what yokes fit a T-85 overdrive transmission?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic37555.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Mark T - 14 Years Ago
I have a T-85 OD that I'm planning to put behind my Y-Block but I'm missing the driveshaft yoke. What year yokes will interchange?  Thanks..Mark
By Oldmics - 14 Years Ago
First question would be

"How many splines are on the output"?

Oldmics

By Ted - 14 Years Ago
If the output shaft is 31 splines, then the yoke from a C6 automatic transmission will work.  I used one from a C6 that was behind a 352 which had the smaller ujoint (1310 series).  Many of the 390 equipped C6’s had a larger u-joint or a crossover u-joint (two different length crosses) which is fine depending upon what the driveshaft is requiring.  There are also some crossover ujoints available with two different size crosses that allows some additional interchangability.
By Mark T - 14 Years Ago
I'm pretty sure I counted 16 splines.
By speedpro56 - 14 Years Ago
Check with some of the tbird parts houses, they get them at times for heavy duty T85s and keep an eye on ebay. The 31 splines you can still get new. The 16 splines can be tuff but their out there.
By Mark T - 14 Years Ago
What spline count does the light duty t-86 have?  How about the '55-'56 automatic transmissions? 
By crenwelge - 14 Years Ago
The T86 in 55 and 56 used 16 spline with a 1.036 spline diameter. The same as a 3 speed without O/D for those years. The 57 and later used a 28 or a 31 spline. 28 spline was usually on a T86 of 57 or later.
By Hoosier Hurricane - 14 Years Ago
When Pegleg needed a 16 spline yoke for his T85, his local driveline shop couldn't get one.  I checked my local shop, same story.  But the (late) owner of my local shop said he could take a truck yoke, the kind used on two piece driveshafts and unfinished OD, and turn the OD down to the 1 11/16 diameter to fit the bushing.  Worked fine, but Pegleg had to buy the new yoke and pay for turning it down.
By Mark T - 14 Years Ago
So the T-85 and T-86, with or without overdrive used a 16 spline yoke?
The T 85 is the transmission designation.

You then have to add in the tailshaft consideration-in the case of the O.D. unit its an R11.

Your concern is to get a driveshaft yoke for a T 85 O.D. transmission with an R11 tailshaft.

The T85 transmission with the O.D. and the R11 tailshaft came in both spline counts of 31 and 16 depending on what year it was built, application and as to what it was installed into.

Best to measure the outer size of the tailshaft spline and start from there.

If you give me the outer size I can give you the Ford part number (its in the book) but then you will still have to find the actual part.

I just got one from eBay for $30.00 but it was a crap shoot for me since I did not know weather it was going to fit since the measurements were not listed in the add.

I will have to look regarding the fit to the T86 trans and report back.

Also can you post the rest of the information (numbers) on the tailshaft.It decrees length of the tailshaft and I want to compleatly understand what you have. Hehe

Oldmics

By Mark T - 14 Years Ago
Here are all of the numbers on the transmission.

Trans case    T85C-1A     6-14 on a small plate riveted to side of case.

Tailhousing      R11-IE        7-12 on riveted plate

input collar    T-85C-6

Spacer between trans case and tailshaft   R11-8

Solenoid  1119779

Input shaft   1" diameter    6" long    10 spline  

Output shaft  1.37" diameter   16 spline

Length of trans case, spacer and tailhousing  30 3/4"

H1952 stamped next to side cover on the machined surface.

Mark

I should have also asked what sort of machine that this tranny is being installed into?

What we have here Tongue

is a 1956 O.D. slated for installation into a T Bird and some Mercurys.

The T Bird tranny was adapted from the Mercury.

The Ford part # for the yoke you need is

B6S4841-A

Hope this helps

Oldmics

By ejstith - 14 Years Ago
I have 2 T-89's the truck version of the T-85. One has a spicer yolk and the other one has a slip yolk. Mine is broke but it's a 31 spline. It's good to know a C-6 will work. My main problem is I need a 6" input shaft as mine's 6 1/2. I think T-10 stuff may work too. I'd trade my 2 T-89's for one good T-85. One of mine is a short tail shaft and the other one is a long tail shaft. One is basically a parts tranny and the sun gears are shot ..
By Mark T - 14 Years Ago
Thanks Oldmics.

I was going to install it in my '55 Sunliner but I've desided to use it in my '29 Model A Roadster behind a Y-Block.

What numbers indicate 1956?

Just the fact that the R11-1 E and also the R11-1 H were 1956 installs only for both the Merc and T Bird according to my documentation.

Oldmics

By Mark T - 14 Years Ago
Thank you very much...Mark
In fact I'd trade them for a good T-86 that would bolt right in ..
By Daniel Jessup - 14 Years Ago
To anyone interested, I just received a yoke (from a C6) for my T85 (passenger car) and it fits perfect.

ebay item #190296112754

Here are the numbers...

These are new slip yokes for Ford C-6 transmissions,

they have been sandblasted and sprayed with a rust preventive coating.

2-3-3131X

1310 Series u-joint

1.390" 30 based on 31 spline

1.685" ground hub diameter

1.150" counterbore

6 9/16" U-joint center to end

After a gift certificate from paypal, I paid a little less than $10 altogether. This is a nice piece.

By Mark T - 14 Years Ago
I just check Ebay for a 16 spline yoke and found one for a Fordomatic, so I check my Ford Chassis Parts catalog to see if it would interchange with my Heavy duty 3 speed OD "T-85" and sure enough the Fordomatic and the heavy duty 3 speed have the same part number. can anyone verify this? 
What p/n are you talking about. 49-55 used the same Yoke except for the police intercepter. 56 was still 16 spline,but some used a Spicer joint and some a Mechanics. I have a Hollander for those years and they are pretty good in showing what fit in the real world.
You absolutly have to measure the outside diameter of the yoke.

16 spline came in two different sizes.

The one you need is 1.685 on the outside.There is also a 1.498 size that will not fit.

Ask the seller to measure the O.D. for you.

Oldmics

By Mark T - 14 Years Ago
Oldmics (1/22/2010)
You absolutly have to measure the outside diameter of the yoke.

16 spline came in two different sizes.

The one you need is 1.685 on the outside.There is also a 1.498 size that will not fit.

Ask the seller to measure the O.D. for you.

Oldmics

Thanks Oldmics, thats what I needed to know.  Did any of the Fordomatics use the larger size? The one on ebay is listed as a Fordomatic yoke.

If the one listed was in better condition I would as him what size it is but its a little to rusty for me, looks like its been outside for awhile. 

By Mark T - 14 Years Ago
crenwelge (1/21/2010)
What p/n are you talking about. 49-55 used the same Yoke except for the police intercepter. 56 was still 16 spline,but some used a Spicer joint and some a Mechanics. I have a Hollander for those years and they are pretty good in showing what fit in the real world.

I've been told that I need part #B6S4841-A.  I'm only guessing but I would say that the transmission that I have would been considered a Police intercepter since its the Heavy duty 3 speed with overdrive, also used in T-birds and Mercury's.

In my Ford book, for some reason, that p/n has no dimensions. However the Hollander says its 16 splines, 57 pass and PI with OD, 57 SW with od or Fordo, 57 Fairlane with super charger, 55-57 Merc, 56 bird with Od or Fordo, 57 Bird with od. Its not anything I have in any of my parts cars, but at least its not a 1 year, 1 model thing. I have Hollander from about 1950 to the 80's, but I think that is about the only application for that PN.
I did what OldMic said and got one of those $30.00 yolks for a C-6. Slid right in there. Now I need a 6" input shaft and and '57 up speedometer cable and housing, overdrive handle and cable and I'm ready to go (with probably some driveshaft work). What is the deal of the pilot bushing? I assume one for a T-85 is bigger than a T-86 but I also assume one out of any Y-block with the right hole will fit.
I would have swore I saw on here, or somewhere, that one needed to use a '57 up speedometer housing and cable if using a T-85 transmission. On Tbird Products they list the cable and housing the same for a '55 to a '57? What's up with that? Do it or Don't it?
The input shaft is going to be tough. You not only need the correct length, but you need the same tooth count on the input shaft so it meshes with the cluster gear and the same number of sliding clutch teeth. Finding the correct pilot bearing will be the easiest of your problems. Have you posted the casting number of the transmission you have? I suppose you are trying to put it in your 55 or 56.
yeah that's the idea. I've been messing with this for over a year. I guess at last resort I could get that input shaft cut down to 6" and have the splines cut down too. It has 10 splines with is not much concern because one should be able to get a 10 1/2 inch clutch disk with the same splines as the input shaft. T-bird has the input shafts but they are really proud of them. I think I could get this one cut down for less than that. Then there's the speedo cable. T-bird has them too along with the OD shaft and lever.