Profile Picture

New Bonneville Race Truck

Posted By 57FordPU 14 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Good eye Charlie, my comment of a 2.008" big end was the rod ID, not the journal.  The journals are 1.889".

Charlie Burns Laton, Ca (South of Fresno)

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
57FordPU
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Back to the 338" Y-Block build.  Next is relieving the block.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c2f9a333-61ca-4fec-9633-46ef.jpg

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
pintoplumber
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Are you allowed to have those clothespins?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA
57FordPU
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hi, Dennis, it's ok, they are snap-on.

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
57FordPU
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The dial indicator shows all 16 valves has cylinder wall interference.  I started by tracing all the valve pockets in the head gasket onto the deck.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/dd28ba99-be5f-4e09-9c73-041b.jpg

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
57FordPU (7/4/2019)
The dial indicator shows all 16 valves has cylinder wall interference.  I started by tracing all the valve pockets in the head gasket onto the deck.

Charlie.
What valve lift are you running and how much have the heads been milled?  My "iron head" rule of thumb for cylinder wall notching is when the intake valve lift exceeds 0.535”.  Milling the heads does force the need for cylinder wall notching sooner.  The exhaust valve typically free drops into the cylinder so no notching has been required for those.  While I prefer that the top piston ring groove to be as close as possible to the top of the piston, that does compound the ability to have cylinder wall notches deep enough for the high lift camshafts.  In those cases, I’ll have the piston ring 0.350” from the piston top.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Charlie.
I neglected to ask if you have stock sized valves or are they larger?  Larger than stock valves does bring valve to cylinder contact issues to the forefront much sooner.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
WoW!  They look bigger to me!   :rolleyes

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Probably mentioned earlier, but what casting letters are the heads?.  Reason for asking is that in the case of ECZ-G heads for instance, it's my understanding, that valve shrouding occurs with overly large iintakes.?   I'm hardly an expert on Y-Block race engines, but I seem to recall that John Mummert, possibly (?) stated in the past that notching the block for valve clearance, often resuls in a noticeable loss in compression.. So, the extra lift at the valves may not be productive?.  As an example, a friend many years ago beveled the block in his Y-Block "D" gas racer. It didn't result in any improvement in  performance that we could see...    

Paul
57FordPU
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Sorry, been away for a while, but back now.
Hi, Ted, in answer to your questions, the total lift is .556 on the intake and .553 on the exhaust.  I am still using those lightened and polished stock 1.54 rockers.  They have seen 7k rpm so many times and I am very impressed that they have held together.  It would be nice to have some 1.60 or higher ratio roller rockers, but this has always been a budget race program.

You also asked about the milling of the heads.  They have just been touched up and the lugs still measure 1.00".  You also asked about the valves and they are 2.02" on the intake and 1.60 on the exhaust.  Another concern is the top ring distance to stay below the reliefs.  These Racetec pistons were ordered by John Mummert after we discussed all the requirements for this build.  The rings are of course 1.63 mm (1/16") with extra crown, flat top, and the first land is at .400"

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com

Reading This Topic

Site Meter