Really dumb fuel pump question...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic165607.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Deyomatic - Last Year
What drives the fuel pump on a Y Block?  Does the pump arm ride on the cam or is there a pushrod or something?  I can't picture it and none of my reference material is helping out, much.  

By 55blacktie - Last Year
There is a fuel-pump eccentric that is attached in front of the camshaft gear. The mechanical-fuel-pump arm is inserted through the timing cover and goes under the eccentric. As the eccentric rotates, it applies pressure to the arm, pretty much the same way as the water hand pumps that you see in old movies. Sadly, "The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handle." Thank Bob Dylan for the quote. 
By paul2748 - Last Year
When inserting the pump arm, make sure it is going in at a downward angle so it goes under the eccentric. Additionally, I understand that it is easier to bolt up if the engine is at top dead center and the eccentric is it it's low point on the bottom.

I usually just stuck my finder in the hole and rotated the engine to get the eccentric where I wanted it.
By Deyomatic - Last Year
That makes sense.  Thanks so much.  My only experience is on...well...another brand of V8.  

..and thanks for the quote... I appreciate Bob Dylan more than you can imagine.  My first concert was Bob Dylan 1997- as a freshman in college.  In all I saw him 12 times before my concert going days fell by the wayside.  
By KULTULZ - Last Year
Really dumb fuel pump question...

Deyomatic (12/16/2023)

What drives the fuel pump on a Y Block?  Does the pump arm ride on the cam or is there a pushrod or something?  I can't picture it and none of my reference material is helping out, much.

First off, there is no dumb question (other than my asking my little thumbscrew to marry me). How else would you learn?

LYB FUEL PUMP ECCENTRIC - BASIC PN 6281

It rides on the front cam journal.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b41e3f28-efaf-4c4c-b9f3-c28f.png

By Deyomatic - Last Year
Thanks for the visual, Kultulz.  That helps my brain picture this.  
By Ted - Last Year
Here are some pictures showing the fuel pump eccentric on the FYB engines.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b203e68f-73c6-4480-bd76-a979.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b7da0aa5-77a2-4f0f-9189-e919.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5e0e4fbf-f1ec-4659-97a1-2dd3.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/cbb1699c-83f4-4ecc-8b42-575c.jpg 
By panel driver - Last Year
55Blacktie  No No No It ain't me babe.  
By KULTULZ - Last Year

I must have LYB SYNDROME. Time to call the HOME for a reservation ... Sad

Does the pump arm ride on the cam or is there a pushrod ...

We have a BOW-TIE GUY in our midst ... Wink

By Deyomatic - Last Year
[/quote]

We have a BOW-TIE GUY in our midst ... Wink

[/quote]
FORMER Bow-tie guy!  Not against them, and I fully understand why people love them...but variety is nice.  

And thanks for the photos, Ted...VERY helpful.  
By KULTULZ - Last Year
"FORMER Bow-tie guy!"

I'm glad you saw the light ...

NAH! I am just funnin' with 'ya ...

I became obsessed with the 305/350 TPI at one time, but I sought professional help before buying one.

The SBC is a wonder, I will give them that.
By Deyomatic - Last Year
Well, if I'm being honest....I kind of love hydraulic lifters!
By KULTULZ - Last Year
I also prefer hydraulic tappets (roller - anti-pump up and adjustable) on a street engine.
By FORD DEARBORN - Last Year
Hard to beat the awesome sound of our solid lifter Y-blocks or a 289 High Performance.
By KULTULZ - Last Year
"Hard to beat the awesome sound of our solid lifter Y-blocks or a 289 High Performance."

Correct you are, but ...

There are 'special situations/occasions' where one desires to sneak up on the competition with stealth ...  

You perform your 'show me what you have' (under hood check), the install looks OEM and there is no excessive mechanical noise and then you proceed from there.

Can hide a lot of events in a roller.
Fnding quality hydraulic lifters, whether flat-tappet or roller, can be a problem. 
By Deyomatic - Last Year
Yes...They sound great...but I'm lazy!  I also don't like having to risk leaky valve covers every few thousand miles.  
You shouldn't have to adjust the valves every few thousand miles. 
By Deyomatic - Last Year
How often are you supposed to do it?  I was thinking every 10,000 miles or so?
By Ted - Last Year
Deyomatic (12/24/2023)
How often are you supposed to do it?  I was thinking every 10,000 miles or so?

Probably a bit of overkill but a 10K interval for setting the valve lash would be okay.  That would coincide with the old once a year tune-up interval back when those cars were daily drivers and were also in need a set of spark plugs and points.  Unless the car is a daily driver, then the valve lash adjustment could potentially be put on a two or three year interval rather than a mileage interval.

I check the valve lash at 40K mile intervals on my’55 Customline with its 272 Y.  That coincides with when I change out the spark plugs for new ones.  Electronic ignition has made the old 10K tune-up intervals sort of a moot point and definitely overkill.  The last time that spark plug change interval came up, the valve lash was checked but needed no changes so unless I hear something going on under the valve covers, they will not be checked again until the next spark plug change interval.  The car currently has 335K miles on it while the engine has 223K miles on it since the rebuild and the addition of the E4 Isky camshaft.

This is just the way I do it on my own Y so don’t let this be the final word on the subject.

Good morning, Ted. What plugs are you using with the electronic ignition? 
By Deyomatic - Last Year
Well then.  Thanks for that write up Ted.  Looks like I'll be waiting a few more years before checking them again.  
By Ted - Last Year
55blacktie (12/25/2023)
Good morning, Ted. What plugs are you using with the electronic ignition? 

I use the same spark plugs as is being used on a breaker point ignition.  For the ’55 Ford with the electronic ignition conversion, I have been using the Autolite #46 spark plugs gapped at 0.035”.

I am slowly moving away from Autolite to NGK on the shop built engines due to having a better heat range selection with the NGK’s as well as having some brand new Autolites not firing from the git go.  The Autolites have been coming from both Mexico and China but it is the China made Autolite spark plugs that I have had trouble with.  It seems to be potluck at the parts store on which country of origin the Autolite spark plugs are from.  I now do a mandatory ohm check on the new spark plugs before installing them.

By KULTULZ - Last Year
"I am slowly moving away from Autolite to NGK on the shop built engines due to having a better heat range selection with the NGK’s as well as having some brand new Autolites not firing from the git go.  The Autolites have been coming from both Mexico and China but it is the China made Autolite spark plugs that I have had trouble with.  It seems to be potluck at the parts store on which country of origin the Autolite spark plugs are from.  I now do a mandatory ohm check on the new spark plugs before installing them."

THANX! FOR THAT INFO TED ...
What do you think of NGK 2438 plugs?
By Ted - Last Year
55blacktie (12/26/2023)
What do you think of NGK 2438 plugs?

I have used the NGK 2438 18mm spark plugs in a stock but blueprinted Ford Y engine and they worked just fine and held up well over time.  That engine had electronic ignition which helps with the overall life of the spark plugs.  That same NGK spark plug has also been used successfully in a stock iron headed 390 Ford engine also with electronic ignition.  The only issue I have with the 2438 NGK sparkplugs is that it’s a 'fit all' spark plug and only available in one heat range.  For a performance Ford application requiring a 18mm plug, a colder heat range spark plug would be desired.
By Hoosier Hurricane - Last Year
How did we get from fuel pumps to spark plugs on this message?
By 2721955meteor - Last Year
55blacktie (12/24/2023)
You shouldn't have to adjust the valves every few thousand miles.