New Bonneville Race Truck

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic53432.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Glen Henderson - 13 Years Ago
By all means keep us updated Charlie, I have always wanted to put a Ford in a scrub, just never got around to it!
By Glen Henderson - 13 Years Ago
Good looking welds Charlie. I have promised a buddy that I would go with him next week and dig an old S10 drag truck out of the back side of a junk yard. The truck was wrecked a  couple years ago and the owner striped it and hauled the chassis to the junk yard. I looked it over and it was a well built rig with a 12 point cage. The cab, front sheet metal and bed are toast, but the frame and cage survived and appear to be undamaged. He does not have any concrete plans for it at this time but for $75, I told him if he didn't want it I did. I think that you could cut the floor and firewall from it and graft it to another cab.
By Glen Henderson - 10 Years Ago
Looks good Charlie, it would be cool to get a picture of the new truck alongside the "Brick"!
By Glen Henderson - 10 Years Ago
Sorry to hear that you did not get to make a run, but you know the old saying, a bad day at the race track is still a good day.
By Jim Rowe - 11 Years Ago
Charley,

What a great job. You are a true craftsman.
I did a Turbo back in 1979 on my corvette. When I got above 8 psi, I used an Edelbrock " varajection" unit.
I don't think they still offer one. It did water injection under boost. That did stop the pinging.
I did use alcohol when I raised the boost to 10 psi. That 350 ran like it was on fire...

Good luck on the flats. You will see some jaw dropping moments when guys look under the hood.

Jim
By pegleg - 13 Years Ago
I had a chance to stop by Charlies last weekend. They invited me to stay over New Years Eve for dinner and a Movie. I had a fantastic time, the hospitality and the dinner was outstanding.

The new Truck is going to raise some eyebrows at the Lakes and the Salt Flats. Very professional, and slick. Nothing , and I mean absolutely nothing, in the world is going to be more fun than the look of horror on the faces of the Generals Brainwashed minions when they see the Y-Block FORD in that truck. w00t If you get a chance to take a camera when he opens the hood, aim it at the Scrub lovers when they first see it. The photos will be priceless. For years we've had to endure Scrub powered Fords, charlies gonna turn the tables on them. It'll be GREAT!! With one of Tim's engines in it it's going to fly.

By pegleg - 13 Years Ago
Charlie,

Where's the radio gonna go? 

By pegleg - 13 Years Ago
Phew! I was worried there for a moment! w00t
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Charlie, that or the base of the windshield. we talked about this before I invited myself for dinner!
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Good grief is that YELLOW! you'll be able to sell it to a Low rider when you get tired of it.Tongue
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Charlie, knowing how you came by the body, seems like nobody wanted it to start with!w00t

It's a H--- of alot more desireable now than before you got it. when you're  done with it, send it to the midwest, it'll look like all the rest of them up here.

By pegleg - 10 Years Ago
Brakes, What brakes?  We don't need no Stinkin' Brakes brakes. 
By pegleg - 9 Years Ago
Excellent Charlie. Long time waiting on this. 
By pegleg - 8 Years Ago
Congrats Charlie. Lotta work, you're part of Bonneville history now.

By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
Lotta work Eh? I'm afraid i won't get out there very often, I've quit the delivery thing. I'm playing Industrial engineer for a while.
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
Awesome work Charlie. I do wonder if you're going to use a mechanical secondary carb. The Vacuum Secondary thing won't work well in a pressurized setup. The higher than ambient press to the diaphragm blows the secondaries shut.
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
If you don't have enough HP with this setup I dunno what would keep you happy. A blown Allison maybe!
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
Charlie, You're gonna hear that if it lifts!
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
Nice Job Charlie. Should go better next year since they've teched it once already. Should fly, might want to consider re-uping your private pilot license.BigGrin
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
Not to worry, Cliff wouda had some kind of Joke if it hadn't. I've talked to him on the phone, neat guy.
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Does everyone know who Gale Banks is? If not try looking him up on Google, the Guy's a Legend and he earned it the old fashioned way, brains and hard work.
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Really top notch work Charlie. Wish I was thjat good, or even close!
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
How about some photos of the Jimmy. I really liked them. Had a buddy with a 50's Sprint car that ran one. When he gave up on it and went to a SBC we bought the motor and stuck it in a 52 Chev Convert. THAT was a fun ride. I learned a lot about replacing bearings with that motor. Probably trying to rev it too high. 302 with a 270 head and a McGurk 5 carb intake!
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
That's cool, didn't realize Clifford makes parts for them. Do you have to use the original head or would a 12 port (Wayne) be legal?
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
mctim64 (10/12/2012)
Who needs a rear window?  Always going forward!  Wink

Well, We HOPE so anyhow! 

By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
Beautiful Work Charlie, Looks a whole lot better than when I was there.
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Hollow Head (6/10/2012)
'am "yeallows" BigGrin.
  Winston Churchill said,"Puns are the lowest form of Jokes!!"BigGrin 
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Winston said puns are the lowest form............, but then he never heard my humor. Ask Hoosier Hurricane, I get looks from him from time to time.Crazy
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
More like "why do I put up with you?" Blink
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Truck Charlie, it's a truck. Well it's a chevy but still a truck. Looks better than it did when i was there. Nice build, very nice.
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Hollow Head (7/2/2012)
Charlie, nobody uses radio anymore! Put an iPod in the dashboard and play some funky music from internet radios BigGrin.
`

Probably weighs less too!

By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Charlie, i know you said something along those lines before. Just doesn't compute in my (drag oriented) brain. The weight is to add traction or to correct handling issues from the trucks aerodynamic issues?
By GREENBIRD56 - 13 Years Ago
Hi Charlie - nice looking truck. I was thinking about those leaf springs too......In a recent article I saw a "replacement" for a rear leaf spring, a composite. Where the forward portion of the spring was made rigid (a bar from pivot to axle) and only the rear half was a clamped on flexible spring bar attached to the rear shackle. Quarter elliptic spring?

It created a (very) short version of the "truck arm" arrangement used on the NASCAR speedway cars. 

By GREENBIRD56 - 13 Years Ago
Could you just dump the letters in favor of a Blue Oval?

Just the letters "FORD" would cause some interesting side effects......

By GREENBIRD56 - 12 Years Ago
Hollow Head - I think the radios in these rigs are a "Citizen's Band" (CB for short) used to listen to race control (SCTA) at the dry lakes and salt flats. 

It would be very cool if a guy could tune in over the internet though! They (used to) maybe still -call out the time and speed at the mile markers........great to listen in on. You have to know your friend's car numbers because the line-up is helter skelter.

By GREENBIRD56 - 11 Years Ago
Golly Charlie - you're going to need a temporary exhaust deflector tube to hang on there to keep out of the line of fire!w00t
By MoonShadow - 13 Years Ago
We need some really BIG Y-block decals! Chuck in NH
By MoonShadow - 13 Years Ago
Got My Cash!
By MoonShadow - 12 Years Ago
Since this is in the desert and dry air is common how about a spray bar, something like the swamp coolers, help to cool the intercoolers? There would be more water on board at the start up but it would be used up during the pass? Of course they may not like the idea of water on the salt. I think I just talked me out of that Idea but I'll post it anyway. You never know where the next big thought will come from. Hehe Chuck
Its a bit sad after your clever use of a wheel barrow. Now you not only need a new one but a firewall too! Chuck
Now Charlie thats what a call attitude! Chuck
I figured speed and salt would sand blast the paint but does it rust them out too?

Chuck

By MoonShadow - 3 Years Ago
That's a slick looking design. Will the tailgate adjust to speed to vary downforce? Smile

Some pretty chrome chains but welded solid at the proper angle. I actually had something in mind like the Porsche Whale Tail that would flatten at speed!

Another thought Charlie. Since all you have raced so far are pickups with the new car have a token bed on it? Smile
Is there a pickup class for that type of car? Sounds like you are ready for some more fun in the sun!
I see, so its just a nod and a wink to your pickup roots. I'm sure it will look great and in yellow I suppose? Smile

By MoonShadow - 7 Years Ago
Any changes in the driveline department?
Sounds like the old girl felt neglected during the long winter. Did you have any problems on the second pass or slow down some? Sounds a bit aggravating but nothing that's a show stopper. Looks like I'll be heading out there again this year. See you on the salt. Chuck

This Vette ran at New England Dragway in the 70's with a Ford Cammer engine. He loved beating up on scrubs.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a2f49c0-111e-4ac1-bd91-6a1d.jpg
By MoonShadow - 6 Years Ago
Darn Charlie you blowed it up real good! That little engine served you well for quite a while though.
By MoonShadow - 4 Years Ago
Keith in the Rolling Bones car is up to 187.564 and got his 175 wings. Still running at this time. Timmy McMasters just took the title of worlds fastest Y-block with a 192.365 but hit a piece of pipe, possibly someone's exhaust tube, slowing to about 180. Blew a rear tire and damaged the suspension so he is on the way home with a BIG smile. Haven't heard anything about Charlie Burns as yet.
Were are all waiting to hear Charlie, what went wrong? Was it an assembly error or? 
The "Kid" is good. Nice welds. When are you going to the salt? Chuck
Something like Jerry C's SR57 would be pretty slick. Maybe he will make a LSR assualt someday. Chuck
By MoonShadow - 11 Years Ago
Even better some that say "FauxScrub". Let them figure that one out! Great going, tech aint easy to pass the first time through. Chuck
By MoonShadow - 10 Years Ago
Sorry to hear about the run. How did the people react to the Y powered scrub? Chuck
By MoonShadow - 8 Years Ago
The Rolling Bones crew will be there too. And it looks like I'll be with them. Little Y-Block reunion. Chuck
By MoonShadow - 8 Years Ago
Looking forward to seeing you again. I'll be at Bonneville with the Rolling Bones. Maybe we could all pit together? A show of force for the Y's guys. Is Tim coming?
By Canadian Hot Rodder - 9 Years Ago
A BIG congratulations Charlie, please keep us posted! It takes a Ford Y to make a scrub run!!! Smile 
By Canadian Hot Rodder - 8 Years Ago
Excellent article Charlie and WELL deserved accolades!!!  
By glrbird - 13 Years Ago
charlie,

There are lots of people making gobs of horsepower with twin turbos on GM engines, if the head gaskets will hold 30 psi of boot 200 should be a breeze!!!!!!! And then there is Nitrous to cool the intake charge.

Truck is looking fast already.

charlie, you need to make friends with an owner of a CNC 3 axes mill to do your blocks.  Great looking truck so far. Keep us posted. I have enjoyed the postings of your exploits.
Charlie

They say anyone can restore a car, but it takes a real man to cut one up! GOOD JOB!

charlie

What is the reason for the panhard bar on a leaf spring car, do you think there is enough lateral movement at high speed to need this, or is the other thinking?

Nothing like creating something totaly illogical to sharpen you fab skills. great Job.
My Dad use to say GMC stood for Grand Ma's Crap, but now it means Great Motor Change.

Is there a reason you like yellow, Looks good to me.

By glrbird - 8 Years Ago
Charlie
    Glad to see everything finally fell in place for you to get pass on the truck. I am not a fan of yellow, but your trucks always look great on and off the dirt. very professional look. Good job and hope the salt is good this year.
By glrbird - 8 Years Ago

well congrats then, You and Tim will be great representatives for both categories.

By glrbird - 8 Years Ago
Are those rain gutters? that seems to be what is needed the last few years.
By glrbird - 8 Years Ago
Good luck Charlie, with better luck you should get your licensing level.
By glrbird - 6 Years Ago
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a-strange-turn-in-the-mickey-thompson-murders-case-car-news 
By glrbird - 11 Years Ago
Charlie

Do you find yourself dreaming about where to put all the parts to make them fit? Or should I say nightmares. You must have an abundance of patience.
So Charlie, whats next? Any plans for some chassis dyno tuning or practice runs? I think you are right, lettering speaks for itself, another fine effort on your part. Is the Brick on the street yet?
Well the Brick would make a great chase truck.
Charlie

Do you think you might need some type of heat shield ( besides the wrap) to help keep the front fuel bowl cool? Looks great and will be a fun ride. Hope the Goverment knows how important racing is!
Good luck Charlie, hope everything goes well.
Great job Charlie, Well you will be ready for next year and maybe you should consider getting some chevrolet decals for your valvecovers just to make them think they know why it goes fast.
By glrbird - 12 Years Ago
Charlie, is this instead of a radiator or added colling? Where is it mounted?
Is the reason for the tank, putting that weight further back and lower, or is their something else you are thinking of.  Can you duct or direct the air coming threw the radiator say for the intake air?
Charlie

Can you turn the stock radiator into a functioning intercooler, and still look like a radiator?

Charlie,

Not only do you think outside the box, you seem to make it round. I love it!

Charlie, I think for your type of racing that is a SUN roof.
Charlie

I own a 57 bird and back in 69 or 70 I was on I-45 outside Houston Headed toward Dallas, there is a long straight section. needless to say top off and flat out wasn't the smartest thing to do, but it sure was exzilirating !!

By speedpro56 - 12 Years Ago
LOOKS GREAT!!
By speedpro56 - 9 Years Ago
Great job Charlie!
By pintoplumber - 13 Years Ago
You're welcome here again.
By pintoplumber - 12 Years Ago
Hey guys, what kind of tires do you use to run those speeds?
Charlie, with leaving for Columbus, I forgot to wish you a happy birthday. If I'd have seen you in person I would have remembered. No point in coming with rain like that though. Happy belated birthday anyway.
Charlie, this was not my year. In the 1st round of y blocks, I missed 2nd gear. Was a full second slower. 1st round of bracket 3 I had a terrible reaction time and lost.

We reset the points friday afternoon and Wally retimed the motor. Saturday morning it ran a 17.949 @ 76 mph my personal best.
Tim, I was tickled to run that. I hope the photographers caught the scoreboard. 17 seconds is a big deal for me.
Thanks Charlie.
By pintoplumber - 6 Years Ago
I forgot Charlie, Happy Birthday.
By pintoplumber - 5 Years Ago
Are you allowed to have those clothespins?
By Hollow Head - 13 Years Ago
Charlie, not only the HANS but also a helmet with suitable klips. Though, to some helmets you can get them installed afterwards by the manufacturer.

Both thumbs up for your project, keep pushing Wink

Well, I quess it's about how flexible you are, but watch how this guy hits his head to the steering wheel. He has the visor closed, it opens at the crash and then closes by hitting the wheel... w00t HANS for you Charlie, please. Old people are not flexible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzbBRyOO0o

As in Drag Racing, long bolts prevent wheels to come off of the hubs even if the bolts are loose? Ok, it does wobble a lot before it comes off and gives a signal to the driver...BigGrin

With short bolts it just comes off... and then crash and learn thing w00t.

Good progress Charlie! Is that "round one" your new helmet at the door opening? Wink

Is air suspension allowed at Bonneville? That would make the ride smooth and you could choose the ground clearance at seconds. Juha Kankkkunen went over 300 km/h on the ice this spring and he drove a Bentley with stock air suspension.

Helmet or hair dryer BigGrin. Anyway, waiting to see that all come together and to be raced. I know, that time will come. Should we start betting you against Tim? Wink
Charlie... more close up pics about the engine! Who cares about GMC grille BigGrin? Even that the truck looks very good and yellow as usual...
By Hollow Head - 12 Years Ago
Charlie, nobody uses radio anymore! Put an iPod in the dashboard and play some funky music from internet radios BigGrin.
By Hollow Head - 10 Years Ago
Charlie, Let the Force be with you! Wink You will soon see a little different numbers...
By Hollow Head - 9 Years Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8805987d-c7a5-4a8f-8483-3031.jpg
Congrats Charlie! Let the boost force be with you! Your truck is definetely Hollow Heads approved!
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e3db9ed1-cf47-4854-97a5-7c17.jpg
By Hollow Head - 9 Years Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c37dc901-cfc5-4bbc-b8f7-377f.jpg

Charlie, do you have an intercooler? It's a must! Last year with our set up with intercooler and with about 24 psi of boost we had 113F intake temperatures measured from intake log rear end. This year without intercooler and with water/meth injection and 33 psi boost our temperatures raised to 244F and that was absolutely too much. Big stress for pistons! For next year we will try two separate intercoolers and water/meth injection together. Hopefully we get temperatures back to 2014 level or even under that. We are not going to lower the boost though...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1915e7f0-0219-481c-b8c7-e96d.jpg
By Hollow Head - 8 Years Ago
Good job, Charlie! Familiar whistle indeed....
By Hollow Head - 7 Years Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/139e59a1-1942-46a8-94f3-9670.jpg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/bbd686c6-0141-443a-a167-6f14.jpg
Charlie, was it this guy from Sweden? On the left. He is regular quest at out pit area during European Championship races held at Alastaro track here in Finland. Super nice person.

Looks weird enough Wink. Fresh ideas are always welcome but have you had any thoughts about heat build up that is generated under the hood with that system? Ofcourse you will take intake air from a ducting placed behind the grille? Usually, the hottest spot in exhaust is the place where the x-pipe is.
Charlie, here is one idea about intake air. If you use a hood scoop, that itself creates an aerodynamic obstacle over the hood and the airflow has to do 90 degree travel down the carb. You have good openings at the front bumber to take air from there by ducting. Hood would be smooth and would not harm the airflow over the car. Gross sectional area at the front stays the same and you get the same pressurized airflow to carbs although it has to travel that same 90 degree down to carb under the hood. Don't know if that has any effect to speed but...
Charlie, will it be ready for this season or do we have to wait until next year. Looking really good and fast. I'am "yeallows" BigGrin.
Frank, Puns are used to create humor and sometimes require a large vocabulary to understand. BigGrin Ok, ok yeallows was a bad one....
Frank, is it like "if looks could kill" looks BigGrin.
Hmmm... looks to work ok at the moment but how about decent Teleflex Morse cable?

http://secure.chassisshop.com/partlist/6195/

That letter idea is great! Big white letters over black background. And also same treatment to tail gate BigGrin!

Jep, and why not to use additional intercooler in some other place. In front of windshield under the grille or why not even instead of the tailgate. Atleast airflow would be great behind the cabin BigGrin

http://www.7tune.com/intercooler-placement-of-the-week/

http://ststurbo.com/

I think that remote location is no problem in bonneville. Turbos can be built to spool so quickly that you can't even feel the lag. It's different world in drag racing where you have to take off the line as soon as possible. In bonneville it is important to leave the line without spinning the wheels and build up the speed constantly? Right? Water cooled intercooler must be out of the question because it would need so much water to work efficiently that it increases weight too much? In drag racing they change the water after each 1/4 mile run and if there is about 10 lites of water inside of it, it's boiling hot after each run when charges and temperatures are high.
Looks nice indeed. Charlie, give us one photo of the whole truck, please. Smile
Safety first, even if it costs you a couple of gray hairs Smile.
Charlie, if you are going to use big enough turbos with those headers, you may end up to break a hole to your hood. Looks as high installation as in our dragster Wink...
By PF Arcand - 6 Years Ago
On the subject of Mickey Thompson, I saw somewhere a while back, that the investigation into his & his wifes murder, was being re visited with a prime suspect in mind. Can anyone comment?.
By PF Arcand - 5 Years Ago
Probably mentioned earlier, but what casting letters are the heads?.  Reason for asking is that in the case of ECZ-G heads for instance, it's my understanding, that valve shrouding occurs with overly large iintakes.?   I'm hardly an expert on Y-Block race engines, but I seem to recall that John Mummert, possibly (?) stated in the past that notching the block for valve clearance, often resuls in a noticeable loss in compression.. So, the extra lift at the valves may not be productive?.  As an example, a friend many years ago beveled the block in his Y-Block "D" gas racer. It didn't result in any improvement in  performance that we could see...    
By PF Arcand - 4 Years Ago
Charlie:..I don't know, but maybe because the engine sat for several years assembled, might be the key to the Cam or lifter failure?..  
By bird55 - 12 Years Ago
This is probably not the first time a GM product has been improved with the technology of a wheelbarrow w00t

It looks great Charlie, fun watching all the progress.
By bird55 - 12 Years Ago
Hey Charlie, It's lookin fast already. I bet it will be. Smile
By bird55 - 3 Years Ago
Charly, good to see this new project of yours!. I've been away from the site for a long, long time. It's good to come back and see work like yours being done.
By bird55 - 2 Years Ago
Glad to see you are back at it. The insides look good. Maybe I'll see you on the Salt this year.
By bird55 - 2 Years Ago
It's really great that Ted was able to share that kind of info with you and in turn all of us.
By bird55 - 11 Years Ago
Looks awesome Charlie! great work.
Here's an idea. Can't resist, I'm a designer and have letters and stuff made like this all the time. But on the other hand I don't mind the GMC just to keep them confused!

I like the clean look of the whole job you've done.

http://frakesdesign.com/BurnsTruck_yblock.jpg
By bird55 - 11 Years Ago
Lookin good Charlie. I like what I see! Hope I get to see that thing run sometime.
By LordMrFord - 13 Years Ago
I spotted this bumper sticker on internet surfing tour and your project came up to my mind.

By LordMrFord - 11 Years Ago
Wow!
By LordMrFord - 11 Years Ago
BigGrin

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z132/Reilukaista/e3649b9e-3294-49ad-9362-754d.jpg
By LordMrFord - 9 Years Ago
"...and boost a little more."

Thats the right direction. Smile
Well...that is very familiar sound.
Nice.

How is that i-core coil handling the high rpm's. We boiled our's with about 7000 rpms and Crane HI 6 ignition box what is quite wrong with i-core coil but dragster still went 8.9.
We changed to u-core and now we have low charging time to feed engine high rpms.

Ps. Would you tell how much boost/rpm/advance/gas type you have if you dare?
By LordMrFord - 8 Years Ago
Conservative boost indeed, we dynoed and ran a stock bottom over than that but that coil thing I must check because our Crane HI 6 is quite same thing than your MSD.

I dont know about ignition advance and 110 race gas but i would rise advance until there is no power gain anymore.
That would be a good info when you rise boost again.

Its a good thing that Dragster blows only head gasket when things go south with AFR or boost if that soothes your mind.
There are fire rings and over than stock torqued head bolts.
By LordMrFord - 6 Years Ago
wow!
By LordMrFord - 5 Years Ago
More boost. Y wont break. Smile
By Doug T - 13 Years Ago
Hi Charlie

Great progress on the truck, you guys rock out there! 

I was a little surprised by the location of the axle joint for the Panhard rod.  I thought as a general rule Panhard rods should be as long as possible, the ends on the axle and frame should be at the same elevation, that is, the 'rod' should be horiizontal and the height of the rod determines the rear roll center.  I am not sayin' what you have wont do what you need, just wondering if that is accepted practice for LSR vehicles. 

By Doug T - 10 Years Ago
Very cool being the class representative in the rule book congrats!

I would also like to see a side by side and front & back photo shoot when you get time.

Are you getting any rain yet?

Best Regards
By RB - 12 Years Ago
Charlie, Does it look like you will make it to the salt or to the lakes yet this yr?
By RB - 4 Years Ago
Any news from Bonneville?  Rolling Bones, Charlie,Tim McMaster?
By Daniel Jessup - 10 Years Ago
Charlie, this must be a streetable engine you are running.. those peak numbers for HP and Torque are not that high up in the RPM band it looks like to me. What kind of cam specs do you have (if you want to share)?
By Daniel Jessup - 5 Years Ago
Great news! Keep up the good work Charlie...
By yalincoln - 13 Years Ago
it's a good thing that it's a extended cab, at least he won't have to sit in the bed. nice job charlie, good luck.
By yalincoln - 11 Years Ago
great job Charlie, i'll take a t-shirt after you set a new record. good luck!
By yalincoln - 10 Years Ago
that's great Charlie, I love the way it holds the power all the way past 6500.  I like the 60-61 comet in the back ground! the truck looks great! keep up the great work, and good luck!
By yalincoln - 10 Years Ago
thanks Charlie, I thought I remember the car, but you know how it is with us old guys, memory is not what it used to be. I still love the comet.
By Y block Billy - 13 Years Ago
I was hoping to see the brick run at Loring before you retired it? The reveiws of the place have been great from what I read, the people like it a lot.
By Y block Billy - 13 Years Ago
I have plenty of room in Maine. However, Loring is another 350 miles north of me so I would probably have to camp with you up there.
By Y block Billy - 12 Years Ago
Exhaust in front of the front tires? Very clever, i see what you are doing. If you exhaust them so they

Are blowing down on the front of the tire and drill dimples in the

Tire back wards to rotation so they cup the exhaust, once you are rolling you could take it out of gear and run by front wheel drive turbine power!

Every little bit counts!
Hmmm! thats not going to create lift under the tires is it? because I am sure its hard enough steering anyway at those speeds. I was thinking more of blowing the exhaust down on the front of the tire,Like 3:o'clock position, give more downforce and help the final outcome of speed by helping drive the front wheels.
Are you going to have another piece of bed cover ahead of that and cut around the roll cage pipes? just wondering if any air getting under that would create it to act like a pocket/parachute and slow you down?
Thanks for the sectret Charlie, I guess that answers my question.
By Y block Billy - 11 Years Ago
I second Alan's comment!
By Y block Billy - 11 Years Ago
Great to here you set an example for tech purposes, but bummed you didn't get to run! I was non paitently going through DT's waiting for the results!
By Y block Billy - 9 Years Ago
A big congrats! and as Ted says, we hope to see what it will do, any Idea what you were turning for RPM's at 148? and with the slippage of the tires in the sand, would like to see what it would do at Loring!
By aussiebill - 13 Years Ago
nonne_56 (5/19/2011)
Next week i will be in Melbourne and the week after in the Sidney area.

Is there any place to visit when it comes to our cars

Berndt, google " pinkys car events" and click on Victoria ( melb) and NSW (Sydney) for events that may tie in with your visit. Where in Sydney will you be working etc and when. Best regards bill

nonne_56 (5/24/2011)
aussiebill (5/20/2011)
nonne_56 (5/19/2011)

Berndt, google " pinkys car events" and click on Victoria ( melb) and NSW (Sydney) for events that may tie in with your visit. Where in Sydney will you be working etc and when. Best regards bill

Bill

There is something on Liverpool Catholic Club on Sunday, do you know if it worth a visit.

Funny, my Aussie colleque knows Pinky, it,a small world..

Berndt, generally street machine show but everything will be there, bit modern for me, dont forget SYDNEY DRAGWAY has 2 day meet and is not far.Smile

57FordPU (5/26/2011)
Gary,

I've done my best with the rear springs to maintain stability by making them stiffer and installing new bushings.  Even with that there is some side play and just a little creates some "rear steer" that increases with speed.  The main problem would be in a spin.  You want that chassis to be stable and stay as flat as possible. 

Charlie, while you,re thinking of spinouts you may want a compass on the dash to get back on course. lol.Smile

By aussiebill - 11 Years Ago
Charlie, are you sure the engines still in there ?, i just cant see it! hah ha! Yes i can see where access to most things has to be allowed for as best as possible. Good luck in racing. bill.
By yehaabill - 13 Years Ago
Y-Guy Charlie:     I want to see the 'chute mounts, when you

get to the rear!!!

Bill

By yehaabill - 13 Years Ago
Y-Guy Charlie:     I think, with the clamped leaf set-up, you can custom "Tune"

by removing or adding clamps. Can't wait to see it finished and

the "LOOKS" it's going to get when you lift the hood!!!!

Keep it up,

Bill

By yehaabill - 12 Years Ago
Y-Guy Charlie:    I just noticed the "Blower" on the mock-up engine...tell us more...lol
By yehaabill - 12 Years Ago
Charlie:    I know you're itching to fire it up.....engine pictures next???

Bill

By yehaabill - 11 Years Ago
Charlie...about that GMC logo....maybe a Blue FORD Oval....maybe FMC....maybe???? We don't won't anyone to not stop

and look under the hood.....maybe a Y-Blocks Forever sticker or banner somewhere.....'jus think'n....Bill
By texasmark1 - 13 Years Ago
why the long wheel studs? noticed them on the front of "Jake" as well...

just wondering...

thanks,Mark

longer wheel studs = ok to do over 200 mpg, huh?

guess I'm safe with my stock ones!

thanks for the edge-u-mo-cation!

Mark

so that's why we used to see a lot of cars with a compass on the dash!!

now that's what I call "recalculating"!!

By BFOOTER03 - 13 Years Ago
Charlie, are you going to name it the Flying Scrub??
By 57FordPU - 14 Years Ago
The new race truck will surely be controversial.  I will show the progress on the roll cage, chassis and the Y-Block engine. 

The 57 Ford pickup is now officially retired, due to budget restraints it will be a donor for some race and safety parts.  I hope to put it back on the street in the future.

The roll cage main hoop is the first fabrication project.

By 57FordPU - 13 Years Ago
Thanks Todd and Ted, I will continue to post as long as there is an interest. 

I like to start with a clean frame.

Bing, I like your idea..............
Frank,

We had a great time with your visit.  You are welcome here anytime.  You helped me better understand the blower referencing for the fuel pump or regulator if we use a blow through carb setup.

Chuck,

There will be plenty of Y-Block information on the car.

Here is a mockup of the roll cage.

Its possible, but not likely that I will use this setup.  It just gives me inspiration while I'm building the truck.

Gary,

We think a lot alike, it would be great to run 30 psi and nitrous.  If the engine would stay together, all you would have to do is point it down the track and hold on.

Unfortunately, no fuels are allowed in any pickup classes and you are right to address the sealing of the head gasket with that kind of boost.

After talking to Jerry C and Cliff Williamson (you can see his ad on the inside cover of Y-Block Magazine, issue #101) sealing the combustion area is a major problem that can be resolved to some degree.  By silver soldering wire in the groves of the steel head gasket you might get away with a boost of 10 to 12 psi.  To get it up to 15 or more you would probably have to machine rings in the block to accept a Loc-Wire seal and that would be very expensive due to the irregular shape of the circle.

Here are the arm and leg restraints.

By 57FordPU - 2 Years Ago
All the comments are very helpful and appreciated.  Anything to help the reader have a better understanding is very important.

Continuing on what worked for me......

Next was to establish the timing of the intake cam lobe at .050" lift.  Moving my little jig over to the intake lifter, I rotated the crank to allow the lifter to be on it's heel where there is no lift.  I then set the dial indicator on the shortened push rod with some preload to insure constant contact. With pressure applied to the lifter by the screwdriver, to assure a correct reading, again I set the indicator to 0 and continued rotating the crank clockwise (natural engine rotation) until the lobe began to make it's lift and the indicator started it's move towards .050".  With pressure applied to the lifter, I continued to rotate the crank until .050" was reached on the indicator.  A look at the pointer on the degree wheel read 17° before top dead center (BTDC).

A glance at the cam card and I was excited to see that it should be 17° BTDC.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/933667ae-04b3-4a9e-8395-6e26.jpg 
My original goals were all related to comparing the cam degree specs to the cam card.  I only wanted to measure the following:

1.  The intake and exhaust lifts at .050"

2.  The total lift for the intake and exhaust lobes

3.  The cam lobe separation angle.

The second set of wanted data was a simple task to measure the total lifts on the lobes.  My dial indicator was already setup to do this on the intake lobe when I measured the timing at .050" lift.  It was just a matter of continuing the clockwise rotation of the crank until the dial indicator read the highest reading before following the lobe down the other side. 

Both the intake and exhaust lobes measured .360" lift.  Neither of these matched the cam card???  However, the cam card spec was .361" lift for the intake and .359" lift for the exhaust.  A call to the cam grinder set me at ease by telling me it was quite common to be off a thousandths or so in the measuring with a few variables at play when taking these measurements.  Positive lifter contact with the lobe, absolute placement of the dial indicator pointer, parallax error in reading analog gauges just to name a few.
After receiving a number of recommendations to also measure the #6 cylinder against the cam card, I wanted to know exactly why and a call to Ted Eaton was in order.

First, with the #6 and the #1 cylinders sharing the same cam spec measurements on the cam card, it was easy enough to move the dial indicator in position to take these measurements.  My findings were not perfect, but within a 1/2° from the card for the exhaust and 1° for the intake.  Another call to the cam grinder and he again set my mind at ease by saying something similar to what he had said earlier.

In talking to Ted, if a cam grinder mistake is made, it can happen when the grinding equipment is not changed to meet the specs on different engines.  Although the Y-Block is a 90° cylinder block like most are, the lifter bores are not.  The Y has an 86° lifter bore spread while a small block Che** has a spread of 82°.  You can see that from time to time the operator might not remember to make the change when grinding the Y cam.  Taking the specs on the number 6 cylinder catches this.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/54a55be2-24e1-4a1d-aa2a-e16d.jpg

Hi, Cliff.  You are right, below is the strap you speak of that I made to try both methods.  I used a carriage bolt to protect the piston and placed it about 1 1/2" in the hole.  This would be a great tool to use when you were placing a custom pointer on the damper and you don't have a dial indicator.  Please help me with the math you speak of, as I used a different method and came up with the same result for TDC as when I used the dial indicator.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a63aaa24-f044-460c-bb7d-3c5b.jpg

I then turned my crank clockwise in the natural engine rotation and watched as the piston began to sink in the bore.  As the dial indicator began to measure the distance of drop I slowly advanced it to .050.  Then I read and recorded the degree wheel at 14° After Top Dead Center.  Next, I rotated the crank in the counter clockwise rotation back past TDC and continued until the piston was going back down in the hole and watched the dial indicator measure the drop.  This time I went past the .050 reading and then rotated the crank clockwise until it came up to .050.  Again I read and recorded the degree wheel and found it to be at 16° Before Top Dead Center.  Why past .050" and then clockwise back to .050"?  It's possible the timing chain will have some slack and this procedure eliminates that.

Now the math and the adjustment in the wire pointer.  This is simple math and even common sense tells you the pointer needs to be moved 1° to the left.  The math is adding 14 and 16, getting 30 and dividing by 2 gives you 15.  Which means the pointer needs to be 15° from each reading.  Then I moved the pointer to 1° Before Top Dead Center and it was 15 degrees from each reading.  The last thing to do is loosen the timing wheel and rotate it to align the pointer to TDC and tighten it securely.  That was it for me.
Thanks,Cliff.  I understand and like your method.  I'm sure I will use it if I do this again.
If you are still with me and have an understanding of what I have done, it's time to say we have done nothing yet to actually degree in the cam.Blink

Now that I was confident that I had found TDC, it was time to explore the dimensions of the cam shaft.  The three measurements I had an interest in was duration at .050" lift on both the intake and exhaust lobes, total lift on both intake and exhaust lobes and lobe seperation.

These three dimensions when checked against the cam card gave me total confidence that this was the correct cam, it was installed correctly and ready to perform. 

The readings on the dial indicator came from the rise of the lifters.  This is a bit tricky to get the dial indicator placement so that the leg of the indicator is in contact with the lifter firmly and squarely.  I fabed up a guide to allow a shortened push rod to come up squarely above the deck.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/68ebd856-b10f-4b9f-a46b-4336.jpg

With the #1 cylinder exhaust lifter not showing any lift, I set the dial indicator at 0° and continued to rotate the crank clockwise until the lifter started to rise.  Assembly lube may have the lifter just a little higher that you would like, so I used a screw driver pressed on the lifter to resist the lift to be measured.  When the dial indicator read .050", I read the degree wheel and it read 72° Before Bottom Dead Center.  Checking with the cam card, it was right on!!!  (Note) You are reading the bottom numbers.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1fd4a1b8-ef80-454b-859d-54e5.jpg

Hi, Allen.  It would be good to see you out there.  My plan is to attend Speed Week for the first time since 2016.  September and October are better for lots of reasons, but the best chance for good salt and weather is in August.
Degreeing in the cam is a vital process in building any serious engine. The details and understanding while watching over the shoulder of professionals like Tim McMaster have never given me confidence to try it on my own. However, this time I am by myself here in Southern Oregon when it comes to racing Y-Blocks and I decided to take on the task.

