooves are still visible.

To my opinion the pistons are re-usable.

Next job is to take out all oil galley plugs and to clean each oil passage with a metal brush. Next is the measurements of the bores.

Keep you updated.

Stephan

Owner of lincoln '53 capri coupe and capri coupe '54

PF Arcand
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Vince: Judging by the large size of the exhaust manifolds, they probably aren't that bad for efficiency. For instance the 57 and later Y-blk manifolds, which are similar but smaller, don't test to badly. You might want to spend your time and money elsewhere..

Paul
capri-53-54
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)

Hi Vince,

Next opportunity to meet would be in Nederweert (NL) next weekend if I'm not mistaking.

I've replaced one manifold in the white 54 capri with the one of the 53 capri. I'm thinking of making one set myself. One friend or mine works at a laser cutting machine. In autocad I can draw a continuous plate which is bolted onto the head. The rest will be tube and welding bends, or square tubing to keep more or less the original appearance. I only have a mig aparatus.

Your window wipers are vacuum operated, but I doubt if they work. On the white capri they stop on the window screen in the upright position and stay there...... Make high rpm and close the trottle so the manifold vacuum is the highest. This does the trick to make them go home sometimes. One of the things which needs to be done.

I'm looking for a good way to upgrade the voltage and to reduce it for the intrumental cluster and all electric parts. The starter, ignition will be 12v and this way it can be jumpstarted if needed. The alternator need to be changed as well of course.

Why not use the old alternator and have it modified? maybe it only needs a different voltage regulator. The alternator and starter motor use carbon brushes.

I'm seeking a way of voltage reduction without transforming the other 6v into heat by a resistor.

Somehow we ended up on the same forum in the usa and working on the same things and living mabe a couple of hours away.

Oh if you need a classic look on your wires, I can overbraid them with kevlar at my work.

In the meantime I received my ridge reamer. A well designed tool I must say. I've removed one ridge to satisfy my curiosity and it worked fine. The removed ridge is a bit rough.

Now I'm in Germany for my work (Landshut) and will do the rest next weekend hopefully. This time with some cutting fluid and the bore tilted in a horizontal position to prevent the scraping falling into the bore on top of the postion.

Nasty habbit of mine to make mistakes.

Maybe a meet next weekend??

Regards,

Stephan

Vince
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)

hey Stephan,

took me a while...

i thought you just have a bunch of builds and no actually running Capri. I wanted to go to Grefrath, but had Nightshift plus the weather sucked.

yes, i think i might use an electric fuel pump.

with the changed exhaust manifold there´s not many alternatives i think. the only other that fits on the block is the rams horns exhaust manifold, that was bolted to the lincoln Y that were used in Ford HD trucks. but i recently learned, that they might not fit in the Lincoln Capri. engine sits too low and they interfere with the frame or so.

think there´s NO aftermarket headers so you can only use the die cast originals or build some own.

what alternator do you use? the stock 6 v unit? since the whole wiring is 55 years old i don´t wanna use it. i´ll rewire the complete car when I'm done with body and engine. will need resistors to get the stock power wipers and 4 power windows to work. the seats i don´t want electric. by now, the original seats are not with the car. think i´ll go with custom seats, maybe bucket seats.

there´s a very good rebuild video series on youtube for the Holley 4000 (called TeaPot). i would have taken that for the rebuild since i´m no good with carb rebuilds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK_jRRsdHRY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR3ZOvRLG0g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KCNDEir1DU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb_mWTF9U6Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lacMEnB3UB8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJp3bjQJhz8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkJkCWhip4c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ntDy8edLVI

would use the rebuild kits this guy sells so everything works like described

next meeting i´ll probably go is http://www.speed-custom-weekend.de

here´s some pics of my car and the engine:

(someone can tell what the hole in the drivers side of engine next to the fuel pump is for?)

341 Lincoln Y-Block for '55 Lincoln Capri (longtime project)
capri-53-54
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi Vince,

If your shopping in Roermond, than we can make an appointment. My house (limburg) is 40 km away from Roermond. Last meeting was Grefrath. We went there with the corvette and the lincoln. It was the only capri. They are rare indeed.

I've put in some digital gauges in the corvette as well. I've added a A/F monitor. This makes tuning the carb a lot easier.

I see you want a as clean as possible engine. Our 54 has a electric fuel pump, but this is visible, but this doesn't bother me. Keep in mind that you car is probably 6v. I don't know from what year the transition is done to 12V. If your car is 6V this means your gauges and other instruments are 6v as well (windows and seat motors).

If you want some more power a better exhaust manifold would probably help. Especially at higher rpms.

Alternators kan be changed to keep the orignal housing but transformed to 12V.

Our engine will remain unchanged for now. I'll use the original carb and I have no idea if this one is still functional. The intake manifold will be original as well. The replacements are probably not on the shelf at edelbrock or equal.

Well, looking foreward to your reply.

Anyway I'm still waiting for my reamer. It is waiting at the customs in the Netherlands since august 30th Crying

Regards /Grussen

Stephan

Vince
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)

Hi! I've been on the Power Big Meet in Vasterås this year! There were around 20.000 american cars (!) this year. well, i couldn't see all of them but i can say, that i saw a good bunch of Ford Fairlanes, but not a single Lincoln Capri!!!

Greetings to Finland! Which intake and carb config are you using?

RB
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Here is another Lincoln owner on the Continent. He is in Finland and has a 368 in a 57 Lincoln that he is rebuilding.. He has some of the same issues.

seppanen.asko@jippii.fi
Vince
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

HELL YEAH !!!

i just found an ally on this xxxxxx up continent called europe!!!

hey there, Stephan!

i recently bought a 1955 Lincoln Capri with the 341 Lincoln Y-Block (direct successor of your engine). i´m not as far as you are with taking it apart as this is gonna be a longtime rebuilt/car build. since my capri is also incomplete i´ll take this as fate and will build it as a custom. in the end it should look like the typical flat black shaved/clean car, but i´m willing to put in some goodies like digital gauges, a clean looking engine bay, minimalized. also want this to be a good rolling driver, by the means converting it as good as i can for the european autobahns by matching the block with a AOD (3+OD) transmission that i still have in my basement from a 88 TownCar (there´s adapter kits by different vendors).

but back to the block. i want it, like the car, to be clean and reliable. no big time power updates for crank or cam but i want to get the best out of it. when stock it has 225 horses but catching some more here and there won´t be bad.Wink

i´m wondering what to do about the pulleys. getting an electronic fan/radiator combo? what kind of amp do i use? i´ve heard of new amps put into old generator housings to make them look like it... keeping that old servo? or bolting the new one of my parted TownCar onto the block? then, what about that Fuel Pump on the block. i think about putting an electric in the gas tank and deleting that ugly piece from the block or shouldn´t i?

also i´m looking for the intake that has the later carb bolt pattern and some Ram Horns exhausts of the later Ford HD Trucks that used the Lincoln Engine (if anyone here has these, PM me right away!!!)

it´s 2 am now and i'll go shopping in Roermond tomorrow. i´ll send you a PM, Stephan. let´s stay in contact!

Vince

Germany

Reading This Topic

Site Meter