Profile Picture

Only left bank burning oil

Posted By Tim Quinn 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
2,400 miles since then. Did a compression check, got 179 to 180 on all 4 left bank cylinders. Have the draft tube connected to the carb with a PCV in line. Car fires up right away and runs down the street in a very acceptable manner.
Again, only the left bank burns old when engine is warm.
Any thoughts,
Tim in Florida
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/23a9de5b-d7ad-4ec4-8f37-1fd1.jpg
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Tim Quinn (1/23/2019)
The left bank is burning oil only after the engine is warm. Had the engine rebuilt last May 2018, it has maybehttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/23a9de5b-d7ad-4ec4-8f37-1fd1.jpg 2,400 miles since then. Did a compression check, got 179 to 180 on all 4 left bank cylinders. Have the draft tube connected to the carb with a PCV in line. Car fires up right away and runs down the street in a very acceptable manner.
Again, only the left bank burns old when engine is warm.
Any thoughts,
Tim in Florida

Also,didn't see presence of oil burning.,forgot to mention that all 4 plugs were light coffee in color
cjs1958
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (22 reputation)

I had a overhauled 289 that burned oil on the left bank, It turned out to be the compression rings turned alinging the ends of the rings, but it was very evident in the plugs. I assume you're seeing smoke. How much oil is it using? Are you sure its not water burning, that would be a whiter smoke.
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Could be the valve stem seals were improperly installed on that side and one or two have shifted  allowing oil down the stem . Pull the valve cover and look at the seals through the springs look to see if they have cracked or moved . If you plugs are clean and toasty most likely the oil is going down the valve stem and not making it into the combustion chamber . its just a guess
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
you could also have bad guides on that head.if valve geometry is of they can wear the guides in a hurry.i dont know how bad y blocks are for this.brand x is known for this.just a guess.
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Last Active: Last Year
I agree I think whatever his problem is it is in the head a bad seal or valve guide I doubt if it’s a ring problem
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

BIG THANKS
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'LL LOOK AT THIS.
BIG THANKS
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'LL LOOK AND SEE WHAT I CAN SEE,
THANKS
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

NOT MUCH OIL AT THIS TIME
WE'RE GOING TO DO A BLEED DOWN TEST....PUT 100 PSI OF AIR IN CYLINDER AND GETTING A READING.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter