Profile Picture

Y-block rebuild topic

Posted By capri-53-54 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Hi everybody!

As a newbie I would like to introduce myself. My name is Stephan and live in The Netherlands.

I found this forum specialized in Y-block and after searching the web I recognise a Y-block is a rare engine.

We ( my brother in law and me) onwn 2 lincoln capri coupés. The 54 coupe is in good shape ecxept the engine. When the engine is running and the car isn't moving a lot of carter fumes are being produced. So nasty that at a traffic light, your eyes start to irritate.

Looking at internet marketplaces we spotted a donor car, a 53 lincoln. The car rested in the nevada desert and the nature has done its work on it. Initially we bought the car as donor, but we are finishing this car as rat-look.

The idea is to use this engine which is in my garage now, for the 54 lincoln. The company which sold the donor car told me the engine was revised. But I have my doubts.

My wife and I own a 75 corvette stingray (www.stingray75.nl) where I've put on some edelbrock heads and a camshaft. So some experience is availlable for tearing appart the 53 engine. And I've attended a meeting where we dismantled a chevy engine and rebuild the engine again. I'm allso supported by several dvd's how to rebuild chevy engines.

But as a relative dummy I will make mistakes. That could be nasty and with some hints problems could be prevented. In worst case scenario the block is permanently damaged and all affort is lost.

I want to use this topic to post continuous information of what I've done and what I'm going to do. I hope you would like to follow this topic and hopefully provide your best practices.

The first step ot today is putting the engine in my new 1500lbs engine stand, but the stand is suffering under this extreme weight.

The next thing is to take off the intake manifold and the heads. This will relief the engine stand somewhat.

Regards,

Stephan

Owner of lincoln '53 capri coupe and capri coupe '54

Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Hi Stephan.  Welcome to the site.  Looks like you have a Lincoln Y Block (LYB) which was introduced a couple of years prior to the Y Block.  This family of engines run was from 1952 thru 1963 while the Y block run was from 1954 thru 1964.  Although this engine is in a different engine family than the ‘official’ Y Block, there are some knowledgable people here on the site that can help you along.  Feel free to ask questions as you go along and be sure to share knowledge that you discover along the way.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

capri-53-54
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)

Well, thats the first lesson learnt Wink. I'll keep on posting what I'm doing and there will be many simularities with these engine types I hope. Getting parts will be more difficult than I have thought.

Regards,

Stephan

kevink1955
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I do not know anything about the Lincoln Y block but be sure to check how the timing chain relates to the timing marks.

On the Passenger car Y the timing marks are not lined up like on a Chevy. They are set 12 (I think) chain pins apart, one of the early Y do it your self books got this wrong and isued a correction sheet.

Not sure if the Lincoln Y uses the same 12 pin offset but it's better to find out now.

Good luck with our project

capri-53-54
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thank you Kevin.

That's one thing I'll check for sure. Before disassembling I'll take many pictures. My memory is not so well and this chore can last a long time.

With the first lincoln we got some manuals. I'll better start reading all topics about the block.

You are right about the chevy blocks.

I don't know if there are similarities with the ford y-block so I'll post some pictures

When the head is disassebbled I'll be able to see the numbers better. I don't know what the similarities are with the ford y heads.

20 years of nevada desert will leave no liquid oil residue as you can see.

The plan is to send the heads to a refurbishing company who will insert hardened valve seats, so we can skip the lead additive.

Keep you updated

John Mummert
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Welcome Stephan,

The heads are casting number EAD. As you disassembly the engine you will find that nearly all of the parts with numbers are marked EAD. The 341 cu in version of the engine is EBJ and the 368 version is ECU. Most of the parts will interchange between these engines. Very little is the same as the Ford Y-Block.

Have fun and good luck with yout project.

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

aussiebill
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
John Mummert (7/8/2011)
Welcome Stephan,

The heads are casting number EAD. As you disassembly the engine you will find that nearly all of the parts with numbers are marked EAD. The 341 cu in version of the engine is EBJ and the 368 version is ECU. Most of the parts will interchange between these engines. Very little is the same as the Ford Y-Block.

Have fun and good luck with yout project.

John, my lincoln eng is ECT-S which i believe is 332 ci.Smile

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

John Mummert
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Bill, ECT would be the truck version. Should have a gear driven cam, sodium filled exhaust valve stems, probably a steel crankshaft.

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

PF Arcand
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Stephan: What you've learned about SBC assembly won't help you a lot with the Lincoln Y-Blk. About the only similarity is that both have 8 cylinders. Your donor engine is likely a 317 cu. in.

Paul
glrbird
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/54Lincoln/  is a good site for info for you.

Gary Ryan San Antonio.TX.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter