Profile Picture

312 285 hp and 312 S/C camshaft info

Posted By Dennis K. 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Hi Frank,

Very good on the supercharged 300 sedan......My ranchero had the e-code added.....I run a 3speed OD as well....I, don't race but I am intrigued with the high performance engines....I like to push it hard once or twice when I go out for a ride....Second gear is pretty awesome when all 8bls. are open.....I was wondering......my transmission is the T-85C 1-A with the R11-J tailstock.....Is this the same trans as in your Supercharged car? I, was told that Ford used the same O.D transmissions in 57 for the 312 engines  D, E and F codes....What are your thoughts? Also on the side cover it says T-89B....Does this have any meaning? I have some other questions about the trans....but I'll ask them later.....I'm currently using a 3.89 differential......Should I be using a 3,70 diff.? I, was told the E-codes used this setup......Thanks for help and the interest......

Jeff

pegleg
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Jeff, Mines a 57 "F" code Custom 300. Currently a 3 speed OD. The car's a clone, built from a California Six automatic. I race a Pure Stock series here in the Midwest with it acouple times a year. It's run a best of 13.71 @ 105 mph in Stock form. 

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

DualQuad312
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)

Thankyou for the welcome......I can't say that I have anywhere near the experience that these folks have.....I've had my car for almost 17 years now......I enjoy the hobby and yes the engines themselves have alot to do with it...Not too many of the younger folk like the 50's cars and of course the y-block engines.....Most like the 390 FE engines.........If there even a ford fan.... I grew up with them because my dad had his 55 T-bird for more then 40yrs now.....  What car do you have have and what's under the hood?

Thanks for chatting.....

Jeff

pegleg
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Jeff,

Welcome to the group. As you've discovered there's a considerable amount of talented people with serious knowledge of Y blocks in general, and the dual quad, and F codes in particular on this site. Dennis is a retired Ford Engineer, John Feistritzer has raced F codes fo over 40 years, Ted Eaton, retired engineer, has built some of the quickest Y blocks ever. Etc. Etc.

We welcome everybody that likes Y's, they even let me yap occasionally. 

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

DualQuad312
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hello,

I wanted to thankyou for welcoming me into the gp.....As you probably suspected I don't have any real proof what ford used in there 285 hp engine. I apolojize if I mislead anyone. I only know what I've read...And even with that there are some things that are vague and possibly inacurate. Where I've read this was from the Internet.....There was a claim a few years back on the internet that the the supposedly used RPM 300 cam could develop an honest 300 hp. That what the person wrote. I believe this was used on the supposed 285hp engine. There are some people I know in CTCI That maybe able to help....I'll see if I can get some information... I just recently built a 312 E-code engine this past winter and installed it in my 57 Ranchero...I had the M-260 camshaft ground off a stock cam by Berry cam Services a few years back in Lester Praire Minnesota. There's .433 lift for both the intake and end exh. according to the grind card 268 degrees of duration. I, went a little overboard and put the dual dampened valve springs in, single piece spring retainers and the 5/16 tubular pushrods....So far I'm pleased with the results...Just wated to share a little info. on what I like to tinker with

Jeff

Dennis K.
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Don Woodruff (5/17/2011)
Just speculation here, In 1957 we have D, E, and F base versions plus what I call the + versions of the E and F (with the "better" cam). Is there a chance there was a D+ version?

Don W

Assuming:

D= 312 4V 245 hp

E = 312 8V 270 hp

E+= 312 8V 285 hp

F = 312 S/C 300 hp

F+ = 312 S/C with Domestic Special Order cam, and no factory HP rating

I don't think there was a D+.  After the S/C ban in NASCAR, the 57 Ford hoods had "245 hp" lettered on them.  Now whether they were running any "special" camshafts or other components, I don't know.  If so, perhaps that could be the "D+" ? 

Back in the day, Steve Honnell mentioned they would let him run his S/C 57 T-Bird in the four barrel class if he took the blower belt off, and yet still had the advantage of the DSO cam.  

Regards,

Dennis

Don Woodruff
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Just speculation here, In 1957 we have D, E, and F base versions plus what I call the + versions of the E and F (with the "better" cam). Is there a chance there was a D+ version?

Don W

Missouri Mike
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

Dennis-

Thanks for the link, and a belated congrats to Oldmics on his purchase.  Unfortunately, being several months behind is nothing new for me.

Mike

I'd rather be lucky than good.................

but good ain't bad!!

Dennis K.
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Missouri Mike (5/16/2011)
   I assume at some point someone contacted Isky to see if they had any knowledge or data pertaining to these questions?

Dr John Craft states in his book "Vintage & Historic Stock Cars" that Lincoln/Mercury Racer Bill Stroppe  built a "fleet" of 1957 Mercurys to counter Holman-Moody Ford backed operation.

He used a 368ci Y block with "an "Isky" hot rod cam that conveniently carried a Mercury parts number".

For what it's worth, I found it interesting.

Missouri Mke

Yes, 'Oldmics' inteviewed Ed Iskenderian and I posted the discussion notes in another thread on this forum: VERY RARE Y-BLOCK KIT ON EBAY

Link:  http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Topic52451-3-9.aspx

If anyone has any new tangible information on the 1956 - 1957 312 High Performance engines or camshafts, particularily the 1957 285 hp, it would be most certainly welcome.  From work, I personally knew some of the individuals that worked on the 8V and S/C programs, and have already talked to all that are still with us to help put the puzzle back together, along with researching available engineering information on these engines that was still available before I retired from Ford.  I recently started contacting the families of  deceased key individuals to see if they still had any info re this.  These questions, probably should of been asked 20+ years ago, when everyone was still around.     

Regards,

Dennis

Missouri Mike
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

I assume at some point someone contacted Isky to see if they had any knowledge or data pertaining to these questions?

Dr John Craft states in his book "Vintage & Historic Stock Cars" that Lincoln/Mercury Racer Bill Stroppe  built a "fleet" of 1957 Mercurys to counter Holman-Moody Ford backed operation.

He used a 368ci Y block with "an "Isky" hot rod cam that conveniently carried a Mercury parts number".

For what it's worth, I found it interesting.

Missouri Mke

I'd rather be lucky than good.................

but good ain't bad!!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter