Profile Picture

what yokes fit a T-85 overdrive transmission?

Posted By Mark T 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I have a T-85 OD that I'm planning to put behind my Y-Block but I'm missing the driveshaft yoke. What year yokes will interchange?  Thanks..Mark
Oldmics
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
First question would be

"How many splines are on the output"?

Oldmics

Ted
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
If the output shaft is 31 splines, then the yoke from a C6 automatic transmission will work.  I used one from a C6 that was behind a 352 which had the smaller ujoint (1310 series).  Many of the 390 equipped C6’s had a larger u-joint or a crossover u-joint (two different length crosses) which is fine depending upon what the driveshaft is requiring.  There are also some crossover ujoints available with two different size crosses that allows some additional interchangability.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Mark T
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)Supercharged (93 reputation)

I'm pretty sure I counted 16 splines.
speedpro56
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Check with some of the tbird parts houses, they get them at times for heavy duty T85s and keep an eye on ebay. The 31 splines you can still get new. The 16 splines can be tuff but their out there.

-Gary Burnette-

Mark T
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

What spline count does the light duty t-86 have?  How about the '55-'56 automatic transmissions? 
crenwelge
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)Supercharged (512 reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
The T86 in 55 and 56 used 16 spline with a 1.036 spline diameter. The same as a 3 speed without O/D for those years. The 57 and later used a 28 or a 31 spline. 28 spline was usually on a T86 of 57 or later.

Kenneth

Fredricksburg, Texas
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
When Pegleg needed a 16 spline yoke for his T85, his local driveline shop couldn't get one.  I checked my local shop, same story.  But the (late) owner of my local shop said he could take a truck yoke, the kind used on two piece driveshafts and unfinished OD, and turn the OD down to the 1 11/16 diameter to fit the bushing.  Worked fine, but Pegleg had to buy the new yoke and pay for turning it down.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Mark T
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

So the T-85 and T-86, with or without overdrive used a 16 spline yoke?
Oldmics
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
The T 85 is the transmission designation.

You then have to add in the tailshaft consideration-in the case of the O.D. unit its an R11.

Your concern is to get a driveshaft yoke for a T 85 O.D. transmission with an R11 tailshaft.

The T85 transmission with the O.D. and the R11 tailshaft came in both spline counts of 31 and 16 depending on what year it was built, application and as to what it was installed into.

Best to measure the outer size of the tailshaft spline and start from there.

If you give me the outer size I can give you the Ford part number (its in the book) but then you will still have to find the actual part.

I just got one from eBay for $30.00 but it was a crap shoot for me since I did not know weather it was going to fit since the measurements were not listed in the add.

I will have to look regarding the fit to the T86 trans and report back.

Also can you post the rest of the information (numbers) on the tailshaft.It decrees length of the tailshaft and I want to compleatly understand what you have. Hehe

Oldmics

Reading This Topic

Site Meter