Profile Picture

Really dumb fuel pump question...

Posted By Deyomatic Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
What drives the fuel pump on a Y Block?  Does the pump arm ride on the cam or is there a pushrod or something?  I can't picture it and none of my reference material is helping out, much.  

55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
There is a fuel-pump eccentric that is attached in front of the camshaft gear. The mechanical-fuel-pump arm is inserted through the timing cover and goes under the eccentric. As the eccentric rotates, it applies pressure to the arm, pretty much the same way as the water hand pumps that you see in old movies. Sadly, "The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handle." Thank Bob Dylan for the quote. 
paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

When inserting the pump arm, make sure it is going in at a downward angle so it goes under the eccentric. Additionally, I understand that it is easier to bolt up if the engine is at top dead center and the eccentric is it it's low point on the bottom.

I usually just stuck my finder in the hole and rotated the engine to get the eccentric where I wanted it.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Deyomatic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)

That makes sense.  Thanks so much.  My only experience is on...well...another brand of V8.  

..and thanks for the quote... I appreciate Bob Dylan more than you can imagine.  My first concert was Bob Dylan 1997- as a freshman in college.  In all I saw him 12 times before my concert going days fell by the wayside.  
KULTULZ
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Really dumb fuel pump question...

Deyomatic (12/16/2023)

What drives the fuel pump on a Y Block?  Does the pump arm ride on the cam or is there a pushrod or something?  I can't picture it and none of my reference material is helping out, much.

First off, there is no dumb question (other than my asking my little thumbscrew to marry me). How else would you learn?

LYB FUEL PUMP ECCENTRIC - BASIC PN 6281

It rides on the front cam journal.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b41e3f28-efaf-4c4c-b9f3-c28f.png

Deyomatic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the visual, Kultulz.  That helps my brain picture this.  
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Here are some pictures showing the fuel pump eccentric on the FYB engines.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b203e68f-73c6-4480-bd76-a979.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b7da0aa5-77a2-4f0f-9189-e919.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5e0e4fbf-f1ec-4659-97a1-2dd3.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/cbb1699c-83f4-4ecc-8b42-575c.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

panel driver
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
55Blacktie  No No No It ain't me babe.  

Located in Harford County Maryland 
KULTULZ
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

I must have LYB SYNDROME. Time to call the HOME for a reservation ... Sad

Does the pump arm ride on the cam or is there a pushrod ...

We have a BOW-TIE GUY in our midst ... Wink

Deyomatic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

[/quote]

We have a BOW-TIE GUY in our midst ... Wink

[/quote]
FORMER Bow-tie guy!  Not against them, and I fully understand why people love them...but variety is nice.  

And thanks for the photos, Ted...VERY helpful.  

Reading This Topic

Site Meter