Profile Picture

Two small nags

Posted By pops 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Good morning Y-Blockers!

I have two minor nags that I could use some advice on.

My 312 has idled flawlessly for about the last 500 miles. Now (at idle) it has a slight miss about every 5-8 seconds. Just a little "bump" that you can sense only for a slit second.

The second nag is at a steady cruise speed (+-60mph) the car surges a little. It stops pulling for just a second, then starts pulling again. If I hit the gas, it pulls as it should. The car has a new gas tank, fuel lines, mechanical pump, fuel filter, carburator, distributor, plugs and plug wires. None of these items has more than 1,000 miles since new.

Would any of you have some ideas as to what might be causing these two glitches?

Thanks, in advance, gentlemen.

pops (AKA) Clay
'56 Thunderbird

Threaded View

Threaded View
Forum Post Two small nags By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I’ll suggest looking at the carb first. Idle fuel mixture could... By Ted ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Your surging while cruising sounds like a lean surge. In other words... By Jeff ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post According to Holley each size increase in jet size increases flow by... By oldcarmark ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post UPDATE:

I have not looked deeper into the carburetor, and...
By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post The idle speed seems a bit high. I would check that. My manual says... By MarkMontereyBay ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post If its a 600 Holley and you dont really know whats been done too it I... By Talkwrench ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post While you didn't say, based on the TBird forums have seen you on I... By paul2748 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Thank all of you for the tips so far.

I mis-spoke about...
By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Couple of things I wanted to mention.Initial timing at 16 is too... By oldcarmark ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I made a new discovery last evening. I brought the timing down to 8... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Pops: You said there is awhite paint mark at what you assume is TDC.... By Hoosier Hurricane ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post If you are running a pertronix, make sure the red wire is getting 12v... By RB ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Okay guys, I will get #1 to TDC on the compression stroke to confirm... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I can confirm the red wire going to the dissy is getting 12V (on the... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Pops Can we start over please. Tell us what car, what transmission,... By Pete 55Tbird ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Specs for output sise of resistor are 5.5-6.5 max so you are OK... By oldcarmark ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I have an open mind because I'm a little lost. I'm not convinced it is... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]pops (6/30/2011)[/b][hr]I have an open mind because I'm a... By aussiebill ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Pops i know this might sound odd but be sure timing light is connected... By aussiebill ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Clay Take AussieBill`s advice and hook a vacuum gage to your intake... By Pete 55Tbird ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Okay guys, thanks again for riding this out with me.

I'll...
By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Clay, you are correct about the way the timing light functions. I have... By YellowWing ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Clay Somewhat confused by WHERE you are getting the degree of advance... By Pete 55Tbird ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]Pete 55Tbird (7/1/2011)[/b][hr]Clay

Somewhat...
By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hi Clay - I just got back from Wyo and saw this thread - and off this... By GREENBIRD56 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I would tend to follow Steve's advice, or maybe go back and read Ted's... By Daniel Jessup ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Pops- For what it's worth, every time I've had the issue at cruising... By Duck ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Clay First do check the distributor internal grounding strap Mark... By Pete 55Tbird ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I'll see where I can tap in to gauge the fuel pressure. Is 7 PSI about... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Clay You wrote " Did read up on static timing. Am I only trying to... By Pete 55Tbird ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Duck,

The fuel pump is new. That being said, I guess...
By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I still recommend testing the vacuum advance diaphragm. A leaking... By MarkMontereyBay ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Mark,

I've been sitting here thinking on what I might have...
By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hillbilly vacuum advance test procedure. Remove the distributor cap.... By MarkMontereyBay ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Do your carb float levels.. When you have sorted and car is running ok... By Talkwrench ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Both the vacuum and centrifugal ignition advance systems can be... By Ted ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I performed the static timing procedure and it was within a degree or... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Do you only have 8 degrees of mechanical advance (24 - 16 = 8)? Is... By charliemccraney ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Charlie,

I only recorded the advance readings at idle and...
By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Clay - We are hoping that the maximum advance (initial and... By GREENBIRD56 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Steve, The ground braid is intact inside the distributor. I could add... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Probably the best all around replacement carb has proven to be the 390... By GREENBIRD56 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]GREENBIRD56 (7/5/2011)[/b][hr]Are you utilizing the vacuum... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]pops (7/6/2011)[/b][hr]The fuel pump is the type with two... By Ted ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Clay Before you get too deep into replacing the carb do some... By Pete 55Tbird ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Steve is right 390 or 465 is the better choice, however I have a 600... By Talkwrench ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I cannot thank ALL of you guys enough. Inspite of myself, I think... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post you should be able to get a rebuild kit , it wouldn't hurt to have... By Talkwrench ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Rob - There is an earlier photo in this thread that shows the... By GREENBIRD56 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Did you notice that post from "Marc" regarding his rebuild? Started... By oldcarmark ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post [b]I'm back in the saddle again.......[/b] :)

[b]I saw...
By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post What is your timing set at?Try backing it down to about 12.That should... By oldcarmark ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Clay - Many of the Holleys of recent manufacture have a secondary... By GREENBIRD56 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I backed the fast idle screw out until it un-threaded itself, then... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post And the fast idle adjusting screw on the other side is completely off... By oldcarmark ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Clay did you work out what your total mech advance was? If your dissy... By Talkwrench ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I recall the slots at the bottom of the throttle bore, but did not... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post You might try rechecking your vacuum at idle, bet it's a little low.... By famdoc3 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Clay - This is the set-up technique for the idle transfer slot, shown... By GREENBIRD56 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hey Steve! I guess its true when they say great minds think alike.I... By oldcarmark ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Well no one else has said it.. Clay, nice bird mate ! :w00t: By Talkwrench ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post That is a sharp Bird! Just looked at the photo. I was talking with the... By MarkMontereyBay ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Thanks guys, and no trailers for me. I love driving this car. By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post From a fellow Bird-er. Looks very sharp and I love the colour combo. I... By 'GB'ird ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]'GB'ird (7/12/2011)[/b][hr]From a fellow Bird-er. Looks very... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Yeah I know what you mean at the front but I have to say the exhausts... By 'GB'ird ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Richard - Clay's car is a '56 - and the bumper is a '55. Really... By GREENBIRD56 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Normally I wouldn't like exterior body mods to an early T. Bird, but... By PF Arcand ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Paul,

I have a mini in mine too.
By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Clay- Glad you got your "nags" worked out and I have to agree with... By Missouri Mike ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post OK! Nuff with the compliments.Pops-did you get the idle speed down and... By oldcarmark ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Not yet. My first opportunity to work on it will be tomorrow. I'm... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I think you may have a bad rad cap.I think it should allow air in as... By oldcarmark ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post When you have the carb off remember to set up the throttle plate... By oldcarmark ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Okay..... The grass is mowed and I'm back on to the important stuff.... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]pops (7/16/2011)[/b][hr]Next, I again took off the carb.... By Grizzly ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Dumb question. I deleted it. :) By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Back it down.The secondary can be adjusted with it running if you can... By oldcarmark ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post They didn't put the secondary screw or the high idle screw in a very... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post If you are talking about the fast idle screw if you rotate the... By oldcarmark ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Okay, carb came back off and I put the setscrew back to where is was... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Clay - See if you can come by a longer screw to replace the secondary... By GREENBIRD56 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post The secondaries will not open under idle conditions.Needs a big drop... By oldcarmark ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]GREENBIRD56 (7/16/2011)[/b][hr]Clay - See if you can come by... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Yes that is a PCV in a common location. I like your top! By 46yblock ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I think the top looks great. The question is do you like it? If so... By MoonShadow ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Verifying vacuum secondary operation on the vehicle can be checked... By Ted ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Sorry to hear about the home apppraisal uproar - I'm sure you will be... By GREENBIRD56 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Yep, real estate wise, it is ugly out there. I'm left holding my... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post For the PCV you want any auto parts store should have one.Summit might... By oldcarmark ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Grizzly,

If your speaking of the top photo about in the...
By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Clay, That's better :D Odd what a camera can do at times. Cheers... By Grizzly ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post Clay - You are hereby appointed the site carb photographer.....hope we... By GREENBIRD56 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I have a vacuum gauge. I note that this carburetor does not have a... By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post You will want to record reading at idle with motor fully warmed... By oldcarmark ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post This chart isn't as cool as some that are animated - but it will show... By GREENBIRD56 ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post [b]TOO HOT!!![/b]
By pops ( 13 Years Ago )
Forum Post I'm back.....

Three strikes on the 78 Zephyr-Fairmont PCV...
By pops ( 13 Years Ago )

Reading This Topic

Site Meter