Profile Picture

Valley Cover...Time for a PCV

Posted By Deyomatic 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I know there are tons of threads on putting a PCV on the Y block but I'm not having luck with the search feature...

I'll be replacing head gasket(s) this winter (only one is leaking...Should I do both?).

The valley cover on the '59 292 in my Model A has no provision for a PCV.  Nothing on Ebay right now.  Do I want to just modify the one I have and if so, any suggestions on making a baffle so the oil doesn't get sucked into the carb?  I found some Moroso brand grommets with built in baffles but I don't know how well they'd work...one of the reviews all but confirmed my concerns.

Thanks.

miker
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
If you’re pulling a head, the valley cover is a piece of cake. Here’s the link to when you asked that almost a year ago.

I don’t usually have much luck with the search function either, got lucky this time.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic159705.aspx

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Deleted due to better installations and available stock parts.

If using a screw in PCV valve to the base of the carb or intake; a Standard V100 works correctly in that direction. It is the replacement for Ford and GM cars for that era. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
KULTULZ
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
The only true way (IMO) to fashion a functioning FYB PCV SYSTEM without opening the rocker cover(s), is to use the OEM setup as was used on the 1961-62 FORD/MERC PASS CAR (2V) or 1961-64 292 TRUCK (2V/4V) The 4V is preferable but the 2V SYSTEM can be modified. 

The shield under the rear of the valley cover is a SPLASH SHIELD designed to deflect oil splash from the DIST DRIVE. This will not prevent ingestion of fumes/mist into the PCV SYSTEM. The bell shaped adapter (baffle) is designed to do that along with the long metal cooling tube (allows vapor(s) to cool and drop back down.

The front baffle on the valley pan is also needed to direct ventilation draw to the rocker arm areas.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/de190c47-d704-4ea8-9add-055d.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/189ae07b-b00f-475f-897c-071a.jpg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/15431111-2011-4aef-8393-bd15.jpg
These setups shouldn't be that hard to find as farmers are still using old trucks or have then sitting in the yard.

CASCO advertises being able to modify and early pan to PCV/late ROAD DRAFT. Have no idea of the quality.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4e0e5492-2cba-429c-b8ea-8e9f.png

Richard
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month

I have a nice valley pan with pcv valve. Worked great on my 312. I replaced it with blue Thunder.
$80 plus shipping pm me if interested.  I did drill small holes on the gasket area for sheet metal screws for tighter leak proof fit.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2bd68702-1828-40d1-a6d1-342.jpeg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f90af7ea-4df0-429d-a297-7b8.jpeg

charliemccraney
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I have baffled grommets in the valve covers.  They work well in that location.

There was a problem with them where a thin layer of rubber blocked the opening of the baffle.  That had to be removed with a razor.

I don't know that I would use grommets in a drilled sheet metal cover.  I'd be concerned that the thin metal might cut into the grommet.   But in thicker materials, like a cast cover or proper sheet metal flange, it will work well.

Lawrenceville, GA
Richard
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Respectfully Please help me understand. The sheet metal screws go around the valley pan perimeter and have nothing to do with the baffling for the pcv.  It never caused a problem nor did it leak. 
Thank you,
Richard
Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)

KULTULZ,
What's the difference between the 2V and 4V?  How does the 2V need to be modified?  I can't imagine why they'd even be different.  Another "Better Idea," no doubt!
DryLakesRacer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I’m guessing it’s how the vapor would mix in the intake. Ford engineers must have felt the front was better for the 2V and better under the 4V or cheaper to manufacture which is always the most important. Notice today that aftermarket carburetors have a hose fitting on the front for the most part. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

So the one I want has the PCV hole in the rear of the cover, as opposed to the front?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter