Profile Picture

55 California pcv system

Posted By fast freddy 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Today @ 2:39:34 AM
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3c868d09-092e-405a-9284-850d.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/09282a63-640c-4cb8-8959-ae0d.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/24da98ce-4fe4-4e11-ab6f-b458.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b701d667-f75f-41f9-a13a-0a2c.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fcafd6e3-b25e-410a-a189-fb9d.jpg
fast freddy
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)Normally aspirated (31 reputation)

This is the system on my 55 from California , must be there first attempt at pcv , but there is no pcv valve in the system .. My canister is like the road draft tube but the downward tube is folded over to seal off . It leaks oil badly and I want to come up with another idea maybe using the same idea with different canister set up   and put a pcv valve in it .. whats your thoughts ?   Fred ... I think its kinda cool that it has this California feature but dont want the oil leak
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
For any PCV valve system, the air being pulled off of the engine does need to come from an upper area of the engine where moisture or vapor will tend to accumulate.  Valve covers and valley covers are the logical choices for many engines.  Pulling the air from the lower down draft tube area of the engine will have a tendency to pick up more oil than you’ll find if doing the same ‘pull off’ at an upper part of the engine.

Here are some past links regarding PCV valve systems.

Blocking off the road draft tube
Crankcase evacuation
Finned valley pan and PCV valve installation 
Header evacuation system
Installation of PCV valve into the top of the block
Installation of PCV valve at top and rear of block 2 
Modifying valve covers for PCV valve installation
Valley pan PCV valve installation 1
Valley pan PCV valve installation 2
Valve cover baffle for PCV valve 
Why a PCV valve or system?
Why the PCV must be at the top

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

fast freddy
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

thanks Ted , I'll look at those posts   Fred
57RancheroJim
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
This was a typical aftermarket add on, they were required when ownership changed or you couldn't register it. Your draft tube is probably crimped over or have a rubber plug. I think the PCV valve is screwed into the brass fitting.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/916d032b-d597-4932-a2d1-5228.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Always wondered it this would work. I see no reason it would not because the can had a oil drain back. Kind of a pain but if you still had the stock 54-60 valley pan it would do the job. I would have added a3/8” pipe 90* to the intake or under the carb and used a V100 PCV valve which works in the direction of the threads and added a hose barb to the side vent breather top. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
KULTULZ
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Always wondered it this would work. I see no reason it would not because the can had a oil drain back. Kind of a pain but if you still had the stock 54-60 valley pan it would do the job. I would have added a3/8” pipe 90* to the intake or under the carb and used a V100 PCV valve which works in the direction of the threads and added a hose barb to the side vent breather top.      

It will work (it was CA approved), but not as well as the 1961/ OEM design or the improved 1965/ rocker cover design.

IMO - As mentioned, the actual valve should be at the vacuum source to hopefully allow the fumes to cool and drop back down the intake tube to the crankcase breather assy. The crankcase filter along with the valve would have to be serviced on a regular basis, make sure the drain-back tube remains open (good quality oil), and would have to keep an eye on any oil ingestion.

Block off the road draft tube with a core plug.

fast freddy
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

So Kultulz on my engine I should be able to put a pcv valve in one of the valve covers,  block off the original road draft  and be good to go because the oil filler cap to air cleaner will supply the other half of the system (intake) .Which side valve cover would you recomend , front or rear , or it doesn't matter  thanks Fred
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
fast freddy (11/15/2021)
So Kultulz on my engine I should be able to put a pcv valve in one of the valve covers, block off the original road draft, and be good to go because the oil filler cap to air cleaner will supply the other half of the system (intake). Which side valve cover would you recommend, front or rear, or does it matter?  Thanks, Fred

For any PCV valve system, you will want the longest path possible from the air inlet to the air outlet.  The OEM’s for many engines accomplished this by having the inlet air to the crankcase on one valve cover and the outlet or PCV valve end of the equation on the opposite valve cover or the valley cover.

For the Ford Y, I use the 1958-1964 valley covers that already have the necessary hole and baffle at the back of them.  Here’s a pic.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/27a76c94-43ad-4ffd-93cf-3882.jpg  

If going for a valve cover that was not originally designed for a PCV valve, then you’ll need to position that valve between the rockers and ideally install some kind of baffle that prevents oil from spraying or misting directly on the valve.   For the Y, the valve is best located at the rear.  Here’s a picture of the Blue Thunder valve covers which are made to accommodate PCV valves with baffles on the underside of the cover.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/eecd6da1-e152-43f9-b4b7-a2f3.jpg  

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
As Ted said drawing air thru the engine and having the PVC valve near the source of vacuum (at the carb) works best. I also used a hose to the air cleaner so air being sucked into the system was clean. Stant has a oil fill cap with 1/2” fitting to make this easier. 
Rocker cover to rocker cover is a long path and the PCV valve can be mounted at the carb or base of it. A screw in style of valve is a V100 which is inexpensive and works fine on our engines. A PCV valve works one way and needs to be correct. There is a multi bend 3/8” fuel hose available on e-bay which does help when your making your own system. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter