Profile Picture

Another PCV Question...

Posted By Deyomatic 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 hours ago
I see where the preferred method is to block off the Road Draft tube and drill a hole in the lifter valley cover...if you didn't feel like taking off the intake and lifter valley cover is it possible to remove the road draft tube and fabricate a cover (you would have done that anyway) with an elbow sticking up and run a grommet and PCV in that?  Would it suck in oil when you went around a corner?

Just curious.
Florida_Phil
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
My '55 Thunderbird had a rear down draft tube that screwed into a hole with a grommet in the rear of the valley pan. I'm not sure if all valley pans had this?  The hole in the valley pan has a metal shield to keep the oil from coming out.  The Casco PVC kit replaces the down draft tube with a PCV valve.  It comes with a rubber grommet to seal the valve.  It also comes with a carburetor plate and a hose to connect to the PCV.  It works great and eliminated most of my engine oil leaks.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c654388c-5c58-4383-9da3-3190.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
This post has been flagged as an answer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
If you are talking about the road draft tube located at the lower left side of the block, then using that block opening for a PCV valve is not recommended.  There's too much oil splash at that location as well as being too low on the engine.  The best location for a PCV is at the top of the engine where cold start moisture and contaminants will tend to gather.  Here are past links to discussions about PCV valves.

Blocking off the road draft tube
Crankcase evacuation
Finned valley pan and PCV valve installation  
Header evacuation system
Installation of PCV valve into the top of the block
Installation of PCV valve at top and rear of block 2 
Modifying valve covers for PCV valve installation
Valley pan PCV valve install 1
Valley pan PCV valve install 2
Valley pan PCV valve install 3
Valve cover baffle for PCV valve 
Why a PCV valve or system?
Why the PCV must be at the top

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)Supercharged (618 reputation)

Thank you very much, Ted.  I figured there was a reason.  
312YBlock
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

I have the PCV valve installed in the valley pan as Phil does, over time some oil is sucked up into the hose and eventually rots it. I’m going to try inserting it 1/2 way into the valley pan gasket and see if that helps.

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

312- What is rotting away?  The hose, the PCV, or the grommet?  
312YBlock
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

The rubber hose, it’s oil soaked.

Deyomatic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I wonder if you can use a hose of a different material...maybe fuel injection hose would last longer.  A lot of tranny coolers use rubber hoses.  Whatever they're made of might be good.  
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
If the location where the PCV valve is located is baffled correctly, there should be no oil at the PCV valve and/or the hose going back to the carburetor or intake vacuum source.  I use the 1958 and newer valley covers (similar to the 1955-1957 Thunderbird valley covers) and those are baffled sufficiently from the factory as to prevent any oil reaching the PCV valve when those engines are converted from a road draft tube to a PCV valve system.  Zero issues on my end with oil going into the PCV valves and/or the hoses.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

312YBlock
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Good info Ted, thanks.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter