Profile Picture

Only left bank burning oil

Posted By Tim Quinn 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Carl,
Give me your email address and I'll contact you.
Tim Quinn
email: thquinn11@gmail.com
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

No tube on either bank.
Apparently when the engine was worked on 10 years ago, they didn't put the tubes on either bank.
The car arrived at my address back in August  2016. I drove it for a short time and then had a big time failure...........three lifters broke and all hell broke loose. The car was in a repair shop for all most six months. I got it back in July of 2018 and didn't notice the smoke until my brother, who was following me to Cruise In at the local Quaker Steak and Ale, pointed out the blue smoke. And, I don't drive the car all that often so I didn't notice the puffs of blue smoke.
According to some of the members of "Y-Blocks Forever", the left bank will allow oil to seep into the cylinder head at a greater rate than the right bank. Could be because the oil pump is of the left side.
Anyhow, Carl, one of the members of the Forever Club has been good enough to send me the tubes. After they are installed, I give an update about the problem.
Tim in Florida
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The rate of seepage into the head should be 0 on either side not greater on one side than the other.  Why would the left side be more likely?  The pump has nothing to do with it since both heads get their oil from a cam journal with each being approximately equally as far away from the pump as the other in terms of the oil passages.
The passenger's side tends to loose oil flow sooner since the cam tends to wear into that side of the bearing.  When this happens, there could appear to be more flow to the driver's side but what has really happened is that crud and/or wear has filled / closed the passage, diminishing or preventing flow all together to the passenger's side..

Lawrenceville, GA
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

You are correct, the oil pump has nothing to do with oil to either bank, oil comes from the cam journal ( I'm a half ass shade tree mechanic....my sons call me a FAKE MECHANIC) 
It's a hobby, keeps me out of trouble and makes my wife happy 'cause I not on her case.
Thanks for you input,
Florida's Tim
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
the right side of my 56 back in 69 quit oiling altogether.its the one that usually quits first because it never got as much oil.just the way it works.you didnt tell us about the broken lifters or i missed it.that changes everything.i have a feeling your problems go deeper but you may be ok.time will tell.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
If you didn't get oil to the rockers during the priming operation, then you've got an issue anywhere from the center cam bearing up to the rocker arm shafts. Head gaskets can go either way to get oil up to the shafts so you should be good there. Soft cam bearings and camshafts with an inadequate groove depth are at the top of the list for rocker arms not oiling on a fresh engine build. Ted Eaton. 
           Tedd,Aug 27, 2017

Oil delivery has to be verified before final assembly. The system was an engineering mistake, pure and simple.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/10a52095-d85b-4520-8359-880b.jpg

ADDITIONAL INFO -

When there is a cam bearing issue, the right bank stops oiling first. In all instances, the 3 holes in the center bearing are still aligned with their respective holes. Have never figured out the mechanics of why that happens but it's consistent in that regard; right bank simply stops oiling first. Those cam bearing issues have typically happened within the first few hundred miles of the engine being rebuilt and the cam bearings being replaced. As mentioned above, I've never seen either an oem or aftermarket cam bearing spin in a Y.

The original (oem) FoMoCo bearings were much harder than the Durabond and Sealed Power bearings we get today. Several fixes are around for that cam bearing issue. Fix 1: Groove the center camshaft journal deeper, Fix 2: Install cam bearings with a outside groove on the center bearing (Schumann sells these), Fix 3: Machine a groove in the center cam hole of the block that allows the 3 holes to be interconnected (That's my fix!). If you end up with a surplus of oil to the top end, it's easily rectified by putting a drilled orifice in the bottoms of the second from the right rocker arm pedestals. Ted Eaton. 
          Tedd,Sep 4, 2017SHARE POST#25[/quote]

SOURCE - https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/y-block-rockers-oiling.1073193/

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d48f2d16-63ba-4c8d-8611-6462.jpg

Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Carl
Still waiting for you to send me your email address so
we can get together on line.
send your email address to me at:
thquinn11@gmail.com
Thanks in advance,
Tim in Fl.
Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I have been working on Y Block Fords for over 40 years, I have never had a oiling problem, most problems I see are poor maintenance compounded with thick oil and aftermarket camshafts
(shallow grove), I also see head gasket trouble (blue gaskets) leaking oil into the cylinder from the transfer slot, and water stains on the side of the block, I don't think the lack of over flow tubes will do anything. The engine here is a 10,000 mile rebuild out of a 57 Thunderbird (head gasket problems)http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a09559a9-afef-4e7b-9590-fcb9.jpg
carl
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Tim Quinn (2/8/2019)
Carl
Still waiting for you to send me your email address so
we can get together on line.
send your email address to me at:
thquinn11@gmail.com
Thanks in advance,
Tim in Fl.
I will resend it ,you gave me the wrong e mail address first time  Carl

Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Carl,
Got your email,
need your home address in Circleville so I can send the $$$$$$$$$$
Thanks,
Tim in The Sunshine State

Reading This Topic

Site Meter