Profile Picture

New Bonneville Race Truck

Posted By 57FordPU 14 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 hours ago
Keith in the Rolling Bones car is up to 187.564 and got his 175 wings. Still running at this time. Timmy McMasters just took the title of worlds fastest Y-block with a 192.365 but hit a piece of pipe, possibly someone's exhaust tube, slowing to about 180. Blew a rear tire and damaged the suspension so he is on the way home with a BIG smile. Haven't heard anything about Charlie Burns as yet.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
57FordPU
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
My goal was always to be at the USFRA September meet, but that was cancelled.  The SCTA October meet is now the hopeful time to go.  Congratulations to Keith and Tim for some great runs.  You make the Y-Block and MEL fans very proud.

Charlie Burns Laton, Ca (South of Fresno)

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
57FordPU
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b401d28a-8b60-4c10-a522-bca1.jpg

A bit of bad news.  The cam went flat in last minute warmups.  The cam broke in just fine during the initial 25 minute run-in and again for the first few warm ups to tune.  After a few more warmups and valve adjustments, I discovered that two of the lobes had started to go flat. I'm not getting any younger, but I will be ready for next season.

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
Cliff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Hi Charlie, what lifters were you using? also what was the seat pressure.

Thanks Cliff
ian57tbird
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Sorry to hear that Charlie. 
57FordPU
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hi, Cliff.  The lifters are Johnson Hy-Lift.  I'm not able to find my notes on the spring seat pressure, I'll look for it.  The engine was actually built 7 years ago.

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
Cliff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Got it, I'm running Trend Tool Steel Lifters and a Comp nitrated cam, I hope that it stays good.
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Charlie:..I don't know, but maybe because the engine sat for several years assembled, might be the key to the Cam or lifter failure?..  

Paul
57FordPU
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I wouldn't doubt it Paul.  If that's the case, it's all my fault for not running it in early and at least turning it over by hand periodically.  All the same kind of parts have performed very well for me throughout all these years.  It's nothing that Tim McMaster cannot fix and hopefully I will be able to get it to him soon so that I can run it in again.

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Charlie.  Can you give some more detail on which lobes went flat on the camshaft?  There are a multitude of reasons for a camshaft to go flat but sitting for a number of years is getting close to the top of the list.

While I don’t see lifter shank diameters being a problem with the HyLift Johnson lifters, it is a problem with other brands.  While they may fit in the bores, they are not in a position to turn freely if on the large side of spec.  It’s extremely important that the lifters have at least 0.001” clearance in the lifter bores as any tighter than this inhibits their ability to turn freely in the bores.

Here’s a list of items that contributor to camshaft and/or lifter failures.
https://www.eatonbalancing.com/2012/11/06/camshaft-and-lifter-failure-causes-2/

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter