Profile Picture

TIMING CHAINS: Roller or Link?

Posted By simplyconnected 15 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
KULTULZ.  Yes, I see advantage to using the oil trough for directing the oil onto the gear which in turn distributes the oil onto the chain assembly.

Unfortunately, my understanding is that the oil trough was only originally installed on production y-blocks in model years 1955 and 1956.  I've sourced several of these in the past from discarded engines.  The trough was originally secured to the engine block by a pan head machine screw.  As I write this, I forget the thread size.  Drilling and tapping the single hole in the correct block location is easily accomplished.  Personally, I use medium strength blue Loctite when installing the single screw.  Most would likely agree that isn't needed, but  . . .

Remember, the bean counters grilled the engineers and determined that the camshaft counterweight, the sheet metal oil deflection trays under the rocker arm shafts, and the timing chain oil trough were not necessary for the y-block engine beginning with 1957 year production.  Happily, the engineers had data from the field by 1959 to determine that there were enough blocks with cracks in the crankshaft main bearing webbing that it was important to increase the length of the bolts used to secure the main bearing caps to avoid having to replace the engine blocks when rebuilding.  Rest assured that the change in y-block engine production cost FoMoCo some change . . .  Smile   

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
... my understanding is that the oil trough was only originally installed on production y-blocks in model years 1955 and 1956.  I've sourced several of these in the past from discarded engines.  The trough was originally secured to the engine block by a pan head machine screw.  As I write this, I forget the thread size.  Drilling and tapping the single hole in the correct block location is easily accomplished.  Personally, I use medium strength blue Loctite when installing the single screw.  Most would likely agree that isn't needed, but  . . .

The delete was part of the valve-train redesign(s) in 1956. It seems to me it would still be needed to direct oil to the chain rather than allowing it to just drop to the crank gear, especially with the modification TED EATON describes. Same as the upper oil deflectors being needed, especially if the rocker arm shafts are pressurized.

I swear TED had either an article or offered the trough retro-fit.

THANX! for the reply.

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Greetings to all:  About 5-6 yeas ago when I refreshed my 64 292 with new cam, lifters, link timing chain assembly, I added the trough. Pressurizing the oil system with a modified distributor shaft and drill motor showed how the oil flowed from cylinder drain holes to lower sprocket. I would describe the quantity of oil from the trough like this:  Opening a faucet just beyond a drip. Like, a small but healthy steady stream. It showed the trough provides a beneficial role in directing a sufficient flow where needed to lube the timing chain assembly. The rockers were semi pressurized by pinching off the overflow tubes about 50% or so. I actually shot a video of all this and if I was good enough with this computer I would provide it here for all to see. I don't believe the video can be "placed" in this site like a picture. Maybe after a few suggestions I'll try it. The 7mb video is not super quality but does show the true functionality of the trough.

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
KULTULZ (11/1/2019)

... my understanding is that the oil trough was only originally installed on production y-blocks in model years 1955 and 1956.  I've sourced several of these in the past from discarded engines.  The trough was originally secured to the engine block by a pan head machine screw.  As I write this, I forget the thread size.  Drilling and tapping the single hole in the correct block location is easily accomplished.  Personally, I use medium strength blue Loctite when installing the single screw.  Most would likely agree that isn't needed, but  . . .

The delete was part of the valve-train redesign(s) in 1956. It seems to me it would still be needed to direct oil to the chain rather than allowing it to just drop to the crank gear, especially with the modification TED EATON describes. Same as the upper oil deflectors being needed, especially if the rocker arm shafts are pressurized.
I swear TED had either an article or offered the trough retro-fit.
THANX! for the reply.

Due to server changes, some of the older and relevant pictures posted earlier in this thread are not being correctly linked which makes them currently unavailable.

Here’s are pictures showing the fixture I made to properly locate the required threaded hole in the block so that the 1954-1956 lower timing gear oil trough can be used.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7d757217-9f8e-465c-b827-5b43.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/aba02637-aaf6-4a50-acf9-f95c.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

THANX! for taking your time to show that ...

jimcar-9
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Thanks Ted :-)

Ted (10/29/2019)
jimcar-9 (10/29/2019)

Just to be clear, the slot in the trust plate will be pointing about 90 degree to the right (seen from the front of the engine)? Right ?

Any direction technically works but 90° to the right (looking from the front) is likely best.

How deep is the slot, in the trust plate, at the edge of the plate ?

0.030”-0.040” deep 

Best regards Jimmy Carlsson, Fagersta (Sweden) Ford F100 1956, 272 , 3 manual with OD
Follow my restoration on http://dinnerhillspeedshop.blogspot.se/
jimcar-9
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)Supercharged (217 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
So what way is the best?

Camshaft thrust plate modification?
OR
Through mod?

Best regards Jimmy

Best regards Jimmy Carlsson, Fagersta (Sweden) Ford F100 1956, 272 , 3 manual with OD
Follow my restoration on http://dinnerhillspeedshop.blogspot.se/
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

So what way is the best?
Camshaft thrust plate modification?
OR
Through mod?[/quote]

Both.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter