Profile Picture

New Bonneville Race Truck

Posted By 57FordPU 14 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
If you noticed the three bolt flanges that connected the exhaust system, they now have been changed to a "V" band clamp.  The three bolt flanges worked just fine for the low (5lb psi) boost, but my plans are to crank it up to at least 10 and these clamps become necessary.  There are two in the system.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/91e1a7b9-19c2-48d4-a9fc-f269.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d9fe6af8-837b-460f-be3f-4459.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fc6370fb-29e9-434a-8c09-f983.jpg

Charlie Burns Laton, Ca (South of Fresno)

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
57FordPU
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Just some things I do.  Others have taught me and sometimes I listen.  I'm still learning.

Indexing plugs has always been a part of the tune.  Keeping the ground strap base away from the combustion chamber as much as possible has made sense to me.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2d8b6a85-c041-46ea-8e30-f0ba.jpg

You don't always get them perfect, but after trying all plugs in all holes, you do the best you can.  Sometimes you have to try more than 8 plugs.  Even with MSD, I gap at .035 to help the spark from blowing out under boost.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/383b6dfe-34ed-4aa3-b7ca-61d7.jpg

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 32 minutes ago
It took about 60 spark plugs for me to get a set that was mostly where I wanted them the last time I did it.

Lawrenceville, GA
Cliff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Check these out

https://www.jegs.com/i/E3-Spark-Plugs/368/E3.72/10002/-1
Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Make sure if you go the E-3 spark plug route, you get the proper heat range, otherwise, you may lose horsepower.  Dyno testing proved loss of 6-8 hp with the E-3.  When I talked with the E-3 sales representative, he said we were using the wrong heat range that caused the hp loss.   Joe-JDC

JDC
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday

Joe-JDC (5/15/2020)
Make sure if you go the E-3 spark plug route, you get the proper heat range, otherwise, you may lose horsepower.  Dyno testing proved loss of 6-8 hp with the E-3.  When I talked with the E-3 sales representative, he said we were using the wrong heat range that caused the hp loss.   Joe-JDC

Having tested a variety of specialty spark plugs for customers in various engines, to date the only spark plug that has consistently shown a loss of power when tested against the more conventional designs of spark plugs has been the E3 spark plugs.  I can only guess at the reasons for this but heat range is potentially only part of the equation.  When a spark plug fires, a flame kernel is created around the generated spark and it’s that flame kernel that ignites the mixture.  If that ‘kernel’ is not allowed to fully form, then the combustion process is subsequently altered.  Putting a strap directly in the path of that flame kernel as in the case of the E3 spark plugs is one logical reason I come up with for the engines equipped with those spark plugs showing a decrease in power output when compared to other spark plugs.  A lot of opinion here so other opinions always welcome.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
With no dyno runs ever with my GMC 6’s I cannot speak of their loss or gain but everytime I tried anything but a conventional plug the performance of my engine in the car fell off so I quit trying any of them. Performance always improved when I would file back the ground strap to the center of the electrode. When I started filing the end at a 45 degree after finding an article concerning this I found higher speeds. This seems to me that what Ted is saying works under wide open throttle longer than an 1/8 or 1/4 mile also.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
57FordPU
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Due to the limitations of my phone camera video downloading, this is Just a very short video (4 seconds) of the engine running in the truck.  Making sure all the wiring and plumbing is good to go before the turbo system is installed.  With the vertical exhaust, if this land speed thing doesn't work out, I can always do tractor pulls.Tongue

Sorry, my skills to change to an acceptable video format is not good enough to directly post the video here, so, here is the YouTube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfHguX2c5f0

Here's the vid:

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
57FordPU
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Very nice!  Somebody helped me out............Thanks

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
RB
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Any news from Bonneville?  Rolling Bones, Charlie,Tim McMaster?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter