Profile Picture

OVERDRIVE PROBLEMS (AGAIN)

Posted By alanfreeman Last Month
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
My '54 Ford is still using 6 volts.   I had a lot of difficulty getting the overdrive working when I first put this car together, but I finally got it to work.    It worked for awhile but then stopped working again.   When bench testing the solenoid, is the plunger supposed to be extended when there is no power to it and retract when powered?  Mine works just the opposite as the plunger extends when I apply power to the blue wire and ground the case and then retracts when not powered.  I saw online that someone was saying that the plunger retracts when powered but mine does the opposite.  Anyway, the solenoid  plunger moves when bench tested but when I install it and tighten the mounting flange nothing happens when I put power to it.  However, if I loosen the two flange bolts to hand tight only, the solenoid clicks when power is applied!  I know this sounds weird but that is what it is doing.  Can anyone help me figure out the problem?  Thanks

Threaded View

Threaded View
Forum Post OVERDRIVE PROBLEMS (AGAIN) By alanfreeman ( Last Month )
Forum Post See if this gives any help -... By KULTULZ ( Last Month )
Forum Post I have that O.D. Manual but it doesn't specify exactly how the plunger... By alanfreeman ( Last Month )
Forum Post Your solenoid is correct, the plunger should extend when power is... By Hoosier Hurricane ( Last Month )
Forum Post Alan, are you getting the solenoid shaft properly engaged on the pawl?... By miker ( Last Month )
Forum Post Yes, it seems like the only way to engage the pawl in the trans is to... By alanfreeman ( Last Month )
Forum Post That second wire goes to the kickdown switch, and has something to do... By miker ( Last Month )
Forum Post ... hhmpf ... See if this helps -... By KULTULZ ( Last Month )
Forum Post I am still having the same problem with my overdrive solenoid. It... By alanfreeman ( Last Month )
Forum Post It might be that the pullin coil is not functioning but the holding... By FORD DEARBORN ( Last Month )
Forum Post [quote][b]alanfreeman (9/27/2024)[/b][hr] I am still having the... By DANIEL TINDER ( Last Month )
Forum Post Thanks Dearborn and Daniel. What you are saying makes perfect sense.... By alanfreeman ( Last Month )
Forum Post Allen I get it, you just want to put this problem to bed for good.... By FORD DEARBORN ( Last Month )
Forum Post PM sent. Thanks Ford Dearborn!!! By alanfreeman ( Last Month )
Forum Post Allen, I replied to your PM. By FORD DEARBORN ( Last Month )
Forum Post I now have a working OD solenoid that I removed from another one of my... By alanfreeman ( Last Week )
Forum Post I believe the handle on the dash should be pushed in, that is, the OD... By FORD DEARBORN ( Last Week )
Forum Post Greetings to all - I need to correct an incorrect statement: "I will... By FORD DEARBORN ( Last Week )

Reading This Topic

Site Meter