Profile Picture

OVERDRIVE PROBLEMS (AGAIN)

Posted By alanfreeman Last Month
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 32 minutes ago
My '54 Ford is still using 6 volts.   I had a lot of difficulty getting the overdrive working when I first put this car together, but I finally got it to work.    It worked for awhile but then stopped working again.   When bench testing the solenoid, is the plunger supposed to be extended when there is no power to it and retract when powered?  Mine works just the opposite as the plunger extends when I apply power to the blue wire and ground the case and then retracts when not powered.  I saw online that someone was saying that the plunger retracts when powered but mine does the opposite.  Anyway, the solenoid  plunger moves when bench tested but when I install it and tighten the mounting flange nothing happens when I put power to it.  However, if I loosen the two flange bolts to hand tight only, the solenoid clicks when power is applied!  I know this sounds weird but that is what it is doing.  Can anyone help me figure out the problem?  Thanks
KULTULZ
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
See if this gives any help -

https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/TechData/BWOverdriveManual.pdf

alanfreeman
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)

I have that O.D. Manual but it doesn't specify exactly how the plunger works. 
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 minute ago
Your solenoid is correct, the plunger should extend when power is applied.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
miker
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Alan, are you getting the solenoid shaft properly engaged on the pawl? I know from experience that can be a problem.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
alanfreeman
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yes, it seems like the only way to engage the pawl in the trans is to put current to it and extend the plunger while installing it so I know that is not the problem.  It makes no sense that the solenoid will work with the flange loose but not when I tighten it.  There are blue and orange wires coming out from the solenoid.  The only wire which activates the solenoid is the blue wire.  What is the orange wire for?
miker
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
That second wire goes to the kickdown switch, and has something to do with the grounding/ungrounding of the points I think. The manual K posted the link to shows the wiring, but not the contacts in the switch. I never really understood how it worked, it just did. Magic.

Last resort call Mac at Van Pelt Sales. They sell most of the replacement parts, and he’s very good with the overdrives. Maybe he’s seen it before.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
KULTULZ
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)Supercharged (3.7K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
... hhmpf ...

See if this helps - https://fifthaveinternetgarage.blogspot.com/2015/10/borg-warner-r-10-r-11-tech-tips.html

alanfreeman
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I am still having the same problem with my overdrive solenoid.  It works when bench tested.  However, when I install it and tighten it down it doesn't click when power is applied to the blue wire.  I know that I installed it correctly in the trans pawl as before installing the mounting bolts I turned it to the correct position and I could feel the plunger engaged and I could not pull the solenoid straight out.  However, if I back the two mounting bolts out and loosen the solenoid it then works when power is applied.  This really makes no sense to me but I am at the point where it looks like I will just have to invest in a new solenoid.  Any more suggestions?  
FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
It might be that the pullin coil is not functioning but the holding coil is. When the solenoid is on the bench the holding coil is supplying enough force to extend the plunger. The pullin coil is grounded through a contact within the solenoid itself and that contact could be simply dirty or oily etc..  I assume this is a 6V coil. Normally, with a digital ohm meter there should be a very low reading through the blue wire. Something like .3 ohms. A 6V coil should be about 4 to 5 ohms through the holding coil. If you measure through the blue witre with one probe and the other probe on the solenoid frame and get aprox. 4 to 5 ohms , then that would prove the pullin coil in not functioning. Just one possibility since the O/D was working good, then failing intermittently until complete failure. If you should get into the solenoid and find the pullin coil is bad or the contact is toast, I would be glad to pass on a "parts" solenoid to you. Hope this helps and good luck....

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter