Profile Picture

312 285 hp and 312 S/C camshaft info

Posted By Dennis K. 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/bcddeaf9-277a-4390-9540-50b5.jpg
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Based on the reverse engineered specs you provide, my thoughts goes toward the original camshaft being swapped out for the one you now have.  The specs on this camshaft does match the specs for the 1957 B, C, D, & E code engines which makes it not matching the description on the container.  That now brings up the next line of questioning.  What is the exact history on this camshaft and how did you come into possession ot it?

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Oldmics
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
57ECode
I did look at the report. Its a very through document.
Much more information  than what my CamDr would produce.
I agree with Ted that the cam analysis that was done to your stick matchs the specifications for a regular 1957 cam.     Nothing race special about it.

Somewhere along the way the original cam supplied in that tube had to have been swapped out.  Now a virgin 1957 cam is nothing to sneeze at.
Many folks would want an original/new 1957 cam for their rebuilds as they are no longer availiable .

And the elusive 285 H.P camshaft mystery trudges onward.

Oldmics
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Oldmics is on to something with his comment re the existing 1957 Camshaft!  For the record, all Ford rebuilds after 1957 were with pre 1957 spec cams, which are a fair amount milder than the '57. If that is a '57 spec one & has not been run, someone should arrange to have it"documented" in some way!.. As far as I'm aware, there is only one Camshaft shop in the USA, that has a genuine copy of that grind on hand to work from. That shop is Oregon Cams in Vancouver Washington. (just across the Columbia river from Oregon)..  I believe that "Ted" obtained a copy of that Cam at a customer's request, not that long ago.  As far as I recall, the specs were correct or very close to factory .... As for the mystery of the "E" code cam that has been discussed for some time, it occurred to me that it may be tied in with the "fast one" that G.M. pulled at the 1957 meeting of the "big three" that resulted in the "dumb move" by Ford brass, headed by Rob't McNammara, of buying into the G.M rep's proposal of no advertising or promotion of racing or high performance. Ford management thought they were dealing with a straight up people. Little did they know!.  There after, all subsequent Ford literature had nearly all references to high periformance of any sort, deleted...       

Paul
KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

I do have one question in reference to how "service parts" are labeled.

In the other post you made reference to camshafts designated as a B7AE part number as opposed to the B7A prefix normally associated with parts.

What does the "AE" designation stand for?

After rereading the Popular Hot Rodding article about Isky offering the B7A 6250-C cam as a service part-I question if that is actually true.

Reason for my doubts is because ALL of those B7A 6250-C cams that I have encountered are ground on Ford identified camshaft billets.

Would Ford have sent Isky blank Ford identified billets to grind there service parts on?

FOMOCO used different variations in their PN SYSTEM over the years.

B7A identifies as a SERVICE REPLACEMENT PN first released for the 1957 model run.
B7AE identifies as either a SVC REPLACEMENT PN or an ENG PN ( used usually 1959-1961)

A =  Full Size FORD/MERC / E = ENGINE DESIGN GROUP.

FORD began the P&A PN SYSTEM in 1959 and there were subtle changes in form. Gone was the previous SYSTEM that showed as PN PREFIX ECZ (Engine Series ID).(example only).

Read this PSL and it's publication date and it should show why there were more several designs using the same SVC PN -

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ea303907-c393-484c-8c08-b389.jpg

CAM - 1957 SC - B7A 6250-C - MPC - Revised FEB 1961 CHANGE NO. 41

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a1562620-4030-45e0-9715-7da2.jpg

I hope this info helps.

Dennis,

I did not mean to steal your thunder. Sorry ...

Re service part labelling -

After 1958 Ford went back to using the Basic Number System.  There are four characters in the prefix.  The first is the decade, the second the model year.  The third represents the Product Line, i.e. - A = Ford (full size).  The fourth character represents Design Responsibility, i.e. - A = Ford Division PEO, B = Metal Stamping Division, E = Engine and Foundry Division Product Engineering Office, Z = Ford Parts and Service Office, etc ... . 

In 1958 and into 1959, Ford (actually I believe only E&F Div) used what was referred to as "boxcar numbers" on engine components.  Pre 1958, either a three letter prefix, i.e. - ECZ EDB, etc ...  was generally used for engineering part numbers and a three character prefix, i.e. - B7A, B6T, etc ...  was used on service parts.

I agree, the reference that Isky offered the B7A-C cam or the Isky E-2 is the 290 deg blower cam is inaccurate.  It is possible that Isky ground service part cams for Ford.  However, attempting to document and verify it may be difficult.

This goes back to my question about anyone having one of these relabeled Isky shipping tubes sold as a Ford service part camshaft.

Re your engine brouchure on the 285 hp engine.  Is there a date on the brouchure?  What does it state about this engine?  Can you post a scan?

Regards,

Dennis

KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

yalincoln-the Merc M260 used two Holley carbs according to the Merc specs.They never had two Carters from the factory.Both Fords and Merc horsepower ratings were 260 although the only thing shared between the two different setups were the same Holley carbs and the cylinder heads which were ECZ-C.

-Oldmics

There is evidence showing that the first fifty sets offered came through with CARTER(s). My understanding is there were difficulties with the vacuum secondary's on the 8V install.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1299826b-0c64-4c8c-8f13-637d.jpg

SOURCE - http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Multicarbsetups.htm

KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Camshaft EDB-6250-E (Engineering Stamping ID) was a service upgrade for the previous EDB-6250-D (Engineering Stamping ID) both using the same SERVICE PN B7A 6250-C. The PSL PSL-426) is dated MAY 04,1959. It was also to use the updated tappets (B8C 6500-A) introduced in the 1958 model run.

There is your answer to the E-CAM.

I have been following all of this and a few other discussions (such as rocker arm styles). To fully understand all of this will require members to scan and .pdf all info (such as correct period cataloging - instruction sheets - PSL's) and posting them somewhere all can readily access them. Info is now scattered all over the forum(s).

Also, a timeline has to be established as to design change as compared to 1956/57 NASCAR as to parts failure/performance upgrades.

Just another thought. The PN SYSTEM (prior to the 1959 P&A change) used a three character prefix for ENGINE, i.e. EDB for example. This system was used to identify engine series. The first character E identifies as ENGINE. The second character identities intro year of use and the third character narrows down to the exact engine the part was designed for.  This was used (along with the P&A) until the 1960 model run where then the P&A SYSTEM was also used for ENGINEERING ID NOS (1957/ ). And of course there was the SEVEN NUMERICAL NUMBERING SYSTEM of 1958/59

Spring 1956 was the design big turning point as it seems all changes were made to accommodate the upcoming NASCAR SEASON. So both were hand in hand.

Dennis K.
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)Supercharged (158 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
robin (8/27/2017)
.I recently bought a 57 E-code t-bird. I now have reason to believe it is the 285HP version. It has dual valve springs, dual points in the distributor and absolutely none of the options normally found on T-birds. No power anything. No convertible top or port holes, nothing but a radio. I fellow in PA who owns 30 T-Birds believes this is what is called a "street racer"? I found the car by talking to a paint salesman that used to ride in it in high school. His buddy's father was the original owner. The car developed a flat cam and was parked on Vashon Island WA in the salt air for 51 years. Needless to say it is a mess, but it is all there and has never been rebuilt. They did repaint the hood though due to all the stack fires they had.  I will be rebuilding this engine in the winter time and will see just what the cam is like. I have also ordered the original factory invoice in hopes it sheds some light on the 285HP issue. Will this help shed any light on the subject?

Has there ever been an update on what camshaft/grind data/valve lift ... was in this engine?
Regards, 
Dennis 

sweeptee
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Friends,
I need guidance w my 57 E Bird.  Cam and/or carb selection specifically.  I posted on this thread as the car was raced from new (Dec '56) by the dealer and then campaigned a bit by one of their mechanics before my father bought it in '63  I would like to get the mysterious 285HP camshaft (or as close as possible) during my current project.  I have no idea if this car was one of the unicorn 285 HP units as it was rebuilt at least twice since new.
Here are specs as I know them:
0.080 over for ~325 CI.  1.54 rockers   ECZ-G Heads milled down (guessing 10.8 compression)  Stock exhaust   Current Cam is a Lunati SP-280 grind with following specs:
0.480" Lift - 232 duration at 0.050"  Advertised at 280 degrees.  108 deg of lobe separation.  Cam had been installed 3 deg retarded and timing chain worn to 4 degrees of slop.
Car is 3sp w/ OD, 3.7 rear end.  Car became mine with a pair of Carter WCFB's that were less than perfect...
Project status:  Engine and Trans out of vehicle. replaced the worn driving gear on OD tailshaft so that the governor (and speedo/odo) will operate.  I installed a single four intake manifold and a new Edelbrock to get things "drivable" as the idle would not sit down with the worn and tired Carters.  The car always ran rich, smelled of fuel, high idle, etc.
Target:  Highway capable with reduced rpms (should be handled with the OD working).  Retain as much lope as possible, but get the car drivable with the true dual quad setup.
Next Steps: secure a less aggressive cam OR find a carb solution that will achieve (if possible) my desire to drive the car to cruises without all the "race car cam" drama.
I am eager for your ideas as I try to achieve a balance with this automobile...
Sweeptee

57 E 'Bird Customized for Glory
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Mummert's Y-284-S cam has very similar specs. The rpm range is 2500-6200. Based on my calculations, your final-drive ratio (3.70 rear and .70 OD)/w 26.9"-diameter tires (215/70R15) would be 2.59. Your speed at 2500 rpm would be 77.28 mph. I have to conclude that you would need a smaller cam, or not use OD often. We do have some pretty crazy drivers in California, where posted-speed-limit signs are pretty much meaningless. If that's the case where you live, go for it.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter