Profile Picture

what yokes fit a T-85 overdrive transmission?

Posted By Mark T 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
yeah that's the idea. I've been messing with this for over a year. I guess at last resort I could get that input shaft cut down to 6" and have the splines cut down too. It has 10 splines with is not much concern because one should be able to get a 10 1/2 inch clutch disk with the same splines as the input shaft. T-bird has the input shafts but they are really proud of them. I think I could get this one cut down for less than that. Then there's the speedo cable. T-bird has them too along with the OD shaft and lever.

Doing Fords for 45 years. '56 Customline Victoria

E.J. in Havana FL
crenwelge
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
The input shaft is going to be tough. You not only need the correct length, but you need the same tooth count on the input shaft so it meshes with the cluster gear and the same number of sliding clutch teeth. Finding the correct pilot bearing will be the easiest of your problems. Have you posted the casting number of the transmission you have? I suppose you are trying to put it in your 55 or 56.

Kenneth

Fredricksburg, Texas
ejstith
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)Supercharged (567 reputation)

I would have swore I saw on here, or somewhere, that one needed to use a '57 up speedometer housing and cable if using a T-85 transmission. On Tbird Products they list the cable and housing the same for a '55 to a '57? What's up with that? Do it or Don't it?

E.J. in Havana FL
ejstith
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I did what OldMic said and got one of those $30.00 yolks for a C-6. Slid right in there. Now I need a 6" input shaft and and '57 up speedometer cable and housing, overdrive handle and cable and I'm ready to go (with probably some driveshaft work). What is the deal of the pilot bushing? I assume one for a T-85 is bigger than a T-86 but I also assume one out of any Y-block with the right hole will fit.

E.J. in Havana FL
crenwelge
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)

In my Ford book, for some reason, that p/n has no dimensions. However the Hollander says its 16 splines, 57 pass and PI with OD, 57 SW with od or Fordo, 57 Fairlane with super charger, 55-57 Merc, 56 bird with Od or Fordo, 57 Bird with od. Its not anything I have in any of my parts cars, but at least its not a 1 year, 1 model thing. I have Hollander from about 1950 to the 80's, but I think that is about the only application for that PN.

Kenneth

Fredricksburg, Texas
Mark T
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
crenwelge (1/21/2010)
What p/n are you talking about. 49-55 used the same Yoke except for the police intercepter. 56 was still 16 spline,but some used a Spicer joint and some a Mechanics. I have a Hollander for those years and they are pretty good in showing what fit in the real world.

I've been told that I need part #B6S4841-A.  I'm only guessing but I would say that the transmission that I have would been considered a Police intercepter since its the Heavy duty 3 speed with overdrive, also used in T-birds and Mercury's.

Mark T
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)

Oldmics (1/22/2010)
You absolutly have to measure the outside diameter of the yoke.

16 spline came in two different sizes.

The one you need is 1.685 on the outside.There is also a 1.498 size that will not fit.

Ask the seller to measure the O.D. for you.

Oldmics

Thanks Oldmics, thats what I needed to know.  Did any of the Fordomatics use the larger size? The one on ebay is listed as a Fordomatic yoke.

If the one listed was in better condition I would as him what size it is but its a little to rusty for me, looks like its been outside for awhile. 

Oldmics
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
You absolutly have to measure the outside diameter of the yoke.

16 spline came in two different sizes.

The one you need is 1.685 on the outside.There is also a 1.498 size that will not fit.

Ask the seller to measure the O.D. for you.

Oldmics

crenwelge
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

What p/n are you talking about. 49-55 used the same Yoke except for the police intercepter. 56 was still 16 spline,but some used a Spicer joint and some a Mechanics. I have a Hollander for those years and they are pretty good in showing what fit in the real world.

Kenneth

Fredricksburg, Texas
Mark T
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I just check Ebay for a 16 spline yoke and found one for a Fordomatic, so I check my Ford Chassis Parts catalog to see if it would interchange with my Heavy duty 3 speed OD "T-85" and sure enough the Fordomatic and the heavy duty 3 speed have the same part number. can anyone verify this? 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter