I thought I would just start a new thread and document the process that I went through to add posts to my unposted EZG-G heads. I appreciate everyones input, and advice on how to do this. I decided to follow the John Method (handed down from Jerry Christensen) vs. The Hoosier Hurricane's method. I'm sure both would work perfectly, but something about bringing the post from the top down, and leaving the deck surface unmarred seemed more appealing to me. Thanks agian for everyone's input and help. So here goes nothing:
If you haven't already made something like this to work on your heads then do it NOW! This stand is a life-saver!
The first step I took was to locate the placement for the modified post. I marked it with a rather nice large white dot. Like so (If you notice I used layout die and a scribe to mark the edges of the combustion chamber):
I then brought a verticle line from where I wanted to locate the hole in the rocker stand through to the base of the head (it matched up with the line I marked through the bottom of the head ):
I then used a punch to locate where I would begin my pilot hole. This was the beginning of my stress- to locate the hole accurately. You'll see in the next pictures why it's offset to the side slightly (to clear the intake runner just below the rocker arms:
You'll notice the sweet Puerto-Rican-lashing of a drill press we have, with a modified stand. Real high-tech in my garage. But, I shimmed it slightly on one side (just barel not level) to add an additional angle to my pilot hole to ensure that I would miss the intake runner (Probably isn't necessary if you ensure the you drill straight down):
Here was the moment of truth. The "I hope I don't really just %$*@#:"^<@# these heads that I've put sooo much work into" moment. The first pilot hole:
Heber City, UT (15 mins outside of Park City- basically it's in the mountains)