Profile Picture

New Bonneville Race Truck

Posted By 57FordPU 14 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Paul, Thanks for the questions.  I have great friends, but when I show them something interesting about the engine or race car, they look at it and then they say, "hey you have a new calendar on the wall"!!!  It's nice to chat with someone who is truly interested.

Your questions about the heads, compression loss and cam lift are valid.  The heads are 471 castings and are a common replacement for "F" code engines.  They have lower compression than the "G" heads but that is necessary to let the engine live a little longer with reduced detonation and Tim McMaster thinks they may flow every bit as good.  Tim did a great job on these heads.  I have been running them for about 5 years now and they are an integral part of making these Y Blocks fly. The relieving does contribute to making the compression even lower, however it is necessary for the valves to clear the cylinder walls.  During a chassis dydo session for rear wheel horsepower and considering a 17% parasitic loss from all the drive train components, the little 258 cu in Y Block made 454 flywheel hp with these heads.  All this on 5 lbs of turbo boost makes me a believer in Tim's work.

Another mention was of the extra lift in the cam and whether the extra lift was necessary (requiring deeper cylinder wall relieving).  The personality of these turbo cams are quite different than normally aspirated engine cams.  First of all most of the duration overlap is eliminated.  The lobe separation is 114 and the center lines are 110 on the intake and 118 on the exhaust.  When the exhaust opens too early, the boosted charge escapes to some degree into the exhaust headers.  What the turbo setup does like is higher lift.  I have put as much lift into the valve train as I can afford.

These engine specs and choices of parts are not optimum.  Aluminum heads etc. would be nice, but I'm happy with what Tim has help me build so far.  The little 258 cu in Y ("E" motor) went 161 mph (on a 158 record) at Bonneville last September and I couldn't be more pleased .  This new build (actually, the new short block was created over 4 yrs ago) will jump two classes to "C" and the record there is 192 mph.  Will this new Y Block measure up to those aftermarket scrubs?  It did in "E", but 192 is a tall order.  I calculate it will take 650 hp to make that happen and the new short block (albeit more cubic inches at 338) won't get me there alone.  I have some changes on the top end that hopefully will push me closer to the 200 mph goal.

Charlie Burns Laton, Ca (South of Fresno)

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
LordMrFord
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
More boost. Y wont break. Smile

Hyvinkää, FI
57FordPU
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Heads are now on.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b9adcb28-4c71-4922-9870-4b3c.jpg

Windage trey on.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/af3f72bd-6872-486c-b998-1e13.jpg

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Where'd you find the windage tray?

Lawrenceville, GA
Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Nice, I like watching your work
57FordPU
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Cliff.  Hello Charlie, the windage trey is a poor boys attempt to help in a couple of ways and I have used this unit for about 10 years.  I created a steel framework to tie the main webs via the extruding main studs.  It doesn't connect to the pan rail, so I'm not sure of the effectiveness.  The windage trey is from a Jeep V8 (not sure of the year).  I carved on the stock unit to allow clearances for everything and welded it to the girdle framework.

The old Schiefer aluminum flywheel has seen better days.  It has served me well and after surfacing it at a local machine shop, it is still true.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6a5534f3-7394-4196-9e0e-d1df.jpg 

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Charlie. I had to dump the Schiefer flywheel on the GMC I ran with Joe Fontana because it was a cast one. EZ to tell by the re-enforcing ribs on the back side. Not allowed by the SCTA any longer. My McGurk was the same. I guess they will make nice clocks now...JD

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Charlie.  Crankshaft windage trays for full skirted blocks are challenging to say the least.  When done by the factory, they tend to sandwich between the block rail and the oil pan.  What you have looks good and is expected to be a major improvement over no tray at all.  Here’s one I did for the Y using a SBF windage tray made by Canton.  It fit with surprisingly very few modifications.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e68d8dd7-5450-4cda-9a8e-cc50.jpg  

I used the SBF tray simply due to the SBF and the Y-Block sharing the same bore centers which makes the main bolt spacing from front to rear the same.  The main bolt holes in the Canton tray had to be elongated outwards some but it fit nicely otherwise with only a couple of notches being required on the tray on the side opposite of the oil filter.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

57FordPU
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ready to run-in.  Fingers crossed.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1b9b414c-a525-40b9-a5c9-d4f9.jpg

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
57FordPU
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The run-in was a success with no flat cam lobes, no smoke and no metal in the engine oil.

Sorry, for the link, but I am unable to chance the format of the video to post directly here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns2pqWt6j_s

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com

Reading This Topic

Site Meter