Profile Picture

Only left bank burning oil

Posted By Tim Quinn 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Tim Quinn (2/8/2019)
Carl,
Got your email,
need your home address in Circleville so I can send the $$$$$$$$$$
Thanks,
Tim in The Sunshine State

no need for the tubes,just block them off,i tap the stand with 5/16 coarse tap grind the end of a capscrew to a point so it blocks the oil out holds the rocker shaft in place,assures all rockers all valves all push rods get props lube lightens load on cams. (look at the ford fe engines no bleed tubes good life on rocker shafts and vave train ,no sludj accumulates in end of rocker shaft like the ys with bleed tubes that stops lube to valve train farthest from drain tubes. in my opinion the biggest problem with ys is drain tubes and poor maintenance

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
...no need for the tubes,just block them off,

i tap the stand with 5/16 coarse tap grind the end of a capscrew to a point so it blocks the oil out holds the rocker shaft in place,assures all rockers all valves all push rods get props lube lightens load on cams. (look at the ford fe engines no bleed tubes good life on rocker shafts and vave train ,no sludj accumulates in end of rocker shaft like the ys with bleed tubes that stops lube to valve train farthest from drain tubes. in my opinion the biggest problem with ys is drain tubes and poor maintenance

The left cylinder head is flooding and there is no need for the tubes?

The FE had an modified/updated design and it too was not perfect. The FYB tubes has other usage other than bleeding off excessive supply.

The main reason(s) for the FYB oiling/sludge problem(s) (other than poor design) was non-detergent paraffin based oils of the period, lack of maintenance and poor crankcase ventilation.

The main problem here is that no one knows what was done as to upper oil supply and why the tubes were left off.

I think when the Y was on the drawing board, Henry happened to walk by and mentioned that it was to be an OHV engine and not a Flathead. The Rube Goldberg setup reflects this.

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Must have been Henry's ghost that walked by the drawing board.  He died in '47.  I doubt the Y was on the board that early.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

I was being facetious (Latin for a$$-hole)

The whole thing looks to me as - OH SH!AT! We forgot something....

darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

this post has a life of its own.it should set some kind of record on here.
Dobie
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hoosier Hurricane (2/9/2019)
Must have been Henry's ghost that walked by the drawing board.  He died in '47.  I doubt the Y was on the board that early.

I read somewhere, and can't remember where, that the Y-block was in development post war and was supposed to be ready for the '49 model year. For some reason, probably financial as Ford was cash-strapped at the time, it was shuffled to the back burner.
2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

left head flooded as oil went strait up and flooded the cylinders at the end,bled off enough volume so right bank got less.
re fes owned 10 of them 332,352,361 edsel 360 trucks 390,406 428. never had top end issues.
early ys truck and lincoln had diferent source of oil for rockers and had no issues  with to much oil. my present 292 has tubes removed and pluged drrain
holes both sides. with covers off lots of oil going to the correct places,push rods rockers valve train,lower drain to valley at each end of heads easly drains excess oil to timing chain and dist. gears. i have no blue smoke,no excess oil consumption. have not had to re set valves since rebuild. this is my4th y block in 5year period.2 customers, my 57 ranchero,existing 49merc f43 truck with 292 4v all have drain tubes blocked. have some experience with ford engines.also some strong opinions, right or wrong ,but some history. To date have not had a cam isue or il consumption.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

FINAL RESULT -

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic143921.aspx

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The FYB was due for intro in the 1953 model run but was delayed a year due to material shortages as a result of Korea.

2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

agree

Reading This Topic

Site Meter