Profile Picture

312 285 hp and 312 S/C camshaft info

Posted By Dennis K. 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Thankyou for the welcome......I can't say that I have anywhere near the experience that these folks have.....I've had my car for almost 17 years now......I enjoy the hobby and yes the engines themselves have alot to do with it...Not too many of the younger folk like the 50's cars and of course the y-block engines.....Most like the 390 FE engines.........If there even a ford fan.... I grew up with them because my dad had his 55 T-bird for more then 40yrs now.....  What car do you have have and what's under the hood?

Thanks for chatting.....

Jeff

pegleg
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Jeff, Mines a 57 "F" code Custom 300. Currently a 3 speed OD. The car's a clone, built from a California Six automatic. I race a Pure Stock series here in the Midwest with it acouple times a year. It's run a best of 13.71 @ 105 mph in Stock form. 

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

DualQuad312
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)

Hi Frank,

Very good on the supercharged 300 sedan......My ranchero had the e-code added.....I run a 3speed OD as well....I, don't race but I am intrigued with the high performance engines....I like to push it hard once or twice when I go out for a ride....Second gear is pretty awesome when all 8bls. are open.....I was wondering......my transmission is the T-85C 1-A with the R11-J tailstock.....Is this the same trans as in your Supercharged car? I, was told that Ford used the same O.D transmissions in 57 for the 312 engines  D, E and F codes....What are your thoughts? Also on the side cover it says T-89B....Does this have any meaning? I have some other questions about the trans....but I'll ask them later.....I'm currently using a 3.89 differential......Should I be using a 3,70 diff.? I, was told the E-codes used this setup......Thanks for help and the interest......

Jeff

DualQuad312
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

correction Frank, I should of wrote 57 ford custom.....mine was origonally a 292 with a 2bl....
Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
DualQuad312 (5/29/2011)
.....I was wondering......my transmission is the T-85C 1-A with the R11-J tailstock.....Is this the same trans as in your Supercharged car?
Jeff.  The T89 gear box and the R11 overdrive unit are typically found together and are the pinnacle of three speed overdrive development for those series of transmissions.  The T89 has the offset shifter pivots versus the T85 having the shifter pivots level with each other.  The R11 is the newer version overdrive versus that of the R10.

Try this link for more information regarding the BW overdrives.  http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Topic59107-6-1.aspx 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

pegleg
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Jeff, What Ted said. The T89 is a later, supposedly stronger version. the R11 is a stringer version of thew OD unit. Nothing in it except the speedo drive gear intercahnges with an R10.

Only you can tell if there's enough gear, if it pulls well in OD with the 3.89's, keep them.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

DualQuad312
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the advice......I feel as though what I have is good......I don't have any complaints.....I can't say that I'm puting myself in any kind of competition....A guy I know down in South Caroilna who has worked on supercharged car and thunderbirds mentioned it to me. He mentioned using a 3.70 diff. That's the only reason I asked about it.... I, do have an issue with the speedometer reading 10 mph higher then it should be.....I should have a 21 tooth speedo gear......the biggest gear I can get is a 19tooth....Let me explain.....I was formerly using a T-86 top loader trans....When I put the T-89 in it required me to use hollow type speedo gear with the clip.....( the speedo drive gear is the opposite hand of what I had with the T-86 trans. which requires another type of speedometer gear the red 19 tooth gear Wink Is there a larger tooth speedo gear available for this T-89 trans.? where would I find one? a 21 tooth gear should do the trick....

Thanks for explaining what Ted was saying.....I'm going to see if I can look up the website he mentioned.....

Jeff

DualQuad312
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hi Ted,

I looked at the article that mentioned both the T-85 and the T-89......Correct me if I'm wrong....The T-85 could be found with an R10 tail stock? I thought the R10 was only found on the T-86 trans? And there are significant differances between the T-85 and T-89.....Not just the side covers..Hah that's funny...I know exactly what your saying when you mentioned the flat shifter levers verses the offset ones.....I have two T-89B transmissions.....One I put in the car and the other is a spare....I'd like to take a T-85 apart and look at all the differances between that and the T-89......At what time period did the T-89 come out? the guy I bouht the trans from said it came out of a 57 Ranchero.....Is this possible?

Thanks for the help....nice chatting,

Jeff

57ECODE
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi,
I have a NOS in the tube EDB-6250-D Camshaft. Does anyone have any more info on this cam? I've attached a pic of the label on the tube.
Thanks
Mike
Attachments
$_57.jpg (409 views, 315.00 KB)
Oldmics
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Mike
Are there any markings on the camshaft itself?
Oldmics

Reading This Topic

Site Meter