The purpose is to make sure the cam you just installed matches the cam card that came with it. Machining mistakes are rare, but pulling the wrong cam off the shelf and putting it in the box with your cam card is a bigger possibility.

To be continued.........

First and foremost, a disclaimer is in order. In no way is the following suggested to be a tutorial on degreeing in a cam. It is just an explanation of how it worked for me.  Professionals (I don’t have to name any names) will have different procedures and tools to accomplish the same task in a manor that works best for them.

My intent is purely to help those who may be curious or may not have the confidence to try it themselves.  Sometimes it just takes one little thing for the light to come on and self confidence will follow.

The number one task for me was to determine absolute Top Dead Center (TDC) on the compression stroke of the #1 piston. All of the following measurements will be suspect if TDC is not first determined.

Using a dial indicator (Harbor Freight works great for me) is a must with perhaps a magnetic base that allows multiple positioning.  The start of the process is to bring up the #1 piston to TDC on the compression stroke as best I could.  Realizing that pistons have top end play, I felt like it could rock during the measuring with the dial indicator operation and give a false reading. Placement of the dial indicator on the axis of the connecting rod seemed to be the best placement and in the center felt like the best location.

When I say "best I could" when bringing up the piston to TDC on the compression stroke, it has two explinations.

First, If the valley cover is off, you can watch the valve action on the lifters and when the piston is at TDC on the compression stroke, both intake and exhaust lifters are in the down (or closed) position. 

Secondly, after I determined the piston was coming up on the compression stroke, I tried to stop it at TDC.  Notice "tried".  I had to realize that when the piston is at the top of it's stroke, there is a dwell moment when it seems not to move while the crank is actually still rotating.  Hence, the need for the exact TDC to be determined.

It was time to start the measuring.........

Placing the dial indicator arm on the piston and giving it some preload to insure constant contact, I revolved the outer edge to align the needle to 0° on the gauge. Is this TDC? Not yet.

If not already performed, the placement of the degree wheel on the end of the crank and a bendable pointer now come into play.  Ironically, it was not necessary for the TDC on the wheel to placed absolutely straight up when starting the process (I placed it at about the 2 o'clock position).  Actually, any position of TDC on the wheel can be placed to better enable me to read it.  With my "coat hanger wire" pointer attached to one of the right side timing cover holes, I bent it to make the wheel read 0° TDC.

Now comes the fun stuff........

By 57FordPU - 3 Years Ago
All mains torqued to spec.  Rear main seal is installed with silicone sealer everywhere, but sparingly. Seal is rotated in the block and the cap to expose 3/8" of seal on one side leaving a 3/8" cavity on the other.  This gives a solid seal at the block and cap parting line.  Oh, yes, place the lip towards the oil.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8ad26d76-7480-4de2-9fdc-b475.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/df57f896-6718-46d5-9c03-34d4.jpg

Rods are next, but first a small machining process to correct my mistake.

If you should decide to stamp the rods and caps to mate up correctly in the future, make sure you do so while they are still attached to the crank.  If you stamp these off the crank a distortion may occur.

When this short block left Tim's shop, I know the big ends of the rods were well within spec.  However, when I decided last year to take the engine apart, I couldn't read the finely engraved numbers to match up the rod with the caps.  I wanted to make sure I could easily read them, so I stamped them (off the crank) with a 3 pound hammer, I'm exaggerating, it was only a 2 pound hammerHehe (my dumb a**).  They were not far off, but out of spec is out of spec.

Checking for out of roundness.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b4324737-5d3a-4bd2-b9a5-dcb1.jpg

Material was removed from the mating surface of the big ends and then the rods were honed to the proper size.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e8f1e2d9-1660-4001-8c8d-661a.jpg

All eight rods are now resized and the pistons are ready for new rings. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4bc76bcc-b3bd-4986-b4d4-ca2.jpeg
I am using Total Seal rings with a gapless top ring.
Hi, Ted.  With a max of 15 pounds of boost, I set the end gap at .029".  I am used to seeing an overlaping gapless ring, but these came with a bottom grove to hold a rail ring.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/916eec03-1c73-41d3-a836-e1cf.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/50681db8-0f76-4e09-abf4-87dd.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b20de43e-97a9-4b3c-9de4-20d8.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5ffab52f-d32c-45d8-9577-b26e.jpg

Note the 20 or so gas ports on the top of the gapless ring.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b4bb86c9-9e5f-4f72-bd4b-059b.jpg

Just a shout out to John Mummert for some amazing pistons that were made to order some years ago.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3336af34-abd3-4277-8394-60ca.jpg

The cam is now in.  There is lots of assembly grease of course, but special care must be taken when re-installing the camshaft that was used in this engine previously.  It is essential that all the lifters be placed with the original matching lobes.  It is quite possible to mate up a lifter with a different lobe and experience a failure.  This is caused when the different wearing surfaces fight each other until the lobe goes flat.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/da598558-16a6-44aa-a7b2-30d4.jpg
Hi, Chuck.  You made reference to the previous pickups being yellow and perhaps this one will be yellow as well.  Well.......maybe not.  This is an old school build and sometimes I picture a different color scheme.  The number 981 will always be on any car I build, but that's because the number belongs to the owner, not the car.  We'll see what color comes to the top of the list.

The mains are all miked and within tolerance.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a49ac276-b96d-4873-b44e-c670.jpg

Just a precautionary polish on the crank as it has been out of the block for some time.  I am so happy with Tim McMaster's crank work.  the 292 steel crank is stroked and the journals are cut down to accept 1.850 rod bearings.  The journal surfaces are rolled into the counter weights and the leading edges and outer surfaces of those counterweights are nicely machined and smoothed.  His balancing of the rotating assembly is second to none (sorry TedSmile).

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/af36753a-b367-457c-a1fb-9c9f.jpg
Some might wonder why Tim isn't involved with the re-assembly of this engine.  First, I would love to have Tim involved, but he is 600 miles away now as I have moved to Oregon.  Remember, I'm trying to remedy the problem I encountered with the engine being so terribly difficult to rotate after I relieved the cylinders with the pistons still installed.Unsure  There may have been other issues, like solidified assembly lube as this engine sat for quite a few years, but no matter, this is going to be a great engine.

I have been doing most all of the assembly work myself with the guidance and sharing of special machinery from a local engine builder.  He is also a race car owner and driver on the circle track courses.  While there are a stream of flatheads going out of his shop, MELs, FEs, and a few Y-Blocks find their way here too.  However, he is not a Ford owner of anything and we poke fun at each other all day long.  Did I mention I was having fun with this engine?
The crankshaft is in and the main caps are set in place.  The center main with the thrust bearing is torqued to spec first.  This allows the end play to be checked and if it is not in spec, unbolting and slightlly moving the cap before torquing it again will change the end play and perhaps enough to get into spec. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/14bd83a5-553f-4f47-859d-3672.jpg
Getting ready to install the crank.  Only .0005" runout, thanks Tim for some outstanding machine work.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4393d2ed-ff58-4929-a8db-ded0.jpg
Miking pistons for new rings.  This time I will use a gapless top ring.  Notice a larger first ring land?  A miss communication with the piston builder resulted in a larger top ring land and now requires a spacer ring.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4db5e594-a735-4ce4-ba4a-154d.jpg 
I miked the lobe lifts and they were all at spec with the cam card.  I had originally thought the cam had gone flat, but that was not the case.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2b8a3cc3-5c8c-4b19-b007-7cc1.jpg
Hey, Chuck, you know me too well.  I will put something like a bed side for a vertical stabilizer or added sheet metal to satisfy the center of force vs the center of gravity problem in cars spinning.  The mock-up on page 48 was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but there will be something resembling a pick up bed side.
No, a roadster is a roadster in that class.  I don't know of anyone who has ever run one, and the committee chairman for that class hasn't either.  I couldn't run a real roadster pickup because of the strict rules that says everything has to be factory spec, including length of bed etc.

Cam bearings are in.  Yes, special care is needed to make sure all the oiling holes are lined up on the center bearing.  Restrictions are in the rocker towers in the receiving holes, but you need to make sure you have enough oil to restrict.  In the Y-Block Magazine's latest issue #166, a great read is Ted Eaton's article on "Top End Oiling Woes".  It is an excellent resource to follow before you attempt to install your cam bearings.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d5433c77-4bae-4dab-b370-37df.jpg

Hey, Cliff.  Yes, it is a 1969 VW ball joint front axle with Empi hubs and the only 5 lug pattern available, 5x4.75.  Most everything I have ever built was from parts I had laying around in the shop.
Hey, Chuck.  I had to smile when you mentioned a tailgate.  In the back of my head I see a tailgate open to about 45 degrees or so to make a spoiler.  It would raise eyebrows to have it supported back there at an angle with chains.Tongue
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c48bddb2-1252-4390-9ba2-755c.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3639fa17-7614-462e-bac7-60ad.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4c1d63c1-d781-4582-ad0a-8b77.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3978510d-a3e8-41a8-a0fa-9175.jpg

Lots of welding.
Thanks, Alan.  I will try to post progress as it happens.  I still have the stroker/turbocharged Y-Block to refresh.
It is time to start the re-assembly of the 338 cu. in. turbo Y-Block.

Cleaning the block for a new cylinder cross-hatch and hot tank.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4aaf4ebb-6d50-4be4-a6bf-936c.jpg

Honing just enough to get a new cross hatch pattern.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ef4a72ff-899d-40b1-82bd-1239.jpg
By 57FordPU - 4 Years Ago
Hi, Ted.  I'm in the process of taking the cam to Oregon Cams to be put in their equipment to measure exactly what the problem may be with the lobes.  I will let you know what the findings may be.  After a lengthy discussion with them, I'm sure I am not able to accurately measure the grind pattern due to the early ramp cuts.
It's time to put the Y-Block back together.  After determining what I did wrong, it's time to install new bearings, check all tolerances, and log all details.  This should be a great engine.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/547b4ca1-a720-4ae6-be39-3e5f.jpg
Honestly, Chuck, I'm looking forward to getting to the bottom of it all myself.  I'm now in the process of ordering bearings and prepping all the pieces for assembly.  I will keep y'all updated.
This covid thing sure has me at a standstill.  I need to get the engine to Tim McMaster down in California, but, travel just isn't in the cards right now and I just want to be there in person, eliminating just shipping it.  Immunization and good weather will make it happen soon I hope.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/839fcf9a-d485-4a19-84f6-3084.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e62f7277-b31d-460b-9bf6-f97e.jpg
Hello, fellow Y-Block enthusiasts.  For most of the last year I have been helping a dear friend work on his new Bonneville project.  Unfortunately, He had a serious heart attack and is still trying to make a recovery.  My time is now split between being close to him and continuing to work on my racing projects.  My attention will now be back on the 340 cu. in. turbocharged  Y-Block and putting it in a new "Ford" project car that I have been working on for the last couple of years.  As soon as I have more info on the Y-Block re-assembly, I will post it here.  
Finally, a Ford in a Ford truck, here is my Y-Block powered1927 Ford Ranchero project.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8a3b2b75-3c5e-4c8e-8e0c-18fe.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f6964b88-8cb5-419c-97e9-0c6a.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/016e0271-7aff-4dae-bb3e-ede6.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0f4c69c3-a6e4-4dbd-92a9-24ba.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3c459217-eab9-4ff6-bf40-81ec.jpg
Due to the limitations of my phone camera video downloading, this is Just a very short video (4 seconds) of the engine running in the truck.  Making sure all the wiring and plumbing is good to go before the turbo system is installed.  With the vertical exhaust, if this land speed thing doesn't work out, I can always do tractor pulls.Tongue

Sorry, my skills to change to an acceptable video format is not good enough to directly post the video here, so, here is the YouTube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfHguX2c5f0

Here's the vid:

Very nice!  Somebody helped me out............Thanks
My goal was always to be at the USFRA September meet, but that was cancelled.  The SCTA October meet is now the hopeful time to go.  Congratulations to Keith and Tim for some great runs.  You make the Y-Block and MEL fans very proud.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b401d28a-8b60-4c10-a522-bca1.jpg

A bit of bad news.  The cam went flat in last minute warmups.  The cam broke in just fine during the initial 25 minute run-in and again for the first few warm ups to tune.  After a few more warmups and valve adjustments, I discovered that two of the lobes had started to go flat. I'm not getting any younger, but I will be ready for next season.
Hi, Cliff.  The lifters are Johnson Hy-Lift.  I'm not able to find my notes on the spring seat pressure, I'll look for it.  The engine was actually built 7 years ago.
I wouldn't doubt it Paul.  If that's the case, it's all my fault for not running it in early and at least turning it over by hand periodically.  All the same kind of parts have performed very well for me throughout all these years.  It's nothing that Tim McMaster cannot fix and hopefully I will be able to get it to him soon so that I can run it in again.
Now working to repair the turbo header at the exhaust flex.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/34c650e3-2ff4-498c-86fb-ea06.jpg
Hello, Ian,
I hope you and your family are safe down under.  We are doing our best here and pray for everyone's health as we try to get through this pandemic. 
You are correct, I did plan to make changes to the turbo system.  I fired the old engineer (me) and hired a new engineer (me).  It's no excuse that this was my first attempt to build a custom turbo system from scratch, but I made a fatal error "while" placing the flexible exhaust section just ahead of the driver's side header.  It was a simple error and yet it caused me many headaches.  Everything is so tight under the hood and the distance from the header collector to the merge area was shorter than the smallest flexible exhaust section I could find.  My cure (old engineer) was to shorten the flanges on the ends of the flex pipe.  This shortened machine pressed collar did  weld fine to the merge pipe flange, and it welded ok at the header end.  The exhaust flow exiting the merge end gave no problem with the narrowed collar, however, the exhaust entering the flex pipe did considerable damage to the interior pressed collar on the header collector side.  When that interior collar started to tare away, it eliminated the clamping pressure for the exterior ring and the flex pipe started to disintegrate.

As of now, my solution (new engineer) was to shorten the collection of individual exhaust pipes to make a new collection area and use a new flex pipe without shortening the flanges.  I'll post more as the system makes progress.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5ba23ecc-540d-4cad-9edb-2097.jpg 
Thanks for the comment Dave.  In my case, the turbo is actually mounted to the front roll cage support and to the top of the timing cover.  It is a very solid mounting system and it adds to keeping the engine still as well.  The engine is also mounted solid to the cross member and frame.  There is more movement than just from the engine itself.  There is also movement in the headers and crossover pipe from heat expansion and ultimately contractions when it cools down.  I like your thinking about a cushion mounted turbo, and perhaps a complete engine mounting on the timing cover would work very well.
I'm kinda stuck with this system and it really has served me well (except for my mistake).  I've had no pipe or welding failures in the headers themselves.  There are two flex pipes in this system and the other one is in the crossover pipe that connects the passenger side exhaust to the merge with the driver's side.  It has never given me a problem and most likely that's because I didn't have to narrow the pressed collars on each end.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/466a582f-432a-4078-84a6-08cb.jpg
Next is a hand made collector.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a57c3fb9-4f9a-4b5d-8f38-5afa.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/917cc997-26a1-4567-8998-5fa4.jpg

Too bad I won't use much of it.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/dd6d2c3b-a121-4e75-bc65-0069.jpg

If you noticed the three bolt flanges that connected the exhaust system, they now have been changed to a "V" band clamp.  The three bolt flanges worked just fine for the low (5lb psi) boost, but my plans are to crank it up to at least 10 and these clamps become necessary.  There are two in the system.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/91e1a7b9-19c2-48d4-a9fc-f269.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d9fe6af8-837b-460f-be3f-4459.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fc6370fb-29e9-434a-8c09-f983.jpg
Just some things I do.  Others have taught me and sometimes I listen.  I'm still learning.

Indexing plugs has always been a part of the tune.  Keeping the ground strap base away from the combustion chamber as much as possible has made sense to me.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2d8b6a85-c041-46ea-8e30-f0ba.jpg

You don't always get them perfect, but after trying all plugs in all holes, you do the best you can.  Sometimes you have to try more than 8 plugs.  Even with MSD, I gap at .035 to help the spark from blowing out under boost.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/383b6dfe-34ed-4aa3-b7ca-61d7.jpg
By 57FordPU - 5 Years Ago
Paul, Thanks for the questions.  I have great friends, but when I show them something interesting about the engine or race car, they look at it and then they say, "hey you have a new calendar on the wall"!!!  It's nice to chat with someone who is truly interested.

Your questions about the heads, compression loss and cam lift are valid.  The heads are 471 castings and are a common replacement for "F" code engines.  They have lower compression than the "G" heads but that is necessary to let the engine live a little longer with reduced detonation and Tim McMaster thinks they may flow every bit as good.  Tim did a great job on these heads.  I have been running them for about 5 years now and they are an integral part of making these Y Blocks fly. The relieving does contribute to making the compression even lower, however it is necessary for the valves to clear the cylinder walls.  During a chassis dydo session for rear wheel horsepower and considering a 17% parasitic loss from all the drive train components, the little 258 cu in Y Block made 454 flywheel hp with these heads.  All this on 5 lbs of turbo boost makes me a believer in Tim's work.

Another mention was of the extra lift in the cam and whether the extra lift was necessary (requiring deeper cylinder wall relieving).  The personality of these turbo cams are quite different than normally aspirated engine cams.  First of all most of the duration overlap is eliminated.  The lobe separation is 114 and the center lines are 110 on the intake and 118 on the exhaust.  When the exhaust opens too early, the boosted charge escapes to some degree into the exhaust headers.  What the turbo setup does like is higher lift.  I have put as much lift into the valve train as I can afford.

These engine specs and choices of parts are not optimum.  Aluminum heads etc. would be nice, but I'm happy with what Tim has help me build so far.  The little 258 cu in Y ("E" motor) went 161 mph (on a 158 record) at Bonneville last September and I couldn't be more pleased .  This new build (actually, the new short block was created over 4 yrs ago) will jump two classes to "C" and the record there is 192 mph.  Will this new Y Block measure up to those aftermarket scrubs?  It did in "E", but 192 is a tall order.  I calculate it will take 650 hp to make that happen and the new short block (albeit more cubic inches at 338) won't get me there alone.  I have some changes on the top end that hopefully will push me closer to the 200 mph goal.
Heads are now on.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b9adcb28-4c71-4922-9870-4b3c.jpg

Windage trey on.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/af3f72bd-6872-486c-b998-1e13.jpg
Thanks Cliff.  Hello Charlie, the windage trey is a poor boys attempt to help in a couple of ways and I have used this unit for about 10 years.  I created a steel framework to tie the main webs via the extruding main studs.  It doesn't connect to the pan rail, so I'm not sure of the effectiveness.  The windage trey is from a Jeep V8 (not sure of the year).  I carved on the stock unit to allow clearances for everything and welded it to the girdle framework.

The old Schiefer aluminum flywheel has seen better days.  It has served me well and after surfacing it at a local machine shop, it is still true.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6a5534f3-7394-4196-9e0e-d1df.jpg 
Ready to run-in.  Fingers crossed.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1b9b414c-a525-40b9-a5c9-d4f9.jpg
The run-in was a success with no flat cam lobes, no smoke and no metal in the engine oil.

Sorry, for the link, but I am unable to chance the format of the video to post directly here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns2pqWt6j_s

Thanks, Daniel.

We were ready for the October Bonneville, but it rained out.  That's racing.....  This winter has seen a few changes as I wasn't very happy with a lot of the engine and transmission configuration.  I pulled the engine and decided to go back to the T-5 transmission.  I had lost faith and blamed it for losing the 258 motor in 2018.  After sending it to a local trans builder, he said it was in great shape and only had to change one syncro, an O ring and the tailshaft bushing.  Ahead of that, I changed the aluminum flywheel to a new light weight steel unit from John Mummert.  He also sent a new clutch and pressure plate earlier and now the drive line is all changed.

After finding out the transmission wasn't at fault for the instant rev and valve float that crushed the number 4 piston, I turned my attention to the flywheel.  I bounced my theory off of those with more experience (like John Mummert) and all believed it had merit.  The face of the flywheel was very burnt and had some loss of it's steel face inert.  The clutch face of the pressure plate had the same burnt markiings.  After facing the flywheel, it mounted true, but now it was thinner than ever and it gave me concern.  My theory is that the cast aluminum flywheel (now at least 50 years old) may have flexed just enough at the pressure plate mounting points with the clutch fully engaged, to allow the full contact with the clutch disk to diminish.  The instant high rev came at the end of second gear when the engine was at full power and starting to push the wind somewhat.  The clutch disk most likely didn't have enough pressure and contact to keep it from slipping and just freewheeled on it's own.  The old clutch plate did have a significant amount of glazing, but no damage.

the following pictures show how to shoehorn something big into a small opening.  Lifting the rear of the car and lowering the front helped a great deal.  The rear bellhousing mount crossmember is detachable and helped in the process.  The engine is back in and now ready for other changes, especially the turbo headers.  I have had more than one failure with the expansion joints and I will show that change as well as others soon.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/435c9d7e-9cd5-4866-88ba-be9e.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f363abe4-01d8-4cbd-b30b-5d22.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3cc474f3-a4ad-4d87-87c5-ede5.jpg

Bill, first of all, you can email me anytime.  You have great questions and I'm happy to share the best I can.  The crank was just offset ground. The rod lengths are 6.320".  The wrist pin dia. is 9.12 and the comp height is 1.650" and the big ends are 2.008".
Good eye Charlie, my comment of a 2.008" big end was the rod ID, not the journal.  The journals are 1.889".
Back to the 338" Y-Block build.  Next is relieving the block.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c2f9a333-61ca-4fec-9633-46ef.jpg
Hi, Dennis, it's ok, they are snap-on.
The dial indicator shows all 16 valves has cylinder wall interference.  I started by tracing all the valve pockets in the head gasket onto the deck.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/dd28ba99-be5f-4e09-9c73-041b.jpg
Sorry, been away for a while, but back now.
Hi, Ted, in answer to your questions, the total lift is .556 on the intake and .553 on the exhaust.  I am still using those lightened and polished stock 1.54 rockers.  They have seen 7k rpm so many times and I am very impressed that they have held together.  It would be nice to have some 1.60 or higher ratio roller rockers, but this has always been a budget race program.

You also asked about the milling of the heads.  They have just been touched up and the lugs still measure 1.00".  You also asked about the valves and they are 2.02" on the intake and 1.60 on the exhaust.  Another concern is the top ring distance to stay below the reliefs.  These Racetec pistons were ordered by John Mummert after we discussed all the requirements for this build.  The rings are of course 1.63 mm (1/16") with extra crown, flat top, and the first land is at .400"
By 57FordPU - 6 Years Ago
Yes, Charlie it has.  I have somehow made some great runs that had to endure difficult shifts.  I believe the last run the 258" made destroyed the engine by floating the valves when it jumped out of 2nd gear.  I dissembled the T5 and found a well ground 1st-2nd slider gear and almost no teeth on the syncro.  The Toploader served me well in the 57 pickup, but I thought the integrated shifter and the closer ratio of 3rd to 4th in the T5 would be better.  The Toploader is freshly rebuilt and I have a Hurst Competition Plus shifter that will hopefully make better shifts and get me through the 3rd to 4th gap with more horsepower than I have had in the past.
The new cross member is fabed up, now to shorten and balance the drive shaft.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/36be96e5-5e82-4190-976b-4738.jpg
I moved all three pedals back 2".  What a great change.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b5cf285f-cd77-4d90-b1c9-7678.jpg
The drive shaft is now shortened and I switched from power steering to a manual steering box.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/081a60b7-5f09-4f9b-89af-5a11.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/bf460d93-2dc2-4f09-b8ec-6560.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/41faee1d-923f-4443-8e17-d9f7.jpg
The heads are back from Tim McMaster.  Now I need to assemble the engine with the new stroker short block, but first I need to clay the valves.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f483fbf4-cc9e-4eda-adf9-590f.jpg
Bill, the new engine is quite different than the previous Y-Block.  This block has 338 cu. in. while the last one had 258.  The new short block has a bore of 3.875 and a stroke of 3.580.  The 258 had all off the shelf parts, de-stroked 1954, 239 crank with a 2.99 through, scruby 6 cyl rods and 1980 Ford Taurus pistons.  The 338 has a 292 Ford truck forged crank, NASCAR rods, and custom Racetech pistons.  The cam is the same in both engines.  It is relatively mild except for the lifts of .556 intake and .553 exhaust based on a stock 1:54 rocker ratio.  The lobe seperation is 114 and the duration at .050 lift is 254 intake and 267 exhaust.  All the cams I have used have been re-grinds from stock units.  Oregon Cams has been great to give me wonderful results in both normally aspirated (57 Ford pu) and turbo cams (current race car).

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/57bbbdb0-3986-4439-9fbc-5d44.jpg
While taking the cam out I found more destruction, the front cam retainer came off in a few pieces.  The crank survived with only a few dings in the counter weights.  I don't think I will ever build another de-stroked motor, but I guess I'll keep it, it is a beautiful piece of art with a 2.990 stroke. (Thanks Tim McMaster)

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d1f7f97a-0747-4675-9d5d-677d.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/140b2f0c-a618-4565-a247-bd21.jpg
After complete disassembly of the engine and positioning the truck for modifications, I made a list of things to do.  I have all winter, but you know how that goes, so I better get started.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f0bb6057-8800-4980-a5c0-3ff8.jpg
You are correct Ian.  Actually I intend to put a scoop on the hood as part of the new ideas for engine bay cooling.  I'll add it to the list.

First is out with the air bag system.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1f622481-87eb-449d-917b-c7fc.jpg
Coil springs are back in.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8e786943-4930-4b4c-a870-645a.jpg

Switching from 3.50 to 2.75.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/29ee8ce0-4014-4c4d-a885-fa6b.jpg
The 3rd member is back in with 2.75 ratio (hope I can make enough power to push that!).  Installed a drain plug for easier changes in the future.

I mocked up the engine and transmission to aide in fabricating a new frame cross member for the top loader 4-speed. I just lost confidence in the T-5 I was running before.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/dd0f7f8d-62cb-4b3f-8f82-a321.jpg
Thanks again Ted, the instructions worked.  I've posted many pictures over the years and thought I had it down, but I guess if you don't use it (often enough) you loose it!
Still getting ready for World of Speed at Bonneville next month.  During systems checks I found this crack!!!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a8b1980-f804-4d4f-b2c2-230b.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/592cfa13-e29d-424f-b940-bfcd.jpg

My fault totally for not draining the water out of all possible problem areas during the winter.  I took care of the engine block, but forgot about the water in the intercooler. Hehe All is well now.
Thanks Dennis, (December is not that far away!)

A few last minute details to pass tech.

Re-certified fire bottles.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5e7bc440-47ba-4ebf-8be5-18b9.jpg

Replace outdated safety harness.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/681afb9e-19a3-4c05-acc3-22c5.jpg

Replace outdated helmet.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2dd7521f-fd52-4544-ad24-e84a.jpg

Getting closer to being ready.  We have to leave Wednesday the 12th.
A small flame from the driver side header called for a last minute repair to a pin hole.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/22f6784b-2b1c-4adc-8b09-c562.jpg

All better now.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0297a700-83c2-4c93-b7fb-f8f5.jpg
No record for us this year.  After 10 years of faithful service the little 258 ended its life in a huge bang.  While doing close to 100 in second gear I thought I heard a horrible grinding in the transmission and the engine rpm went through the roof.  It could be I stripped all the gears off or the clutch exploded and left the engine to fend for itself with the accelerator to the floor.  As I have no data recorder, I will just have to tear everything down to know for sure, but the little engine just couldn't survive the revs.

It's easy to speculate, but I'm sure it wasn't the engine's fault.  Tim McMaster has built me the best engine I could have ever hoped for on my budget as my biggest sponsor is Social Security.  There are NO after market parts below the intake except for bolts and studs.  Again, if it wasn't for the over revving problem, I believe the engine would still be alive today.

As a side note, after 5 years running this car, I finally had a considerable safety issue.  All that exhaust tubing under the hood left many vulnerable areas for fire.  I had experienced exhaust leaks before, but they were either gasket or fastening failures.  This time the driver side header flex portion came apart at a manufactured seam.  This shot fire straight at the fuel system.  Although all lines are stainless braided and heat protected, I firmly believe if I had made the full pass on the record run I would have had to have the emergency crews on top of me immediately.  Sometimes I think the race truck knew what was best for me and ended it early.

On a very positive note, I have the next stage of Tim McMaster Y-Block on deck as planned and we will jump up two classes.  The only off the shelf parts are the block and heads.  I will make necessary changes to the exhaust systems and give myself much more safety confidence as we head for faster speeds.   

I will begin the inspection process today and report on the problem.
Yes, there was a rev limiter.  It probably worked, but I'm thinking freewheeling rpms might be less forgiving than while under a load???

I disassembled the transmission and the second gear slider was really chewed on the end and the syncro had almost no points left.  My theory of the transmission jumping out of gear might be correct as I researched T-5 problems with these warn parts and jumping out of gear is a common symptom. 

Some of the carnage is interesting as you can just imagine the cycles of destruction that must have taken place.

A window below the starter in the skirt as well as the pan from the #4 cylinder.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4cf326f7-f3a3-4271-afec-784f.jpg

Almost a complete wipeout of the #4 cylinder wall.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/cd442476-3c73-48dd-b386-ac9f.jpg

Broke through the valley in two places.  Note lifters broke in half.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ffd8c88c-5012-415d-8077-6f27.jpg

Broke the camshaft completely at the last two lobes.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2cbe6f7a-1647-4cf6-b519-7eda.jpg

Lots of debris in the pan.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7bb49d0f-fbea-4b93-8aca-77cc.jpg

The #8 piston was hammered by both valves and left the exhaust valve severely bent.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8e5956bc-4d4d-4ea4-9cb9-6c4e.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c75f85f7-03fc-48a6-bc36-4507.jpg

Other areas of damage were the windage trey was bent, teeth from the distributor and cam gears were destroyed, and the aluminum flywheel was nicked pretty good when the freeze plug from behind the cam tried to exit the bell housing.  The crazy thing is the rod was bent, but not broke.  The heads need to be checked for cracks or guide problems, as they will be used on the new stroker motor.

Perhaps the engine's destruction started with floating valves, but only the #8 piston had valve marks.  If there was contact between the #4 piston and it's valves, we will never know.

By 57FordPU - 7 Years Ago
No, This guy is much better looking than Bernt (just kidding Bernt).  Super nice and total gear head fits the bill, but it isn't him.

Just a note, our Y-Block friend Bob Martin (coordinator of the shootout), asked me to mention a great TV show he saw and wanted to share with anyone interested.  It's a Bonneville story of Mickey Thompson's son and his quest to further the success of the family streamliner.   It will show again on Wednesday at 9:30 (Eastern?) on the Fox Business Network channel.

He may have sent some of you an email as well, but just in case, he wanted me to share it.

The Bonneville race truck is running fine and waiting for a chassis dyno appointment.  If all goes well, we will be back on the salt this summer.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4860707e-432b-4fe4-8e18-e136.jpg

The new shop is now complete with everything I own piled in the middle of the floor.  The job at hand is to build storage and work areas while getting the Y-Block powered pickup ready for the September Bonneville.
New chin spoiler.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/515a7d50-2f19-487b-a870-c19c.jpg 
I sure wish I could get some help posting pictures again.  Anyone?  I have already notified the webmaster.
Thanks, Ted.  I will give the instructions a try and then contact you with my computer info if that doesn't work.  Thanks again.
By 57FordPU - 8 Years Ago
Chalk one up for the Y-Blocks, we set the Bonneville record on Sunday with a two run average of 147.239 mph.  We are in the books forever and like all records, it will be broken sooner or later.  Both runs had different problems, but they were still faster than the competition up to that point.  We had to leave after the record run and gave the other two E/BMMP entries something to shoot at for the rest of the week.  They both have a chance, but for Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, the record is ours.

At the line.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c1266084-bf73-4364-a44e-b92d.jpg

In impound after the first run of 151.973 mph.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/72b15b22-4832-4725-9b78-44bf.jpg

The move to Grants Pass was a success, well, almost.  The only casualty was the driver's door on the race car Sad

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/dfb3e085-fc17-4a60-b730-7f30.jpg

It's just metal and can be fixed.  We are now waiting for the house and the new race car shop to be finished. 
With the move to Grants Pass pretty much complete, it is time to get ready for the 2017 Bonneville Speedweek.  First is a door repair.  Too bad the only casualty in the whole move was to the race car.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f9e6d8ef-51d8-43aa-bbab-c8d0.jpg
Hi, Chuck,

No changes to the drive train. I would like to take the record back in this class and then move on to the stroker motor next year.  We ran a high of 154 but our record was moved up to 159 by a friendly competor.  I believe this set up has a promising 165 still in it. 
With all the moving, yesterday was the first time I have been able to start the engine since Bonneville 2016.  A few surprises awaited me.  I lost a crossover pipe gasket losing a great deal of boost.  Next the number two cylinder lost both push rods as the adjusters vibrated almost all the way out.  The push rods were not bent, but were wedged deep in the holes.  However,  the most serious problem was water gushing out of the radiator.  After consulting with Tim McMaster, I'm now in the process of removing the head after compression tests all around.  Hopefully it is just a blown head gasket.
Yes, speed was down by 10 mph.  Working on the problem.  See you there.
Great visit with Bernt and Marie from Sweeden.  He has a 56 Victoria and a 64 Galaxie.  We talked Y-Blocks and FEs, and he did a good job understanding all the piping in the turbo system on the race car.  I thought he would help me turn a few wrenches to finish up the head gasket change, but there was too much to talk about for a couple of days before they had to be off to Europe.  Safe trip my friends...........

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82cd9a1f-7c1d-4b5f-9e61-8efe.jpg
Thanks, Ian, I hope all is well down under.  Hi to the family please.
We sure enjoyed ourselves at the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona, CA this weekend.  There were lots of great cars and quite a few very nice entries with Y-Blocks.  I had a chance to visit with members of this group who were also at the show.  Keith "Landspeedy" was there with a booth promoting his "Rolling Bones" shop, Chuck "MoonShadow" came with him and helped tow a car, really good friends Todd "BIGREDTODD" and of course Tim McMaster "mctim64".  I'm sorry I didn't get to see you JD "DryLakesRacer", I did see a few Firebirds, but didn't know which one belonged to your friend.  There were lots of people asking questions about landspeed racing and quite often there were those who were looking at the truck, then at the engine, and then back to the truck while scratching their heads.  It was great to see John Baechtel and his wife Annie (see picture).  John is the website owner of www.hotrodenginetech.com (a must see) and the person who wrote the last story on the race truck. If you have not taken the time to read this article, he did a great job and the link is his website (see above, just scroll down the featured articles in the upper right and you will see the truck).  His credentials are very creditable as he spent almost 20 years as an editor of both Car Craft and Hot Rod magazines.  During that time he supervised and built a never ending stream of project cars and test engines.  He also speaks my language, as he is a member of the 200 mph club at Bonneville with a car he built and still owns today.  The well known hotrodder Ed Iskenderian also came by, he really is into Y-Blocks.  A picture was also a must with him, Tim McMaster and Tim's wife Kathy.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/304ecd24-2b5c-4ab4-9d02-dfd7.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/400ce3fe-5aff-4ea2-8263-6914.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b19c680b-92c5-44a2-b3a4-3c50.jpg
Just a little something more while waiting for Speed Week 2016.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4d9b9986-0cba-4def-8268-57e5.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e2e022c9-b8d7-4af3-ab6d-b949.jpg

We raced again on July 17th at El Mirage Dry Lakes.  With only one opportunity to run, it was virtually wasted with the #7 spark lead jumping off at just past half track.  Our goal was to earn the next licensing level of 150 to 175.  Any clean run showing competency and following all the rules in the speed range you are looking to license in will earn the license.  I was well above the 150 mark when I felt the engine nose over some and it started to slow as I approached the finish line.  The 140 plus time slip was very disappointing, as now I will have to do this deed again at Bonneville in a couple of weeks.  However, we had a great time with new pit crew member Mark Acosta and veteran Dave Bezinque.  The little Y-Block sounds so strong on eight cylinders, too bad I didn't give it a chance and check the leads.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/43c25dbe-8773-4b04-a9f9-52b3.jpg  
Thanks, Gary.  Yes Chuck, Tim will be there.  We will arrive on Thursday the 11th and will try to tech early.  We will look for you and try to pit close.  Looking forward to seeing you, Keith and all the Rolling Bones crew (Ted too?).
Old and new war horses.  The new one is on it's way to Bonneville today, the old one goes with us next week to Grants Pass, Oregon.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/553067eb-6366-4515-a17a-dc85.jpg
By 57FordPU - 9 Years Ago
Hey J.D.  I was line number 196 and just ahead of you, I went off at 2:17.  I'm sorry I didn't know you were there but you know how it is, when you are trying to campaign a car, you just don't have the time you would like to go visit other pits.  I did see the YouTube video and it looked very exciting.  I can imagine the frustration of just missing the record (your's right?).  I will do my best to attend El Mirage in May 2016 and will be looking for the roadster.  I see you looked up the record in my class.  You are right the El Mirage minimum is way too steep for me.  These runs are just for licensing and making sure the race car was up to the task.  I will change to a "C" motor for a run at the Bonneville record next August.  I gathered some very nice parts for a stout Y-Block and Tim McMaster has put an excellent engine together.  I will use the same heads and turbo system but up the tune and boost a little more.
Just a little warm up with the turbo.  Filmed by my young friend Mark Vanek. (see youtube link below)

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7a9b375d-728b-405a-a265-619a.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYQ6i6P5tV4
The maiden voyage for the turbo Y Block.  I'm limited to 150 mph for a license run.  This little 258 Y Block ran great right out of the box.

For the Hallow Heads, you asked about the coil I use.  It is an MSD Blaster canister type with an MSD 6AL CD box.  This coil works just fine, the box and coil have been used since 2007 with numerous runs and dyno pulls.  I would like to run the u-core coil, but it is advertised to be used with a 7 series MSD box and that will have to wait until I melt this setup or my ship comes in, which ever comes first.

You also asked about the boost, RPM, advance and gas type.  I have a 5 lb. spring in the 60 mm wastegate, but I have seen 7 pounds boost on the gauge.  I shift at 7000 rpm, but I believe I was only turning 6400 at the line on the 148 mph run.  The normally aspirated 258" Y ran best at 39 degrees BTDC, but I currently run a very conservative 20 degrees all in.  The fuel I use is Sonoco 110 race gas.

These moderate settings for boost and advance along with a fat fuel/air ratio is nothing more than a buffer to keep things in one piece until I reach the top speed for this setup.  After that, I will get very aggressive.
Thanks Gary, the yellow paint and the turbo Y Block will have a chance to be seen at the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona.  The show is January 29 thru 31 this month and it is an honor to be selected as one of the participants.  It is not to be in competition as it is far from being a show car.  It will be one of the representative vehicles in a landspeed display.  For sure mine will not be the only Y-Block powered vehicle there.  Among others will be Tim McMaster's Model A sedan (in the Suede Palace I believe) and his Unibody also in the landspeed display. 

I have seen this article link on quite a few websites and face book pages including a post here. What I haven't done is properly thank the person responsible for the write up. He is John Baechtel and he is the man behind the media group website of HotRodEngineTech.com. His former editor status is for Car Craft and Hot Rod magazines. We have been trying to finish this piece for a couple of years now, just waiting for the weather and opportunity to allow my first run in the truck. And run it did. Posting the new speed and the effort to get this race car on the track is the theme of the story. If you catch the underlying message that even the "little guy" can have success, then you get the reason for the article. The message is also clear that the Y-Block is not to be forgotten anytime soon.  Thanks so much John................

If you care to read the article, here is the link. http://hotrodenginetech.com/
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/69d37a13-fa75-4737-a200-ff7f.jpg

By 57FordPU - 10 Years Ago
John, it is my plan to be there.  It is Father's Day weekend and I have two daughters who live near by.  I look forward to meeting you and all the other west coast Y-Blockers.  I'll email for instructions and info.
Well................Charlie, is that a subtle way of trying to bring up old dirt................or was that gravel?
We finally had a chance to put the new race truck on the track.  Last Saturday was the last race of the season for El Mirage and we were able to only make one pass.  My goal was to secure a "D" license (125 to 149).  I used a GPS speedo and ran it up to the high 140's and held it there until I crossed the finish line.  The time slip said 148.057.  The second goal for the weekend was to take it up past 150 for a "C" license (150 to 174), but the weather changed that and the meet was cancelled on Sunday.  The little 258" turbocharged Y ran better than expected right out of the box and I was a happy boy.  Thanks Tim.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9badadd5-3d77-4267-b3c1-41cb.jpg
Thanks Billy,  I have to be honest, I wasn't watching the tach at the end, I was so careful not to exceed 149 that my whole attention was on the GPS speedo.  If I would have gone 149.001 or higher, my run would have been disqualified.  I did shift at 7000 as I always do, and that would be close to the limit in fourth gear.  For my setup on paper, 6200 rpm is 148 mph and 7000 would be 167.  I am using aggressive street tread 200 mph tires in the rear for traction and although less aerodynamic, I believe they would have slipped less than the front runners I usually run.  My best educated guess is that I was turning about 6400 rpm on that run.  Until I have a data logger I will probably be a little in the dark about traction loss.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0b3200e1-a99a-4a3f-9469-395f.jpg
Thanks, Frank, Seppo and all the Hollow Heads.  I found it interesting that the waste gate housing had turned a dark blue/purple after the first run.  It has had one dyno pull and numerous warmups, but the shinny stainless steel body was still bright before running down the 1.30 mile course.  It just has a 5 lb spring and that means there was a great deal of hot exhaust gasses bypassing the turbo.  I hope that thing never sticks shut, the helmet would be forced back into the padding for a few seconds just before the loud bang!
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ab5df74c-2cf8-48e9-acff-c9be.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/61385324-a984-4fc7-9f9c-0f4e.jpg
Yes, I do run an intercooler.  I have an aluminum ice water tank in the bed and pump the chilled water up to the water to air intercooler that is located between the radiator and the front timing cover.  I don't have an intake charge temp gauge, (wish I did), I just try to keep the charge as cool as I can.  I would also like to run an alcohol/water injection system, but the alcohol would be a violation of the class rules as there are no fuel classes for trucks in the California Timing Association.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fccd6d60-f21f-4a7c-938a-3f2a.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e52d5aca-5499-479f-8866-fd8b.jpg

I noticed the time of the last post at 4am.  Believe me I was not awake at 4am. Smile
Daniel, you have it quite right.  Turbo cams are quite mild compared to naturally aspirated race cams.  The lift is still important, but the overlap is decreased substantially.  The lobe separation on the Brick engine was 108* while the turbo separation is at 114*.  Ramp speeds and other cam lingo is a little above my head, but reducing the overlap starts exhaust scavenge earlier and helps keep the charge in the combustion chamber on the intake stroke.  The attachment below is the cam card which shows all the specs.
Yalincoln, thanks for the comment.  The 61 Comet was going well and my intent was to run in a gas coupe class until a friend of mine rolled up the driveway with the GMC mini pickup on a trailer and said "It's all yours".

When I first started to go landspeed racing 15 years ago I had a plan A, B, and C.  The Brick was plan A and I had hoped to reach 125 mph and walk before I ran, and we walked pretty good.  Plan B was the 61 Comet and I had hoped to advance to 150 mph.  Plan C was always to run a GMC mini truck for the very best aerodynamics available and get back in the pickup divisions to run 200 mph.

Once the Brick was retired I started to work on the Comet and had a good start with a Mustang II front end and a 9" rear.  I had fitted the Y-Block and a T-5 in the Comet when the GMC arrived.  The Comet immediately went on the back burner and I proceeded with plan "C".  It is yet to be seen if I go from walking to running but I have faith that the 339" stroker that Tim is assembling now will hold together until I can figure out how to make enough power to reach my goals.  The 258" motor is a great place to get started with this project and the 339" engine will be set in place after the Bonneville Speedweek in August. 

By the way, I bumped the BonnevilleComet thread just in case anyone wanted to see the old posts about it, and you were the last one to post on it!  The last couple of pages are off topic, but the pictures were back on page 9.

Me too.  I have thoughts of getting back to work on it now that the mini truck is finished.
El Mirage was cancelled due to high winds and dust before I was able to make a pass.  I was third in line to run when the meet was called. Sad  Tim had a lower starting number and was able to make one trip down the course.  I'll let him tell you about his run.  Still a great time was had seeing friends and some new cars.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/88d449f5-c54a-4793-976b-59ae.jpg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4225fa89-cc65-4014-9b58-4c88.jpg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fe4d440e-0ade-4319-b8b6-773f.jpg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8d898c91-ffbe-4537-b0bc-f3c6.jpg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e18001cc-a899-4e7b-8103-5c52.jpg

As you might expect there were a few "What the heck" a bunch of "What the hell" and a couple of "WTF", but mostly smiles and head nods. Smile  Bonneville will have a bigger reaction.
By 57FordPU - 11 Years Ago
Thanks guys, the kind words are encouraging. I had just finished the last of the small details on the truck an hour before loading it in the trailer. I had not even started it yet with the turbo system. Had I decided to run, it might have been a little embarrassing if it didn't start. Mainly it was the last race of the season and I needed to be sure it would pass tech.

I hope to have a better product next spring by doing some chassis dyno tuning. I will certainly post some videos of that. This engine is the same block with the cast Tarus pistons, Chevy 6 cyl. rods and the de-stroked 239 crank. The cam has been replaced with a much milder version. The lobe separation is now up to 114*, the duration for the intake is 254* and the exhaust is 267* @ .050" lift and the total lift is still relatively high at .556". Tim has ported some 471 heads with a little less compression than the ECZ-G's on the original engine.

I had a previous post showing the engine running without the turbo and I set the timing at 20* BTDC to start the turbo tune. It ran OK, but the hp must have been down a bit.

After setting up the turbo system, I switched to a turbo specific carb from Quick Fuel Technologies. The carb size and initial jets were selected by their tech help. I closed the gap to .035" on some Autolite 124 plugs, and added new Ford Racing wires, rotor and the larger cap. I set the waste gate spring at 5lbs and the waste gate remote controller at 0. I then filled the fuel cell with 110 octane and loaded it on the trailer.

At El Mirage I met with Cliff Williamson. He has been a long time moral supporter for me and after tech he said it sure would be nice to hear it run. Well with great hesitation, I reached over and turned the ignition switch on along with the supporting switches to pump fuel, circulate water, etc. and I pushed the starter button......... Wham! it started like it knew what it was doing and I gave a big sigh of relief. Sometimes you just get a little lucky.
Blessed again with a picture in the 2014 SCTA Bonneville and El Mirage rule book. This picture heads up the modified mini-pickup rules section.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/f397c647-2cef-49b6-8b31-5525.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/25a3e88d-518b-47de-b5f6-c009.jpg

There are no captions for these pictures to identify the race team or drive train. I guess we will have to wait for the hood to be raised to see the reaction to the Y-Block.Smile
Thanks Glenn, yeah, that would be a great idea. The "Brick" and the "Mini-Me", I mean the "Mini-Brick".

Chassis dyno today, sorry no pictures or videos.  It was just me and the technician.  Just one run with the pre-set tune that I somehow got pretty close.  No such thing as too much power, right?  Wrong, I was hoping to cap it at 340 rear wheel hp to give it about 400hp at the flywheel.  Actual numbers at the rear wheel were 377 hp and 449 ft lbs torque.  Not bad for 258 cu. in., however, the internals are the same as the brick and I hope they stay together for a few of runs.  Tim is currently assembling the 339 stroker with all the great stuff inside.  We will let that one rip.

New valve covers with Offy breathers.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/26dbcad1-dc7a-41ca-9106-4519.jpg

The dyno sheet shows 377 hp and that translates to about 454 hp at the flywheel.  That is more than I expected.  The torque is pretty good too.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1c8bc814-1fce-4140-9ed9-4dfc.jpg
Same here Keith, however I did get to see your coupe and it is awesome. I would have stayed longer, but grandkids in Montana were waiting and I needed to get back to finish my project for the October World Finals. We will connect next year as I plan to never miss another one until I'm finished racing. I did get to see Ted before I left as he was up to his elbows with the flathead project.
Wastegate installed. It all still fits under the hood.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/efc2926b-d696-4877-9735-7457.JPG
First startup in the new race truck. This is the 258 cu. in. engine running without the turbo. Just trying to shake down all the little stuff. It is nice to know that all the wiring is hooked up correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne90bcC8FDw
Keith, yes, I'm sure looking forward to getting behind the wheel. I do plan to run this year, however, time is running out. There are only two dry lakes meets left this season, Oct 20 and Nov 9-10. I am shooting for the November event. Ironically, no rain at this time, but due to the gov. shut down and being run by the BLM, El Mo is closed. The SCTA believes that either the gov. will be back to business as usual by then or they think they can run the event through some kind of alternative plan???

Sometimes you just cannot think of everything. While looking down the side of the truck, I noticed that the exhaust on the driver's side would send gases directly into the louver vent in the mirror cavity!!! Gotta fix that.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/2cca39e5-89e8-4ac7-b3fa-c323.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/6b13481a-01ed-4e68-97ba-6f16.JPG

I think someone commented on the potential excessive heat that would be generated under the hood. I knew there would be, but WOW, even with the hood up, within five minutes of running the engine, it went straight into vapor lock!!! I was waiting to wrap the headers and merge pipes until last, but now it is time. More pictures to follow soon......
Gary, I did all I could short of a heat shield, hope it is enough. If not, the heat shield is next.

Finally finished the race truck, heading for El Mirage this weekend.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/d063bc35-dc6e-4af2-82e8-2b97.JPG

A little more heat protection.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/da781fcd-0344-4b41-bdb2-b478.JPG
Things went very well at tech inspection. All the hard work paid off and then some. I would have been allowed to run, but I had no pit crew which is a critical thing in itself and it also would have required some minor changes that I was just not willing to do at that time. It took a couple of hours to do the inspection because of it being a new car and believe me they had their magnifying glasses out. Nothing but compliments and to add to the accolades, the rules committee asked if they could take a picture to be considered for the 2014 rule book to be and example for a modified mini-pickup.

There was a continuous stream of heads under the hood looking and trying to follow all the tubing, hoses and wiring. More than once the question was asked, "Is that a chevy with Y-Block valve covers?" I just smiled and said, nope, it's the real deal.

Most every one remembered the "Brick" and of course they were very familiar with Tim's Uni. A number of Bonneville regulars also commented on Keith's coupe.

This is the "bail-out" required test during tech. Tim McMaster picture.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/b50a5dfb-5174-4fad-bfd0-56c7.jpg
Good eye Frank, that carb on the engine has vacuum secondaries but was used for run-in purposes. Carb selection was just another learning curve that I had to get over. The carb for the turbo is a SS-650-BAN Quick Fuel blow thru unit. I talked to Rich at RDRacing and then with tech support at Quick Fuel and they both agreed that this was the carb given my application, size of engine and range of hp. Rich sent me the unit and has been very helpful in setting it up.

Last of the piping with Quick Fuel carb

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/d381fdfa-ff4a-46fd-9ca4-298d.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/1fe7d3da-4102-48db-b4cf-2686.JPG

Just for fun........

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/34a84e19-3e88-4941-879c-1fae.JPG
No such thing as too much power!!! However, as many may know, it is not just the equipment, it is mainly in the tune. Too fat, no power, too lean, burn everything up. Too little advance, no power, too far advanced, detonation will destroy everything. Too much heat in the charge, low power and asking for detonation again. I'm starting with primary jets at 74 and secondaries at 84. Timing will start at 20* all in. The water-to -air intercooler with ice water and another heat exchanger to cool the water a little before returning to the tank is my best effort to cool the charge. The waste gate is set at 5psi to start, but I have a manual controller to take it a little higher. Something tells me 10 psi boost is all this little engine with off the shelf parts can take. I'm trying to cover all the bases, but this will be a learning curve to deal with.
Here is the outside shell for the Y-Block.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/cb2b680f-733c-4541-931a-2367.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/c2e4d5f7-9577-4367-b195-a280.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/e3649b9e-3294-49ad-9362-754d.JPG
Thanks for the comments guys, but I have decided to leave the grille alone. I don't want anyone thinking this is some kinda unknown Ranger or Mazda and especially not a Chevy. I think the message will be clear with the decals in place.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/7d8be6f2-e0f1-4f9d-ad01-6ba0.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/fe3e517e-648b-45fc-ac92-c084.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/5a2199ba-cb92-4c0d-87c3-fbfa.JPG
Gary, the Brick is patiently waiting in storage. It will be at least a year before time opens up to take on another project. I do plan on doing some chassis dyno runs. I was going to create a baseline with the engine running non turbo, but time is too short. I will probably run it on the street non turbo just enough to see if all the nuts and bolts hold together. Then I will re-install the turbo set up for any dyno testing.
Now that makes me smile Smile
Thanks Keith, I plan to be at Speed Week (without the truck). Looking forward to seeing the coupe.

The cam is relatively mild with 220* duration at .050 lift. The total lift is .550 and the lobe separation is 114*.

The headers send the exhaust upwards and forward.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/4a80c31f-60a0-470a-a0f5-a3be.JPG

Long block assembled

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/2ee1be18-51b9-455d-bf5d-3816.JPG

258 in the run-in stand

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/15b3339e-b003-4148-8adb-85e1.JPG
Cylinders relieved. New TRW lifters from Ted Eaton. Blue Thunder intake, head and main studs, tubular push rods along with a new true roller timing chain from John Mummert. Rockers are 1.54 ratio that have been lightened together with a restricted oil passage and a pressurized rocker shaft.

lightened 1.54 ratio rockers

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/82386e51-b98e-4b4f-9c17-e420.JPG

lighter adjusters

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/36c804a6-5521-41eb-b662-1f36.JPG

258 now in place

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/e661d0c9-b490-4294-8047-2c3b.jpg
The 258 cu. in. comes from a destroked 239 crank, Ch***y 6 cyl rods, and Ford Taurus 4 cyl .030 over pistons. The new bore and stroke is 3.71 x 2.99.

Running normally aspirated was such a piece of cake compared to turbocharging. I have read the books, followed forums including Finlands finest Hollow Heads and Hutz 292 , talked to experts like Reed Patridge, and discussed cam profiles with cam grinders. Man, can I talk the language. However, I have ZERO experience. We will see how it goes.

Positioning intercoolers and piping is such a challenge while trying to keep everything under the hood of a small engine compartment (without a scoop). Locating the turbo gives you another challenge in order for intake air, exhaust, and compressor discharge to be aimed in the right directions.

The radiator seperates the intercooler and the post intercooler heat exchanger.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/802cf098-5968-4b3d-b110-6c57.JPG

Placement of the T-4 mounting flange gave me direct discharge of the turbo into the intercooler.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/1cb5a82e-162e-478e-a5cd-7925.JPG

Better view

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a5aa2b7f-d6f4-44fd-b8e0-3eb5.JPG
Thanks, guys, Corene and I hope to travel east for Columbus, Ohio Mile and Loring in the not too distant future. It would be great to see you all as well.

Gary, you are so right about the dreaming, although it is mostly day dreaming. It makes it easier to build things when I do it first in my head, I have changed things so many times while in the thinking process and it has saved me a great deal of effort.

Bouncing ahead in this thread, I have finished the turbo fitting and piping, and yes the hood does close. The thing that was so difficult was to engineer the placement of parts to allow maintenance of plugs, oil changes, dizzy, timing mark, and enough room to get wrenches in all the tight places to install and tear down each component.

Starting the exhaust merge pipes.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/d2d34526-9c94-495c-8c16-6101.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/4934e624-bb87-4203-8729-1e23.JPG
Thanks, Bill, but it gets worse...............

Continuing the merge.

T-4 turbo flange with merge

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a8397fae-fad7-466d-9e65-706d.JPG

and from the other side

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a5d40234-29f2-4a0e-8964-4286.JPG

A little more pipe

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/bcbb3404-c9a3-4045-8616-b9c1.JPG
Well, Frank (man with many hats), I guess we'll just have to come see you! Hopefully next summer. Yes, it is a lot of work, but it is fun to stand back and look at all the progress.

Finished merge pipes.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a7058969-0770-4582-a41f-49e3.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/14f123f0-8a4c-4091-9047-bc76.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/8f753bc0-e790-40cf-b3a9-af76.JPG
By 57FordPU - 12 Years Ago
Doors, side windows and windshield installed. Aluminum covers for the mirror cavities.

Photobucket">

Rear roll cage braces painted.

Photobucket">
Thanks Frank, that is a nice compliment.

Due to the front air bag suspension, outboard shocks are now fabed.

Photobucket">

JD, my idea of a cabin pressure/fresh air vent was a snorkel in the roof and aimed at the driver. It is just under an inch in id. Originally I thought it would be plenty as it should displace the volume of air in the cab at least once in the three mile run at 150 mph. Over the last few months, I have been wrestling with the thought it should be bigger. When I was covering the mirror cavities I was wondering how much drag some scoops would be in that position.

Photobucket">

The rear window is now covered.

Photobucket">

Speed Week 2013 at Bonneville will not happen this year. I am so close, but just not ready. Plan B is to attend either September World of Speed or October World Finals. Speed Week gets all the hype, but the other two meets are just as important.

I thought I'd give a quick update on the build, so I will post most every day. The Y-Block will be very interesting.

Additional cabin air intake

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/c04fae7a-fa9e-4beb-bdf6-6e3e.JPG

Drawer pull from Lowe's

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/c85ef723-41a3-4a7d-9ce3-27f3.JPG

Parachute, emergency power disconnect and push bar (roller)

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/3b97aa53-9dd8-4627-8c68-af15.JPG
This is the last of the truck build, the Y-Block is next.

Battery, fuel cell, pre filter, fuel pump and intercooler ice tank.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/be085add-7099-4563-81c4-4c37.JPG

Fans and post intercooler heat exchanger (hard to see, bottom half of fans)

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/21ab7e8c-7cd2-4c96-9ab8-8218.JPG

Exhaust bezel

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/9a2cb813-a941-4be9-b69d-b7d8.JPG
Thanks Frank, when are you delivering to our area again?

Finally we get to the engine. The first class to enter is E/BMMP. E is for the engine size and it has to be between 183 and 260 cu. in. B is for blown (in this case turbocharged). The first M is for Modified which means it is running an engine that wasn't available from the factory for this truck. The second M and the P are for mini-pickup. (E/blown modified mini pickup) The next Y-Block is already off the drawing board and will be a stroker 339 cu. in. turbocharged C motor (306 to 373 cu. in.). That will be a C/BMMP. I was hoping to run that engine this year as well, but time is running short. All the engine machining, porting, and short block assembly is of course by Tim McMaster...........Thanks Tim.

258 cu. in. block and knife edged crank.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/73b487d2-74e4-45ca-8e5f-26a0.JPG

Pistons and rods ready to install.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/c48d3696-a314-49cc-8770-1e87.jpg

471 heads machined and ported.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/44746f39-290c-418e-bbc4-e213.JPG
Hey, Dennis. We use Goodyear Front Runners on both front and back and they are easily available from Jegs and Summit. I use 29" dia. in the rear and 25" dia. in the front. I have seen cars capable of 225 mph pass tech with these tires. They are very light and have very little tread.

The largest group of users are the drag race cars. Obviously they use slicks in the rear and hence the term Front Runners.
Thanks Dennis, I see the Pinto won again and against Harry. Did you dazzle 'em for a few rounds with a consistent ET and a great RT?
Dennis, congrats on your personal best, that had to be very exciting. You are very consistent and usually have great RTs, they can't keep you down forever.

Royce, it is looking dim for the October 3rd salt run. The deadline for the $425 entry fee is 9/22 with no refund except in person at Windover. The fee is $625 at the gate. I am close, but I just cannot afford to gamble at this time. However, I have every intention to run in either the October 21 or the November 10 & 11 El Mirage events. If the stars line up just right, I will be at the September 15 El Mirage race for a pre inspection even though the truck will not be ready to run that day.
Interior finished.

Photobucket">

Photobucket">
Keith, how I wish, but it looks like El Mirage is the only race I will be able to make this year. I know however that I will be at Bonneville next August. You coming back?

Bed cover finished.

Photobucket">

Hi, Billy

No, what you see is all there is. It is intentional and it would be hard for me to abandon the design as it came from a reputable source.

In 2009, while at the SEMA show in Las Vegas, I met Gale Banks in the lobby of our hotel. I struck up a conversation with him and asked about his GMC pickup Sonoma pickup that had previously gone over 200 mph. I specifically asked about the bed cover and why it was only partially covered. He told me that he had used wind tunnel testing to calculate coefficient of drag using different bed cover lengths. His best cd came from only covering the last 2/3 of the bed. He said the deeper and wider area for the circular low pressure area allowed the air stream to make a gradual downward slope to the end of the truck. I didn't understand half of it, but the 2/3 bed cover stuck pretty good. At the time I was running the "brick" and we talked about having a bed cover of perhaps 1/2 the length of the bed due to the taller cab.
Tim, I wished I could be there too. However, I need to do everything I can to get this project finished this racing season. Good luck to you and Keith, go fast, be safe, and call me after every round.

Chuck, I have a small chance (read that very small) to finish by the Bonneville World of Speed that starts Sept 8th. I have a good chance to make the World finals starting Oct 3rd. Speed Week is the Big Go, but September or October would suite me just fine.

El Mirage Dry Lakes is another possibility Sept 16, Oct 21, and Nov 10 & 11.
All interior fabrication done and paint applied.

Had to cover the moon roof hole.  Friend Rick who welded the cage also fabed up the cover.  Thanks Rick.

You're right Gary. I often think it would be great to drive a roadster at Bonneville (perhaps a no top 57 T-Bird). Having the bright, hot sun beating down on you would be one thing, but the rush of air buffeting your helmet would be quite the experience.
Arm and leg restraints.

Photobucket">
No 50 Shades remarks.
I would really like to be there.  I haven't missed Speed Week for a number of years.  It would be great to see you and Tim pound out new personal bests, but I need to work on the race truck every chance I get in order to make it to the October meet.
The side switch panel is necessary in this truck because of the seat set back.  With arm restraints, it would be impossible to reach the dash area.  It will house all toggle switches, starter button, both firebottle push cables and the master 12 volt switch.

Front

The pressure management system will allow me to set the air bags to different heights.  It will help me in loading/unloading from the trailer, get a floor jack under the front crossmember, and set race ride height.

The long road from the battery to the starter.

Power starts at the safety switch in the bed and is sent into the cab through a bulkhead.

The end of the first cable terminates at the master power switch next to the side switch panel.

Then the power is sent to the starter solenoid and passed through the firewall with a cable bulkhead.

Finally, the cable is sent from the firewall side of the bulkhead to the starter.

By using (0) or (1) size cable, very little power is lost over the long system.

Thanks Keith, my questions on your link was an attempt to make sure I haven't overlooked anything.

The tach and shift light are inline with the track and the supporting gauges are all in an array and visible over the steering wheel.

Now all the interior parts are fabed up and can be removed to finish welding the entire cage including door bars. Interior paint will follow and then reassymble it all again to wire it up.
Major step forward yesterday.  All interior parts were removed to finish welding the entire roll cage.  Young friend, former student of mine, and professional race car chassis welder Rick Bray volunteered to well up the roll cage for me and what a treat it was.

Door and shoulder bars were added.

Sample of finish welds.

More samples.

Rick needed to be a contortionist all day to get the job done.

Many thanks Rick....

Throttle in cab.

Throttle under hood.

Fun to finally work on something related to the engine.

Sounds like good stuff..........but this is all I had around here on the farm.BigGrin
Roll cage extension under hood.  Now it is an 8 point cage.

It is finally looking like a race car.  The roll cage door bars and body doors will stay off until most of the interior work is done.

Aluminum covers for the instrument panel, glove box, and speakers.  The new framework is for a switch panel on the right side of the steering wheel which will also contain the fire bottle push pins.

Frank, where should I put the radio?

Gotta lose the drag race thinking with this truck.  I will probably end up with over 400 lbs of ballast before it's over.  The "Brick" had only 200 lbs of tractor weights under the bed, but at those lower speeds more wasn't necessary.
Engine compartment heat buildup would certainly be a problem if left as is.  I have purchased 100' of heat wrap for the headers and I will check to see if more attention is needed.  Heat shields would be the next step.  Intake air will come from a hood scoop.
Thanks for the comment Gary.  I am not hampered by experience!

Frank, you are correct with my intentions of getting the air from the base of the windshield.  It will be another outside of the box solution, thanks to you and another friend Cliff Williamson.  I'll post it as soon as it's fabed.

By the way, when are you coming back for dinner?

Side tracked with a front suspension change.

Air bags and 2" drop spindles.

Lower air bag mounting bracket.

Upper spring pocket enlarged to accept larger diameter air bags.

Finished edges and welded seams.

Air bags installed.

2" drop spindles.

Highest position.

Lowest position.

Hi, Chuck, yeah, it is low and surprisingly nothing rubs or drags the ground. 

Hi, Frank.  It is the same yellow as the 57 F-100.  No one will want this "through away" after the salt gets through with it.

Yeah, Chuck, some racers only get about 6 or 7 trips to the salt before they need to do major repairs, especially the frame.  Some pockets in a boxed frame just seem impossible to remove all of the salt.  I've talked about using pressure washers, rainbird sprinklers (for hours) and still had clumps of salt fall out months later.

You got that right Frank, easy come, easy go.

1-1/8" front sway bar.  (need to fab one for the rear)

Proportioning valve and brake lines ran to bulkheads on the firewall.

Seppo, I keep moving the expected date back as each month rolls by.  I have told Tim that I will not make it to Bonneville for Speedweek, but I sure hope to make it in October for World Finals.  I will take it to El Mirage in September if finished by then and if not then in November after Bonneville.
If you look closely, the new firewall is another wheelbarrow.  I found a new one at Lowe's with a broken handle and made the manager an offer he couldn't refuse.
Thanks for the input JD.  Can you tell us a little about the car that put you in the "2 club"?  Are you still an active tech inspector?

Progress continues with new master cylinders, swing pedals, and steering.  The Coleman swing pedals were donated by a former student of mine who now does round track racing (thanks Alan).

More steering.  I had to watch for header clearance and access to changing the #8 spark plug.

Seat mounted.

Thanks for the story, very interesting stuff.  The 56 looks great too!  I have been keeping (Kiwi) Steve Davies in the loop with this build and he has given me great feedback.  Hope to see you at El Mo and Bonneville this year.
Bill, I need to stir up some emotions from time to time in order to keep me motivated.  Nothing like a blower on top of anything to get the juices flowing.  Initial shake down runs at El Mirage will be naturally aspirated just to make sure the wheels don't fall off and to get my category "D" (125 to 149 mph) driver's license.  If all goes well there will be a turbo (or turbo's) later at Bonneville.

Headers have been fabed for some time, but finally finished welding all seams.

Exhaust will exit ahead of the front wheels.

Now that makes me smile.  Convenience is only one reason to exit in front of the tires (it is nice to not have to deal with crossmembers, starters and steering).  Also there is a low pressure area that builds just behind the front bumper.  By running the exhaust into that area, it reduces the low pressure and therefore creates less drag.
Exhaust is finished and has room due to engine set back.

Charlie,  I do like the alternative turbo location idea.  When I ran the exhaust up out of the bed behind the cab in the brick, I had visions of running a turbo there.  And like Seppo said, there are lots of locations to put an intercooler.  I have seen street Corvettes with turbos at the rear of the car and the claim is there is little loss of performance due to the remote location.  With the engine set back that is allowed, I believe I have plenty of room in front of the motor.

The constant temp issue is important.  I believe I will have to run a remote reservoir with a thermostat in line.  The remote tank will help fill the block due to the low water tank and the thermostat will help to heat up the engine.  Hopefully it will also restrict the flow enough to keep it hot during the runs. 

Nothing exciting, just a little more progress.

Bed cover frame.

Fuel cell and battery mounted.

Rear braces for the roll cage main hoop.

Seppo, I don't want to drag a GM product under everyone's nose, so I will wait until the body is finished and I will give you at least one look.

I needed to double the firewall thickness.  The rules say it needs to be at least .060" thick and I only made it .045".  Somehow I thought it didn't make any difference since the stock firewall was only .030" thick, but I just didn't want to run a chance in having tech reject it.

I wish I had grey hair, heck, I wish I had any hair!
Start roll cage installation.

Now you're talkin'.........That gives me something to work with. w00t 

Converting the stock gas tank into a water reservoir for engine cooling.

All pickup classes require a radiator in their original location, but not required to be used.  The gas tank will be mounted in it's original location and be the only source of water for engine cooling.
Good thoughts Charlie.  The rule book says that the radiator must be the same size as the original (or larger).  Also there is to be no blocking of air flow allowed before or after the radiator.  Guys used to try to get by the blocked radiator rule by blocking behind the radiator, but no longer.
Gary, you are exactly right about putting the weight lower and back farther.  Consensus is equal side to side of course and 52% front axle and 48% back.  However, a current record holder at over 200 mph with one of these bodies actually likes more weight on the rear axle?  I'll get it figured out.  As you can imagine, with the driver and the tank on the same side, it will take considerable ballast on the passenger side and strategically located.  

Yes you can and I like the reasoning of directing the air from the grille and radiator area to the air intake, but I haven't completely decided on the type or location of the induction system and it may be best to take air from a forward facing scoop or the base of the windshield.

By the way, I just got turned down by the tech committee to substitute the intercooler for the stock radiator.  Sounded reasonable to me, but nope. 

Gary,  My original thought was to cut the heart out of the original radiator core and place the intercooler in it.  They said no.  The stock radiator is very wide and will have difficulty getting charge and cooling lines around it.  Then I wanted to put holes in the radiator core just large enough to run the lines through and they said no.    Pickup classes have no altered or competition coupe type rules that allow such modifications, they want most of the pickup to look original.
Thanks Grovedawg, it was great meeting you too.  It is always nice to put a face together with people on the forum.  Not as much progress on the race truck as I would like, but a little.

Check fitting the cab with the 6" wide scatter shield.

finishing up the new crossmember to mount the ears of the stock truck bell.  I wished there was a part available for things like this, but it's all made from scratch.  I try to make things removable to give more clearance while removing the engine and trans in one piece.

Driver side

Passenger side

Changing to a stock pickup bell for the T-5 means creating a new clutch release bearing.

Scatter shield now doubled, finished welding and trimmed to clear the firewall.

Thanks Gary and Bud.  I keep trying to remind myself that it's the journey, but I still long for the destination.

Putting sheet metal around the Y-Block.

Is that all you guys got?  I need help developing a thicker skin to face the jaw dropping GM lovers at the track.

Besides, I like Go Mr. Charlie.

The floor and driveshaft tunnel are finally finished.

Same with the transmission cover and recessed firewall.

Thanks Charlie, you nailed it, when you live on the farm, you use what you got.

Here are the donors.

Doug, thanks for the comment.  Panhard technology is very comprehensive and specific to dirt or asphalt.  I lay no claim to knowledge of circle track suspension setups, but I've tried to follow the dirt track applications.

First off, utilizing a panhard bar with leaf springs is very uncommon in closed course race cars.  But, here I am trying to fuse everything together for a system that suites me.  Dirt cars usually have center mounted panhard bars with a 20" minimum length (mine is 21") to affect the roll equally left and right.  Attaching the panhard bar to either end of the axle affects the roll mostly in the direction of attachment.  Next the axle mount being lower than the frame mount lowers the roll center keeping it to a 2" maximum difference (mine is 1 1/2").  The effects of all this is minimized due to the fact that I will only have about 1" of suspension travel.

Having said all that, most people say that it takes lots of trial and error to fine tune the panhard bar setup, and that's too bad because all I can do is hope that the first trial is not an error.

(Now I need to get up to speed with anti-sway bar setups)

With the firewall finished, it is off to the paint shop with the cab.  All other parts to the truck are painted.

The composite leaf would be great, but if I had the time and funds I would use a 4 link with air bags.

Bill, I have a smile on my face right now just thinking about it.
Seppo, sometimes it takes me a while for concepts to sink in.  It finally dawned on me that your comment about the "helmet" was the hanging light fixtureHehe.

I had great plans to use the Y-Block Quick Time bell, but have decided to abandon it for now.  I have a good idea of how to modify it to use a Y-Block flywheel and starter, perhaps next year.   Tim set me up with a T-5 adaption to a stock truck bell.  He also modified the throwout bearing to match up the truck clutch arm with a diaphragm clutch type bearing.  I am using the metal on top of the scatter shield to double the width.  Tech has passed me with the 3" band, but with greater speeds expected, they will want more.

It is such a blessing to have a friend like Tim.  If it wasn't for him I would just be a spectator.

Seppo, I like your explanation as a reason for the long wheel studs.  I learn something new everyday.

Hey Mark, my reason for using them (and Tim as well), is that 1" lug nuts fully engaged on the studs (with threads left over) are required for classes over 200 mph (and I plan to go there).

No problem Bernt.

Here are the clamped leaf springs that really stiffened up the rear suspension.

No "C" notches required, just fabricated axle bumpers from the stock units.

Mark,

Thanks for the comment, I welcome them all.  I'm just trying to share what's needed to be able to compete and go straight.  The long studs are but one of a "long as your arm" list of safety requirements.

Pinion mount panhard bar.

Gary,

That's a good question, it wouldn't seem like one would be needed to go in a straight line.  Drag racers use them all the time because of rear axle "walk" during launches and shifts and road racers need them for cornering.

I've done my best with the rear springs to maintain stability by making them stiffer and installing new bushings.  Even with that there is some side play and just a little creates some "rear steer" that increases with speed.  The main problem would be in a spin.  You want that chassis to be stable and stay as flat as possible. 

Although I have never actually spun, I did do a bit of driving while looking out the driver side window at El Mirage in 2009.  While I don't talk about spins much, I think about them quite often and how to deal with it.  A compass to get back on course wouldn't be necessary because immediately after straightening up I would head straight back to the pits to change my cloths.
Thanks Dennis, you guys are automatics, as long as you will have us.
Billy, if it comes to pass and you are not off some place saving the world, we would have a great time. 

I just read where Maxton will probably not get it's lease renewed.  That would be a shame, it was developing it's own reputation in the East and was showing increased participation and speeds.

More work on the floor and a drive shaft loop.

Flooring work is new to me.  Progress is slow and time is precious, I work on the new race truck as much as possible, but more important priorities take precedent (darn all nine grand kids, my wife, myself, our parents, friends, the garden, etc.)

Back on the rear axle with the new alloy axles, long wheel studs and brakes installed.

Thanks Chris, you know I will be there eventually.

Bernt, you are welcome here anytime.  It was a pleasure to meet you and your family.  I enjoyed talking to your son and finding out he was a gear head, even if he has a rice rocket.  We especially enjoyed finding out about Sweden's politics, weather, and day to day life.  When you said you had to chuckle when you only had to pay $4 per gallon for gas for that big LTD rental car, remember that if you took a trip at home like you did here in California, you would have had to show your passport at least 4 times!!!  It might not be to bad to pay close to $8 when you don't have far to drive.

Adapting the GMC Sonoma shock mounts to the Ford 9" u-bolt brackets.

Engine setback allowance makes a huge hole in the firewall.

Once I started on the floor, I just couldn't seem to stop!

More cutting................

Here is your radio Frank..........

Time to start filling in the big holes..........

Floor should go fast.

Thanks Todd,  a little break from the floor to set up the rear axle.  The driveline angles will help determine the tunnel dimensions.

UPS brought a nice surprise.  The alloy axles, studs and bearing retainers are from Strange.  The narrowed 9" housing and pumpkin setup are performed by Speed Frame Engineering in Farmersville, CA who sponsor me (thanks Al).

More new parts to finish the rear axle installation.  Pinion mount panhard bar bracket, new U-bolts.  Also a firewall mount heim for the steering.

Thanks Billy, I would have liked to run there too.  I have talked to a few fellow racers that ran there and they said it was the smoothest track they have ever been on.  It also would have been fun to set a record there with a Y-Block for others to shoot at.

Their meets are in July and another big swing back east like we did in 2008 would be great.  We could do Maxton in June, Loring in July, Columbus in early September and make the October Bonneville meet.

Corene and I spent 70 days in that 8' camper on the first trip.  We stayed with friends and relatives from time to time, but 58 nights were spent in the camper and we did quite well.  Do I think she would put up with 140 days on the road?  We would have to hit up every friend, acquaintance and relative for lodging to survive that. 

Up till now it has been mostly tearing down, collecting parts, and trial fitting.  Now the building actually starts.  Here are a few shots of the roll cage outriggers.

Driver's side front

Driver's side front finished.  You can't see the bottom plate closing the outrigger.

Driver's side rear

Yes, it went right through the middle body mounts.  I left them for added strength.  Not to worry, there are still four body mounts left.  Again, you can't see the bottom enclosing plate.

Next, it will be interesting trying to stay within the rules and set the engine back as far as possible, a new firewall will have to be built.

Thanks grovedawg.

Now that the outriggers are done, I needed to get some paint on the rolling chassis.

With 123" wheel base, I hope to get a stable ride.

9" rear axle in the background is off to be narrowed and have some alloy 31 spline axles installed.

Not sure yet if I will need dropped spindles.

Thanks Glen.  Wow, you could never start a race car any cheaper than that.  The cab is wider in the shoulder area than at the floor and most cages I have seen follow that contour.  However, for that price I would cut the replacement cab right down the middle and put it back together again over the cage.  Should be easier than a chop top on a 50 Merc!
Engine and trans mounts are not quite finished yet, but I thought I'd show some progress pictures.  I still have to fab up a bellhousing mount.  It will be a quazi motor plate.  With three sets of mounts, I didn't think it needed to be a full plate.

Nice Charlie, it took me a couple of hours to figure out your comment.  I guess I just forgot the "moto".

Bill, you and me both.  That will be at least another $1500 expense when added to the new requirement of a Hans device. 

Thanks Todd, hope you are feeling better.

Seppo, yes, most suppliers will attach the clips to my helmet.  Lots of racers are upset about the rule because there is no wall to hit and feel like it is just another unnecessary expense.  Quite a few have spun, but very few have had a catastrophic accident.  However, I bet someone who survives a horrible crash in the future will swear by them.  

By mctim64 - 13 Years Ago
The new helmet that Kathy got me for Christmas has the place for attachment already there, the prices are coming down too. Wink  No big deal, it just looks a little uncomfortable.
57FordPU (7/7/2011)
It is such a blessing to have a friend like Tim.  If it wasn't for him I would just be a spectator.

Likewise Charlie!  I never would be doing this if it hadn't been for you.  You can ask Kathy if that is a blessing or not. Tongue

(you know Kathy enjoys this almost as much as I do. Wink )

Looks good Charlie!  Glad to see you getting back to work, there is some racing to do next summer. Wink
So that's how you are gonna do it.  Looks good.
By mctim64 - 12 Years Ago
Charlie is always playing with new ideas.  I just sent off my Bonneville Reg. fee! Wink
Great story!  Thanks for sharing.  Smile

bla bla

By mctim64 - 11 Years Ago
Looks real good Charlie! First time I've seen it all together and outside. Cool!
By mctim64 - 11 Years Ago
I want to hear it run! Anyone else? BigGrin
By mctim64 - 10 Years Ago
Good job Charlie! Nice to see they put Brian G's Honda on the cover since it is no more. Wink
Looking good Charlie!  Wish you could be going with us next week.
Looking good Charlie!  You're gonna make it. Smile
Dennis, a personal best is always a good thing.  I'm still quite a few MPH from a record in my truck but I go faster each time.  Personal best is the only award I get. Wink
Charlie's right!  I had a full cover on Jake although we had talked about this. It's not that I didn't believe Charlie but I just liked the way it looked with a full cover.  At El Mirage in May I was just over the 130 mph mark and though I'd give it a try so we took the front part of the cover off for the next run and went 132.  No other changes.
Neat stuff!  liked all the pix!  any at speed? BigGrin
Who needs a rear window?  Always going forward!  Wink
By BIGREDTODD - 14 Years Ago
Hopefully everyone will look past certain characteristics, and just enjoy another kick-ass truck Charlie...and, it looks as if we are going to have to start a thread on the Unibody here, too BigGrin
By BIGREDTODD - 13 Years Ago
You sure make quick work of a cleaned frame Charlie...

I've been considering sneaking a gantry lift into my garage for pulling bodies, but I think Corinne might not see the practicality.Crazy

Looking great Charlie!
I like the floor bracing that ties to the transmission X-member.

Firewall is going to look great with the tunnel finished off...that's a very impressive undertaking that's unfolding beautifully.

I'd say you're showing it who's boss, Charlie...

Nice work transitioning the factory floor contours to the flat floor skeleton...and I love how you re-purpose things to achieve the shapes you need, very clever.

By ecode ragtop - 13 Years Ago
        since the great bail out, it stands for Goverment Motors Company !!!!
By Fordy Guy - 13 Years Ago
Just call it good old American ingenuity!
By Fordy Guy - 13 Years Ago
Gotta Mechanic Comin' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By dullchrome - 13 Years Ago
Nice work Charlie..as always.  Cant wait to see it our at the track.

Chris

By 57 ranchwagon - 13 Years Ago
Hi Charlie the truck is looking good. I have been fighting with the install of a quicktime bellhousing on my car finally got it sorted this week. I had to rebuy a new flywheel and there were pretty extensive mods to the block and starter definetly not a bolt on kit as it was sold to me. Quicktime was really helpful prompt with advise and tech support, unfortunately the people who sold it to me use a in house flywheel manufacture and they leave a lot to be desired. I ordered the new wheel from the people quicktime recommend and it looks like its going to work.
By John Mummert - 8 Years Ago
Nice job Charlie and crew. The hard work pays off.
By NoShortcuts - 5 Years Ago
WoW!  They look bigger to me!   :rolleyes

By 569104 - 13 Years Ago
Charlie,

Sound like good clean fun to me.  I have no doubt you will reach your goal.  Thanks for sharing.

I too have always wanted to put a Ford in a scrub... A nice Ford blue big block in one of their flagship cars (camaro or a vette) and enter it in all the car shows.  My way of getting back for all the classic Fords defaced with a scrub engine!

By grovedawg - 13 Years Ago
I'm sad to see the brick retired. But also very excited to watch this build. Good luck Charlie!
Hey Charlie. Just wanted to pop over and say how nice it was to finally meet you in Bonneville this year. Any progress on you truck?
It's too bad you have to cover such a gorgeous motor with that crapy GMC sheetmetal... w00tBigGrin Looking good!
By Grizzly - 13 Years Ago
Guy's,

It's not just racing that is seeing the introduction of Hans devices look at page 70-71 in the BMW motorcycle riders accessories http://www.motorcycles.bmw.com.au/common_content/motorcycles/assorted_content/accessories/new/AU/rider_equipment_2010_EAL_AU.PDF. Mind you I think you can even get BMW undies BigGrin BMW have every conceivable accessory.

That may give you an option of not attaching your helmet. I'm guessing that there may be some room for interpretation until compulsory racing recognized hans devices are required??

How long until this sort of device is mandatory for road going vehicles?

Cheers

Warren Adams

By Grizzly - 13 Years Ago
Charlie,

With some work you could change the "G" or the "C" to an "F". That'd get some looks.

Cheers

Warren

By nonne_56 - 13 Years Ago
Charlie

Thank's for your great hospitality from me and my family. It's really nice to follow your project when we have seen it in live.

Good luck and hope to see you again and best regards to your wife.

Tomorrow i leave for Australia for 2 weeks of work, hope to find something y-block related " down under" to help me survive.

Thank's Bill and sorry Charlie for hijacking your thread a little bit but i am sure you understand and forgive.

I dont know where i will be in Sidney, i will visit a lot of dairies around there.

Thanks for the tip, i will google and see what i can find.

aussiebill (5/20/2011)
nonne_56 (5/19/2011)

Bill

There is something on Liverpool Catholic Club on Sunday, do you know if it worth a visit.

Funny, my Aussie colleque knows Pinky, it,a small world..

By landspeedy - 12 Years Ago
Your truck looks great Charlie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I read on hear it wont be ready for speedweek,but are you going to be there?

Hope to see you there.

Keith Cornell

Looks good Charlie,very clean.

Good luck in October.

Keith

Looks pretty serious Charlie.

So your plans are for World Final's in October?

Best of luck to you.

Keith

57FordPU (9/13/2012)
Keith, how I wish, but it looks like El Mirage is the only race I will be able to make this year. I know however that I will be at Bonneville next August. You coming back?

Bed cover finished.

Photobucket">

Good luck @ El Mirage.

Yes I will be back.

We have a few more tricks for some speed................

By landspeedy - 11 Years Ago
Looks really good Charlie.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Keith Cornell
Charlie,

Sorry I missed you @ speedweek.

Your race truck looks very impressive,& should really put down some great speeds.

Good luck,& go FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith
Not only do I want to hear it,I want to see it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Charlie,

Sounds great.

I would bet you are pretty excited about getting behind the wheel.

With the last couple of rain outs, are you still looking to run this year?
Charlie,

Your truck looks great.

Have fun @ Elmirage,& go FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By The Master Cylinder - 11 Years Ago
57FordPU (11/15/2013)
Sometimes you just get a little lucky.

A little luck and a lot of knowledge and meticulous preparation... Good Job!!!
By The Master Cylinder - 11 Years Ago
One of these days I'm going to have to get out there and watch you guys in action...

Hey, if one of the Mod's is reading this I get the Yellow Error page when I try to edit my post. Also the icons for adding a link or picture are missing.
By cos - 5 Years Ago
Hello  I may have overlooked your new engine specs. Can you tell us about it, or point me that way ?Thanks Bill  Oregon
By cos - 5 Years Ago
Hello Carlie  Thanks for reply.  To get stroke you have from a 292 crank you must have offset ground crank for Hon. size rod bearings or welded crank,right? Which rods and lenght did you use? Your pistons are custom, what wrist pin diameter and comp. height did you end up with? I have many questions, I will send e-mail if ok? Bill  Oregon
By DryLakesRacer - 12 Years Ago
Charlie everything you've done looks great. I constructed a scattershield like yours in 1975 for my GMC over the stock bellhousing in in the 2nd year of running I had to add down panels to the back of it. I don't know if any inspector will need to have you do that. Their fear at that time was the clutch coming back thru the bell housing and thru my metal floor. I used 3 pieces of 1/4" plate; rectangle in the middle and a triangular piece on each side. It was long before I became a SCTA inspector.

Check the rule book again on the metal thickness of the firewall. My recollection was .060" for aluminum and steel was not mentioned. I could be wrong on that as I don't have a rule book with me. My original race car had a .050" and I added a second one directly behind it because it was aluminum...Good luck

PS: I think showing your build here shows how much goes into a LSR vehicle. It's not for the feint-of-heart or those who need to pay for everything to be done..........JD

Looked at my book .060" is required. Guess I just live in the past............Good Luck
Charlie. I'll try to do a condensed version. I started at El Mirage in 1975 with a 40 Chevy coupe I ran with a 270 GMC. It quickly became a 302 in 1976 and set a record at Bonneville at 144.1 on gas. Stock head carbureted. (still have the car) In 1981 I bought a 32 Austin American Roadster and after rebuilding set a record of 162.9 in 1985 with the same engine. It was a VERY controversial roadster in a tough crowd.

After many years my son wanted to drive 200. I remembered Joe Fontana had gone over 200 in a 53 Studebaker in 1985 with a 12 port GMC on fuel. We teamed up in 1997 and after 5 years my son reach the goal and set a record of 202+ in 2002. He was 34 years old. It was not easy. Every year on the salt we fixed something, many would have given up. In 2003 I got back in the car and bumped his record to 210.9. I had broken the trans in 1st gear as I left the trailer. We removed the broken cluster and I did both runs in high gear only.  I was 59.

The engine is a 321 in 1952 GMC with a Skinner 12 port cylinder head. Skinner injectors with a Hiborn pump and Enderle nozzles. A Howard roller cam, A Joe Hunt 5 Amp magneto and 78% nitro in the tank.

I have since gone back to my gas GMC stock and made a pass at 171 setting the record for that class at 168.

I'm on the Y-Block site because I recently aquired a 56 Victoria. I'm rekindling my high school daze when I got to use my moms black 56 Vic on dates in '60 and '61. This one is not black and is totally restored. Can't keep my hands off anything so I've already replaced the Holley teapot with a 53 Caddy WCFB and the Loadmatic laid waste to a 57-62 Dizzy. Had to cut up an E-Bay bought stock air cleaner to hid the WCFB.

I'll try to post pics of both...I still inspect but normally now on the QT. Steve Davies likes to keep me involved and in the loop since I did it for 30 years.

Once again good luck

Moroso, Firestone, and M & H frontrunner tires have been used succesfully in LSR as well a Dunlop Vintage Racing tyres which are up to 32" in diameter. M & H diameters are as little as 22" and have run near 300. ZR "street tires" are good to 200 and I've run Michilen HR "Highway patrol" tires in the past to 170 when it was allowed. Under 200 today tires are not too much of a problem but 350 to 400 they are a big one..............JD
By DryLakesRacer - 4 Years Ago
Charlie I was concerned when I read your reference to a cast flywheel. They have not been allowed for at least 25 by the SCTA rule book. I have witnessed cars running them and the damage done when they let go. They too were very old. I’m glad you are using a steel one now. Good luck and I love your truck.
By DryLakesRacer - 4 Years Ago
With no dyno runs ever with my GMC 6’s I cannot speak of their loss or gain but everytime I tried anything but a conventional plug the performance of my engine in the car fell off so I quit trying any of them. Performance always improved when I would file back the ground strap to the center of the electrode. When I started filing the end at a 45 degree after finding an article concerning this I found higher speeds. This seems to me that what Ted is saying works under wide open throttle longer than an 1/8 or 1/4 mile also.
By DryLakesRacer - 9 Years Ago
I was glad to see both you and Tims speeds in the results. I didn't see your starting number but mine was 207 and my only run was at 2:39 pm near the end of Saturday. We didn't around much on either day and would like to say hi. At 11:00 am on Sunday I knew it was over and we loaded up. We missed the class record by 2/10's and our last run on the dirt was November 2011. You have a pretty big nut to crack in your class but your determination proceeds you. You catch what my son made on YouTube at " Car 49 El Mirage" . I know it's not a Y but not many like it either... I hoping to run more next year as I'm sure you want also. With all the problems with the salt I hope all will be good there too. J. D.
By DryLakesRacer - 8 Years Ago
Good for you and Tim. One of the guys I help, Jim Loving, has been invited to display his Firebird in the SCTA display also. I'm glad to see them using some of the "little" guys in land-speed as well as the others most know that compete. Hope to see you there . . JD
Sorry Charlie but I didn't make it. A lot of my friends went Friday and stay pretty late and my wife and I had plans. Saturday afternoon and early evening we were invited to test our 1/2 mile dirt car at Perris Speedway with 4 sprint cars and just couldn't turn that down. 50 + hard laps with suspension adjustments was hard to pass up. I almost came Sunday knowing the rain would keep attendance down. The Firebird I help was orange and white. Jim Loving owns it. He's about 6'5" and hard to miss and was next to the Ferguson Liner. I see you were placed by Bob Stahls VW... Another great guy. Hope you had fun. Don't know when I will run next year. May is out because we are racing at Perris. The June meet Patrick and I are doing patrol all day. JD
As Charlie said "sooner or later" and it is sooner. The results on the Scta-Bni website shows Charlie's record has been bumped up by 10. We only "rent " these, some for a short time and some for a bit longer.

To give you an idea how fast this blown engine class( E/ Blown modified) is the full size pickup, not a mid-mini as Charlie's, is 225 mph and most of the non-blown records are in the 180's.
Charlie's hard work it to be congratulated as it is not an easy task to build anything to run on the salt and the expense to do it.
By DryLakesRacer - 5 Years Ago
Charlie. I had to dump the Schiefer flywheel on the GMC I ran with Joe Fontana because it was a cast one. EZ to tell by the re-enforcing ribs on the back side. Not allowed by the SCTA any longer. My McGurk was the same. I guess they will make nice clocks now...JD
I don't know how you are pressurizing the driver compartment but my friends Firebird at El Mirage was really dusty inside. He used the mirror blanks for a 1" tube facing forward and the dust is now a non issue. El Mirage dust has a way to get into everything.

As a total side note I just returned from World Finals @ Bonneville and we were very happy to pushup the XO/Gas Roadster record to 169.2 mph with a qualifying run of 169.9 mph.  For you non LSR rules guys this a 1952 stock 7 port head 310" GMC  6 on gasoline pushing a 32 Ford grille shell. My Y-block is in my 56 Victoria.

Hope to see you at El Mirage by the end of the year....Keep us posted..................JD

I hope these come out. An older picture before it went in the roadster, one in the car and my 2 car garage.  The '56 Vic is now in there too.
Funny you should say that...Clifford never did offer a manifold for a 302, and if you look very closly that isn't one either. Many hours on a 194-292 to make fit. They make one now because of what I did. They recieved too many calls and were showed pictures and now cast one up but it doesn't flow like mine.

I'm starting a 12 port crossflow head engine for my next one. It's a Skinner. Originally 5 were built in New Jersey. 15 were recast and I have #14. It's the best of all the heads. You can still get a Wayne, Horning/Fisher, or Howard/Arias all the patterns a own by a close friend in So Cal who currently is casting the "new Ardun" overheads for Flathead Ford/ Merc. and building show and racing engines. I'm sure he will own the Skinner castings some day too. Another friend in No Cal owns the molds and has cast some Wayne Chevrolets.

My son and I both got into the Bonneville 200 MPH club with a Skinner on 75-80% nitro in my roadster and the owner of the engine raisied the compression ran in on gasoline in a streamliner at 255 mph to get in the club. He was 82.

Working with any of the old engines is great fun..............Thanks for inquiry

Opps sorry to miss part of the question. The engine in the picture is a 7 port stock head and a crossflow puts you in another SCTA class.
Charlie I'd go with the single one on the top and see what happens. Jim Loving's Firebird needed 2. My first suggestion was 1" emt tubing under the hood following the roll cage up thru the firewall from front of the car; but going to the plates covering the mirrors were an easier fix. Before he put them on he could hardly drive the car from the dust.

I had the same problem years ago with my 40 Chevrolet Coupe. One may be enough for your driver compartment. If not you can go from your side covers with reverse louvers. I actually used those clear circular air intakes from small private airplanes. Drilled a hole (about 1-1/2") and popped them in. I remember finding them at Ventura Municipal at a supply store. I'm sure Aircaraft Spruce has them and would work great now because of the need for Lexan windows......Good Luck

By Joe-JDC - 4 Years Ago
Make sure if you go the E-3 spark plug route, you get the proper heat range, otherwise, you may lose horsepower.  Dyno testing proved loss of 6-8 hp with the E-3.  When I talked with the E-3 sales representative, he said we were using the wrong heat range that caused the hp loss.   Joe-JDC
By jhildebr - 10 Years Ago
Charlie,

Sorry you didn't get to make the LSR run. Bring it down to Barona and join us for the West Coast Y-Block Shootout on June 15th. You don't have to be the fastest car to win. A slower car won last year - it's a bracket (dial in) race. If your coming email me and I will send you the racer profile form and reserve pit space. You can camp over the weekend for free at the track. There is cash and prizes for this event. Jhildebr@cox.net

By ian57tbird - 11 Years Ago
Looks like a plumbing nightmare, but great work.
By ian57tbird - 8 Years Ago
Great read. Best of luck this year Charlie. Hope we can catch up again sometime in the future.
By ian57tbird - 8 Years Ago
Congratulations Charlie. I remember you saying there was a record to be had, and you did it.
Couldn't have been to a more deserving person.
Fingers crossed, hopefully you keep it for a while.
By ian57tbird - 6 Years Ago
I've been here for two days having a great time with Charlie and others at Bonneville.
Charlie ran a fantastic 160mph today on a 158mph record. He now needs to do it again tomorrow to claim a new record. There hasn't been any problems with the motor but we had to do a couple of patch repairs on other things, so we are hoping that they will hold up for tomorrow's run.
That old budget Yblock is amazing people around here.

There was a rev limiter but as I mentioned to Charlie I once had a 7AL2 and sold it on. The new owner later had it tested and the limiter was not working. So maybe the limiter was faulty.
HI Charlie. You forgot to list: Repaint hood.Smile
By ian57tbird - 4 Years Ago
Hey Charlie. I thought you were going to look at alternatives to those flex joints after have several failures in the past. 
By ian57tbird - 4 Years Ago
Sorry to hear that Charlie. 
By Cliff - 5 Years Ago
Nice, I like watching your work
By Cliff - 4 Years Ago
Check these out

https://www.jegs.com/i/E3-Spark-Plugs/368/E3.72/10002/-1
By Cliff - 4 Years Ago
Hi Charlie, what lifters were you using? also what was the seat pressure.

Thanks Cliff
By Cliff - 4 Years Ago
Got it, I'm running Trend Tool Steel Lifters and a Comp nitrated cam, I hope that it stays good.
By Cliff - 3 Years Ago
Go Charley, is that a VW front end?
By Cliff - 2 Years Ago
Hi Charley, the way I find TDC is to make a stop (strap across the top of the piston) with a bolt, I turn the engine until the piston hits the stop, I record the number on the wheel, then I turn it the other direction till it hits the stop, divide in 1/2 that's TDC. 
By Cliff - 2 Years Ago
Hi, move the bolt up to the top so it stops the piston about 1/2" down the bore, bring up the piston till it hits the stop then set the degree wheel to zero, then turn the crank to the other direction until it hits the stop again then record the number on the degree wheel, divide that number in 1/2 that will be TDC on the degree wheel (if it reads 40 then TDC will be at the 20 mark on the wheel)
By Cliff - 2 Years Ago
The slack in the chain is a problem, there are YouTube videos from Comp Cams that help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cNoVRLb73c
By Cliff - 2 Years Ago
Hi, Charley, it's good to check 2 cylinders (1 and 6), look at the Comp Cam video in the link above.
By Cliff - 2 Years Ago
Nice, I like to check mine with oil, it doesn't add to the lift or duration much. I'm still stuck on the intake manifold for my car so I quit for a little wile and am doing other work on the car (making brake pedal, gas pedal and other small stuff), it makes me happy when I build something and it turns out good the first time, I'll get back to the manifold shortly (I think it's trying to beat me) 
By Rowen - 9 Years Ago
charliemccraney (1/1/2016)
Awesome.

. X2!!!! :0)
By Small block - 7 Years Ago
The Ford into a scruby thing reminds me of One of the racers did back in the early 1970's! He built a 1968 Camaro with a 351 boss engine!
It run in Altered class and won a bunch of Races the first year, then NHRA came up with a bunch of new Rules were the Engine Cubic inch to Weight 
was refactored, Something  about Canted  valve  ford Engines needed to pack .5  of a pound for each cubic inch  and the Car was not competitive anymore. 

By Dave C - 4 Years Ago
I  may be way off base here but, I have never seen a turbo using a flex joint to attach the header to the turbo. Most I have seen used a solid exhaust connection with the turbo mounted as to be able to flex ie rubber mounts. Wouldn't that be a better fix?

Again, I'm not a tubo guy just what I have noticed on several different cars.

Dave
By Dave C - 4 Years Ago
Good to know.. Thanks..

Dave
By charliemccraney - 13 Years Ago
That poor hunchback.
The hans device is just one of those things where it will be fine until someone does die and it very likely could have been prevented if such a device was used. Sure, the odds are that it won't happen, but it is a small price to pay when the odds are against you and it does happen.
Looks good. Is that sections of bed floor?
By charliemccraney - 12 Years Ago
It only needs a radiator, or it needs an original radiator? Maybe you can find some aerodynamic advantage by finding a small radiator to mount with a sheet of aluminum to help seal off the grill?
Since a stock sized radiator has to be in the stock location, why not use a radiator for it's designed purpose? Install a smaller fuel tank in the driver side rear. Mount some steel plates to the passenger side rear. I understand the lower center of gravity but there will always be coolant in the engine. You can't do anything about that. The extra in the radiator won't amount to much and it will make it easier to get the weight distribution of the truck correct. And I imagine that you would have to carry less coolant which might end up reducing the overall weight of the truck.

Does the water tank method keep the engine at a consistent temperature?

Are there any restrictions on the installation of the turbos? You could try installing them remotely, like just ahead of the rear axle. Try to Run all of the tubing down the passenger side. The intake air will be cooler. The length of aluminum tubing for the pressurized air should keep it cool particularly since under hood temps won't influence it throughout most of the length, possibly eliminating the need for an intercooler which could cancel out the added weight of the coolant in the radiator. There can be fewer bends to reduce the pressure drop. The exhaust gas temperature will be cooler at the turbos and so the turbos will probably have to be built to account for that.

You'll be using a bed cover, right? I'll bet there is a high pressure area you could exploit for the intake air but it might either take some trial and error or some test runs with sensors in place to find the right spot.
kinky.
By charliemccraney - 2 Years Ago
You can get indicator extensions to lengthen the dial indicator.  It makes this job much easier.

https://www.mcmaster.com/indicator-extensions/
By charliemccraney - 6 Years Ago
Awesome
No rev limiter?
Has the T5 been problematic?
By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
Charlie, I think what he notices is that the stroke is longer than can be acquired with only machining to a 2.00" journal.  The maximum with that would be about 3.480 if starting with a pristine 292 crank.
By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
Where'd you find the windage tray?
By charliemccraney - 4 Years Ago
It took about 60 spark plugs for me to get a set that was mostly where I wanted them the last time I did it.

Bla

By charliemccraney - 10 Years Ago
Denial is a sure sign that you have a problem.
By charliemccraney - 10 Years Ago
Charlie won't have enough room to slow down Wink
By charliemccraney - 9 Years Ago
Awesome.
By charliemccraney - 8 Years Ago
Awesome.
I'm glad you posted that.  Bob asked me to but I didn't realize what day it was at the time.  I guess I'd be too late now.  I'm sure it can be found online somewhere.
By Ted - 13 Years Ago
Charlie.  By all means keep up the posts.  Certain deviations will be obviously be overlooked.
By Ted - 9 Years Ago
Congratulations Charlie.  It will be interesting to see how much speed is in that truck once it’s let loose.
By Ted - 6 Years Ago
What system are you using?  Laptop, IPod, Tablet, etc.   Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.
Have you tried the instructions at the following link?
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic34535.aspx 
By Ted - 6 Years Ago
Looking good Charlie.  Keep those updates coming.
By Ted - 6 Years Ago
Any updates on Charlie’s backup run for the record?
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
57FordPU (7/4/2019)
The dial indicator shows all 16 valves has cylinder wall interference.  I started by tracing all the valve pockets in the head gasket onto the deck.

Charlie.
What valve lift are you running and how much have the heads been milled?  My "iron head" rule of thumb for cylinder wall notching is when the intake valve lift exceeds 0.535”.  Milling the heads does force the need for cylinder wall notching sooner.  The exhaust valve typically free drops into the cylinder so no notching has been required for those.  While I prefer that the top piston ring groove to be as close as possible to the top of the piston, that does compound the ability to have cylinder wall notches deep enough for the high lift camshafts.  In those cases, I’ll have the piston ring 0.350” from the piston top.

By Ted - 2 Years Ago
The articles on how to degree in the camshaft that were originally published in the Y-Block Magazine in 2015 are on my website.  Here’s the link to Part 1 of those articles that may help.
Degreeing in the camshaft – Part I – Finding TDC – Eaton Balancing 
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
Charlie.
I neglected to ask if you have stock sized valves or are they larger?  Larger than stock valves does bring valve to cylinder contact issues to the forefront much sooner.
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
Charlie.  Crankshaft windage trays for full skirted blocks are challenging to say the least.  When done by the factory, they tend to sandwich between the block rail and the oil pan.  What you have looks good and is expected to be a major improvement over no tray at all.  Here’s one I did for the Y using a SBF windage tray made by Canton.  It fit with surprisingly very few modifications.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e68d8dd7-5450-4cda-9a8e-cc50.jpg  

I used the SBF tray simply due to the SBF and the Y-Block sharing the same bore centers which makes the main bolt spacing from front to rear the same.  The main bolt holes in the Canton tray had to be elongated outwards some but it fit nicely otherwise with only a couple of notches being required on the tray on the side opposite of the oil filter.
By Ted - 4 Years Ago

Joe-JDC (5/15/2020)
Make sure if you go the E-3 spark plug route, you get the proper heat range, otherwise, you may lose horsepower.  Dyno testing proved loss of 6-8 hp with the E-3.  When I talked with the E-3 sales representative, he said we were using the wrong heat range that caused the hp loss.   Joe-JDC

Having tested a variety of specialty spark plugs for customers in various engines, to date the only spark plug that has consistently shown a loss of power when tested against the more conventional designs of spark plugs has been the E3 spark plugs.  I can only guess at the reasons for this but heat range is potentially only part of the equation.  When a spark plug fires, a flame kernel is created around the generated spark and it’s that flame kernel that ignites the mixture.  If that ‘kernel’ is not allowed to fully form, then the combustion process is subsequently altered.  Putting a strap directly in the path of that flame kernel as in the case of the E3 spark plugs is one logical reason I come up with for the engines equipped with those spark plugs showing a decrease in power output when compared to other spark plugs.  A lot of opinion here so other opinions always welcome.

By Ted - 4 Years Ago
Charlie.  Can you give some more detail on which lobes went flat on the camshaft?  There are a multitude of reasons for a camshaft to go flat but sitting for a number of years is getting close to the top of the list.

While I don’t see lifter shank diameters being a problem with the HyLift Johnson lifters, it is a problem with other brands.  While they may fit in the bores, they are not in a position to turn freely if on the large side of spec.  It’s extremely important that the lifters have at least 0.001” clearance in the lifter bores as any tighter than this inhibits their ability to turn freely in the bores.

Here’s a list of items that contributor to camshaft and/or lifter failures.
https://www.eatonbalancing.com/2012/11/06/camshaft-and-lifter-failure-causes-2/
By Ted - 3 Years Ago
57FordPU (12/24/2021)
.....His balancing of the rotating assembly is second to none (sorry Ted).

No apology necessary.  Tim does good work and that’s alone speaks for itself.
By Ted - 3 Years Ago
57FordPU (12/30/2021)
I am using Total Seal rings with a gapless top ring.

What piston ring gaps are you targeting for?