Profile Picture

2019 Engine Masters Challenge getting close.

Posted By Joe-JDC 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 56 minutes ago
This year, Ted and I are bringing another Y Block to the EMC.  The rules are quite restrictive this time around, and it will be almost pure Ford Y block.  It is a 292 +.062 and the stroke is 3.310" with 113 iron heads at 10.45:1 compression, Mike Jones camshaft with .591", Mummert dual plane intake, BG 930 DP carb, FPA Thunderbird headers, MSD ignition, belt driven water pump, etc.  We have tried several combination of heads, valve sizes, valve springs, carbs, intakes, spacers, etc., and finally think we have a decent little Y for the challenge.  There will be two 327 scrubys, 2 BB scrubys, 2 FEs, 2 Ford 429/460, Stude, Olds, Buick, Pontiac, 413 Chrysler, 289 SBF. and a couple of others I can't recall.  We are scheduled to run 6th on Monday the 30th.  Any guesses for horsepower and torque?  

Joe-JDC
Joe D. Craine

JDC
NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Joe.  Interesting field of diverse engine entrants.  You and Ted have a 301+-ish C.I.D. y-block? 
Best Wishes!  Have a GooD time!   Smile 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
The very best to you guys - awesome!

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Based on the earlier iron headed entries, and what''s been learned since,  I'll guess 450hp and 425ftlbs.

Lawrenceville, GA
Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

charliemccraney (9/26/2019)
Based on the earlier iron headed entries, and what''s been learned since,  I'll guess 450hp and 425ftlbs.

Charlie, there is not any hidden nitrous for that kind of torque!  I wish!  LOL  It is a 292 street engine that can run on pump gas.

Joe-JDC

JDC
Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

NoShortcuts (9/25/2019)
Joe.  Interesting field of diverse engine entrants.  You and Ted have a 301+-ish C.I.D. y-block? 
Best Wishes!  Have a GooD time!   Smile 

It  will be 3.812 x 3.31 for 302.214 cubic inches rounded up to 303 for calculations.  Any fraction of a cubic inch gets rounded up to the next number.  Joe-JDC

JDC
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Is it far off?

For 2007, I don't remember the results, but ted estimated 375ft lbs.  http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2008/03/17/engine-masters-challenge-y-block-entry/ 
For 2009, it was 440s with the heads being a bottleneck and a lot more ci,  http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2010/03/24/a-y-block-at-the-2009-engine-masters-challenge/
Still tough to compare with all of the rule changes between.  Is it over 375ftlbs?  I would at least think an improvement over 2007 since that would be the closest comparison.

Edit:  I see my error.  The 2007 estimate is based on E85, not 91 octane.  What were the results for the very first one to run?  Can't find that anymore.

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
charliemccraney (9/26/2019)
Is it far off?

For 2007, I don't remember the results, but ted estimated 375ft lbs.  http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2008/03/17/engine-masters-challenge-y-block-entry/ 
For 2009, it was 440s with the heads being a bottleneck and a lot more ci,  http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2010/03/24/a-y-block-at-the-2009-engine-masters-challenge/
Still tough to compare with all of the rule changes between.  Is it over 375ftlbs?  I would at least think an improvement over 2007 since that would be the closest comparison.

Edit:  I see my error.  The 2007 estimate is based on E85, not 91 octane.  What were the results for the very first one to run?  Can't find that anymore.

Hate to post any real numbers until after the competition as the other competitors are likely looking to see what the other contestants in the class are doing.  At this point though, it’s doubtful there much last minute changes going on with the engines being crated up and on their way to Ohio.

With all that in mind, I’ll just say over 303 HP and 257 lbs/ft torque.  I’ll post the actual dyno sheets once the competition is concluded.  It will be interesting to see how my DTS dyno compares to the SuperFlow dyno at JE Pistons.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

John Mummert
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Ted  +100          403HP 357TQ ..    You guy ran there last year, how did the numbers compare?

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

It is hard to say how the dynos compare because they had unlimited in the compression ratio rules, and then supplied 100 octane Sunoco GT fuel that detonated 5 of 7 entries before they could establish a horsepower number comparable to the 110 most did their dyno testing with.  I pulled about 4* timing out of my engine, and lost 30 torque, 30 hp instantly, but when adding back timing, I lost my head gaskets, also.  Scott Main seemed to think it was a "bit stingy" compared to his before testing, but he won.  Joe-JDC

JDC

Reading This Topic

Site Meter