Only left bank burning oil

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic143451.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Tim Quinn - 5 Years Ago
2,400 miles since then. Did a compression check, got 179 to 180 on all 4 left bank cylinders. Have the draft tube connected to the carb with a PCV in line. Car fires up right away and runs down the street in a very acceptable manner.
Again, only the left bank burns old when engine is warm.
Any thoughts,
Tim in Florida
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/23a9de5b-d7ad-4ec4-8f37-1fd1.jpg
Tim Quinn (1/23/2019)
The left bank is burning oil only after the engine is warm. Had the engine rebuilt last May 2018, it has maybehttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/23a9de5b-d7ad-4ec4-8f37-1fd1.jpg 2,400 miles since then. Did a compression check, got 179 to 180 on all 4 left bank cylinders. Have the draft tube connected to the carb with a PCV in line. Car fires up right away and runs down the street in a very acceptable manner.
Any thoughts,
Tim in Florida

Also,didn't see presence of oil burning.,forgot to mention that all 4 plugs were light coffee in color
By cjs1958 - 5 Years Ago
I had a overhauled 289 that burned oil on the left bank, It turned out to be the compression rings turned alinging the ends of the rings, but it was very evident in the plugs. I assume you're seeing smoke. How much oil is it using? Are you sure its not water burning, that would be a whiter smoke.
By 55 GLASS TOP - 5 Years Ago
Could be the valve stem seals were improperly installed on that side and one or two have shifted  allowing oil down the stem . Pull the valve cover and look at the seals through the springs look to see if they have cracked or moved . If you plugs are clean and toasty most likely the oil is going down the valve stem and not making it into the combustion chamber . its just a guess
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
you could also have bad guides on that head.if valve geometry is of they can wear the guides in a hurry.i dont know how bad y blocks are for this.brand x is known for this.just a guess.
I agree I think whatever his problem is it is in the head a bad seal or valve guide I doubt if it’s a ring problem
BIG THANKS
I'LL LOOK AT THIS.
BIG THANKS
I'LL LOOK AND SEE WHAT I CAN SEE,
THANKS
NOT MUCH OIL AT THIS TIME
WE'RE GOING TO DO A BLEED DOWN TEST....PUT 100 PSI OF AIR IN CYLINDER AND GETTING A READING.
Tim Quinn (1/23/2019)
The left bank is burning oil only after the engine is warm. Had the engine rebuilt last May 2018, it has maybehttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/23a9de5b-d7ad-4ec4-8f37-1fd1.jpg 2,400 miles since then. Did a compression check, got 179 to 180 on all 4 left bank cylinders. Have the draft tube connected to the carb with a PCV in line. Car fires up right away and runs down the street in a very acceptable manner.
Any thoughts,
Tim in Florida

BIG TIME THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR INPUT. NEXT WEEK ON TUESDAY,WE ARE DOING A BLEED DOWN TEST WITH 100 PSI OF AIR IN THE CYLINDER. WILL LET ALL KNOW THE RESULTS.
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
I’ll suggest performing a cranking compression test to insure you don’t have a piston ring or other cylinder related issue.  It only takes one cylinder to create a problem.  When doing the cranking compression test, all spark plugs need to be removed and the throttle needs to be blocked to the full open position.  A leak down test will also get the job done.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago

DAMN THAT THING IS PRETTY!

Wires, whites, correct stance and the PI rear swept radio antenna....

... trying not to get misty ...
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
Tim Quinn (1/23/2019)
.......Have the draft tube connected to the carb with a PCV in line.

When you say draft tube is hooked up to the PCV valve, are you referring to the oil fill tube in the valley cover or the road draft tube located at the lower left front of the block?
Thanks.
Leak down test will be done this week (30 Jan-02 Feb) at the shop that rebuilt the engine last year or 2,000 miles ago.
Will let you know what they find when they find it.
Tim
Florida
Ted,
The  DRAFT TUBE I'm reffering to is the tube that was connected to the valley cover and hung over the side of the engine to exhaust fumes from the crank case. Now, it is attached to the carb with a PCV inline.
Tim
Florida
Thanks for the compliment...............those WHITES are Coker's and because the rims are Kelsey Hayes rims, I had to use inner tubes in so they'd hold air.
Again, thanks for the comliment,
Tim 
Floridahttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7debeeca-0cfe-4732-b60e-bcc4.jpg
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
Thanks for the compliment.........

......those WHITES are Coker's and because the rims are Kelsey Hayes rims, I had to use inner tubes in so they'd hold air.

Again, thanks for the comliment,

Tim 

NO SIR!

THANK YOU FOR SHARING!

Listen, per TED's suggestion/comment  Can you show a photo of your PCV setup? It's vacuum source draw may explain the question.

Can't send a picture, car is at the shop trying to find the problem
It might be back on Saturday 02 Feb
Thanks,
Tim in Florida
Ted,
We did  a compression test as you suggested. The range was 155 to 160 psi with 160 being at 80% for the average.
You also mentioned the draft tube. It is connected to a new Summit carb with a PCV in the middle of the rubber hose.
Let me refresh you on the situation. Engine rebuilt 2,400 miles ago. Oil burning out of left bank after car warms up and I take off from a red light or long idle. When the engine is warm and it is shut down for 10 or 16 minutes NO OIL out of left bank. The oil has had a chance to drain back into the oil pan.
What do you think ? Valve seals ?
Let me know, and again, thanks for your input.
Tim in Florida

By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
You also mentioned the draft tube. It is connected to a new Summit carb with a PCV in the middle of the rubber hose.

Is your setup similar to this -

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4208d7f6-b8b1-4f75-9bb1-b1a4.jpg

Or this -

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9c2707e4-cf28-4562-b96e-a27e.jpg
Yes, except I'm using a port on the front of the carb with a PCV in line
Do we need to use a inline PCV ?????????
I noticed that on the head on the left, that there is a tube running to a drain hole at the top of the head. There is not tube like this on the head of my car.
Could this be the problem????
Get back,
Thanks,
Tim in Florida
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
I noticed that on the head on the left, that there is a tube running to a drain hole at the top of the head. There is not tube like this on the head of my car.

Could this be the problem????

Yes. If left off intentionally/unintentionally or if  the rocker arm assembly was pressurized with no relief, the oil supply can pool in the head surface and overwhelm the valve seals. The left heads usually sees more supply.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/cb6b4c12-65ca-431f-a1e7-349c.jpg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8cbe52ac-4a7b-4ec2-b9e5-3f3b.jpg
That's it !!!!
That tube is missing from the left bank for sure !!
Big time thanks.
NOW, where do I find these tubes ?
Any hints ?
Let me know,
Tim in Florida
AGAIN, BIG TIME THANKS
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
is there one on the other side.some people block these of.check to see if yours is blocked of which you can see just by looking.if thats the case start the engine and see how much oil is running in the heads.it should not run out with the rocker covers of.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d9cbe62f-e356-4095-ba54-6031.jpg

TUBE - B5A 6588-A
SUPT - EBU 6575-A

Talk to the machinist first and see if he left them out for some reason. If he didn't, GOOGLE the PN's exactly as shown and you should come across them.
By oldcarmark - 5 Years Ago
If You do need One pretty sure Carl would have a used One. He seems to have just about everything Someone is looking for. Helped Me out when I needed a missing Oil Slinger recently.
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
these must be pressurized rockers.there has to be bolts in those holes otherwise the shafts would turn as thats what holds them in place.
By MoonShadow - 5 Years Ago
I probably have a couple of those in the shop. Yours for the postage if you want.
Sure would appreciate your help.
Do you think $10.00 would pay snail mail ?
I'll send you the money for postage and then you can send them to me.
Or send 'em to me and I'll send you the $$$$
What ever will work.
Tim Quinn
2711 E Vina Del Mar Blvd
St Pete Beach, Fl 33706

You're so right, with the valve cover off and engine running in a matter of seconds the oil is running over the lip on the head.
Ted,
We think we found the problem. The oil return tube at the back of the head is missing.
We're looking for replacements
Thx for tour input,
Tim in Florida
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
Tom,

You might want to remove your addy (EDIT) and send it PM or E-Mail.

Never know who's looking.
Again,
Thanks for the advice.
Tim
Florida
By carl - 5 Years Ago
Tim I have some spare tubes,send me a pm with your address  Carl
I have been reading this thread and understand the oil tube is missing ,my question is will this missing part increase the volume of oil so much that it will flood the head ,so much it will cause the smoking , or is it possible the head gasket was not properly installed and with the valve cover on the oil is truly flooding the head. I watched the video on YouTube where the rockers are pressureized and the is a large amount of oil it properly drains away and there is no smoke from the engine. I am no expert by any means but the video on YouTube seems pretty definitive. Seems like large amount of oil is ok if it drains properly.
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
someone may have turned the groove to deep in the cam.in that case putting restrictors in the rocker stand will fix the problem.and again this may not be the problem.
Carl,
Here is the info you requested:
Tim Quinn
2711 E Vina Del Mar
St Pete Beach, Florida 33706 
email: TimQuinn11@gmail.com
I sure do thank for you help and will gladly pay the postage
when the tubes arrive.
Thanks again,
Tim on Florida
(aka: Waiting Room for Heaven)
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
I have been reading this thread and understand the oil tube is missing ,my question is will this missing part increase the volume of oil so much that it will flood the head ,so much it will cause the smoking , or is it possible the head gasket was not properly installed and with the valve cover on the oil is truly flooding the head. I watched the video on YouTube where the rockers are pressureized and the is a large amount of oil it properly drains away and there is no smoke from the engine. I am no expert by any means but the video on YouTube seems pretty definitive. Seems like large amount of oil is ok if it drains properly.

That tube was put there for a reason by ENGINEERING to regulate oil delivery volume. If the engine makes/holds good oil pressure/volume and the rocker arm assemblies are within spec, there is no need (IMO) to modify anything on a street engine.

If the engine has been modified, yes you would address the valve-train lubricating assemblies. Pressurizing the shaft will give you this but it would have to be regulated, i.e. via restrictions to ensure equal flow and relief.

It is much more involved other than removing/restricting flow of the tube(s). Those tubes also lubricate the timing set as well as the distributor drive.

If he found the head overflowing with return oil, the tubes must be used or it will overwhelm the valve seals regardless of the type of seals used.

The above is IMO and your mileage may vary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTdmD0sQbx4       Just my observation 
Watching this video, it was noticed that he did the TEST on the right bank. I've read that the left bank is where the problem occurs with oil burning at IDLE. He didn't let the engine idle and then rev it up.
Our problem was a blue puff of smoke at red lights when the car was at idle for as long as the light was red. We all know there are short red lights and long ones. we'd leave the red light and for a few seconds there is a puff of blue smoke out of the LEFT BANK.
We'd shut the car off for 25 minutes and start it up................NO SMOKE !!!
After we noticed that the rocker arm oil return tube was missing, this explained the puff of blue smoke from the LEFT BANK and none from the right after idling for a few minutes.
Hopefully this problem will disappear and a new challenge will pop up.
Tim
Waiting Room for Heaven,
Florida 33706

By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
Many run pressurized rockers, without the overflow tubes and without this problem on both banks.  If backed up oil flow is the problem, then reinstallation of the overflow tubes may take care of the issue.  But the root problem may be that the drain holes have become blocked, maybe by crud, maybe by a chunk of valve cover gasket.

If the tube is missing, do you have some sort of plug in the rocker stand?  The tube also helps to locate the shaft within the stands so something should be in place to serve that purpose if the tube is missing.
By carl - 5 Years Ago
Tim Quinn (2/6/2019)
Carl,
Here is the info you requested:
Tim Quinn
2711 E Vina Del Mar
St Pete Beach, Florida 33706 
email: TimQuinn11@gmail.com
I sure do thank for you help and will gladly pay the postage
when the tubes arrive.
Thanks again,
Tim on Florida
(aka: Waiting Room for Heaven)
Tim  I will mail you the tubes out tomorrow     Carl

To my knowledge, there is no plug in the rocker arm.
Last time I had the valve cover off and had the engine running, all I noticed was the  rapid build
up of oil a the bottom of the head. The oil started to run over the lip of the head very quickly.
At this time, I was not aware of the return tube(s) were missing until I was a picture of a head with
the return tube in the working position.
That is when I put 2 + 2 together and came to the conclusion that the puff of blue smoke was
caused by the absence of the return tube.
Good hearing from you,
Tim
Wrinkle City, Florida
Carl,
Thanks for the GOOD NEWS about sending the tubes.
I'll let you know when they arrive.
You can send them SNAIL MAIL I've been 
without then for a while and the car runs like a dream
except for the puff of blue smoke.
Tim Quinn
Wrinkle Beach, Florida
PS: I call St Pete Beach "WRINKLE BEACH" ' cause everyone here
has been aged by the sun. Just having fun.

By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
This is a recently fresh re-build, correct? Did the re-builder ever say why he left the tube(s) off?

If fresh, the drain hols should be clear. A rifle brush will confirm if plugged by trash.

The practice of pressuring the shafts is practical. The video did not show how this procedure was performed, only the result. The flow has to be regulated and that will require a volume release IMO. Those tubes direct unspent oil to the lifter valley, not the bottom drain holes. Without the tubes, any overflow will go to the bottom drain holes. All has to be balanced.
This is the first video of the rocker shaft rebuild this man builds great engines https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ZjObWyRJU
When the car was purchased back in August 2016, we were told that the engine was rebuilt and the car sat in storage for more that eight years and had only 488 miles on a rebuild. The previous owner was an old GMC Dealer in Central Michigan. The car was restored as close as possible to stock. It had a stock distributor withe a Pertronic set up and a modern 4 barrel carb.
The engine was not a stock M code 292, it was a 312 with ECZ  stamped all over and bored out 0,090 with aluminum pistons.
After driving it for less than a year, three lifters snapped or broke a part and chewed up the cam. put a nice hole in the valley cover (this made me mad and sad).
We pulled the the engine out and took it to be repaired. While talking to the person who repaired it, I pointed out the missing oil tubes and he said that there were no tubes on the engine when we brought it to him. He put it back together not knowing it need those tubes.
I'm guessing that the people in Michigan who original rebuilt the engine failed to install the return tubes.
I feel once we put the oil return tubes back on the engine, the puffs of blue smoke will become ancient history..........Update to follow.
Tim Quinn
Florida
PS: If you had not sent me those pictures of Y blocks with the draft tube hooked to the car, I'd still be trying to solve the BLUE SMOKE PROBLEM !!!!

By carl - 5 Years Ago
Tim  I mailed out the tubes this morning will e mail you later   Carl
Thanks Carl,
Looking forward to your e-mail.
Tim
Hot 'n Humid, Florida
33706-2722
Checked the oil passage returns and no blockage.
It has to be the fact that too much oil is flowing out of
 the rocker arm where the return tube should be.
Thx for your input, all input is appreciated.
Tim
Fl.
By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
Did you check the other side for the return tube?
Tim Quinn (2/7/2019)
It has to be the fact that too much oil is flowing out of
 the rocker arm where the return tube should be.
Thx for your input, all input is appreciated.
Tim
Fl.

The Tubes do not control the amount of Oil coming out but they do direct the Oil to the return Holes in the Head. As mentioned they also locate the Rocker Shaft so it does not turn blocking of oil into the Shaft.
By carl - 5 Years Ago
Tim  tried to send you a e mail but would not go,i will give you a pm on this site  Carl
By Joe-JDC - 5 Years Ago
I don't think adding the tube will change the amount of oil coming to the head, just redirecting it.  Also, if you are seeing smoke on the left side only, you have oil coming out an exhaust guide on only one or two exhaust valves in one plane.  If the valve cover was filling up with a significant amount of oil, you would have smoke on both sides instead on only one side.  Sounds like you have oil being pushed out the exhaust guides and burning in the exhaust manifold and tail pipe until the engine gets hot enough to burn it off, and more going in on deceleration when the engine speed is lower and temp is lower.  A simple check that is not so simple is to remove the exhaust manifold and see if there is a stream of oil residue coming from one or more exhaust valve guides.  If the spark plugs are clean, the rings are good, if there is oil in the exhaust port and manifold, the exhaust guides are bad.    Joe-JDC
You could also pull the valve cover and look through the valve stem springs , you may see a seal that shifted or moved out of place or has possibly cracked allowing the oil to pass what you describe is most of the time a bad exhaust valve seal  just try touching the seal though the seal with a thin wire it should be fairly tight in place if it spins its your problem. I know you have drain tubes on the way, maybe you want to take a look at the seals while you are waiting for the tubes to arrive. You said the car sat for 8 years maybe the seals are hard. The engine was repaired after the lifters broke but were the heads rebuilt or resealed . I am just trying to help 
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago

It has to be the fact that too much oil is flowing out of the rocker arm where the return tube should be.

When the engine was gone through, the builder must have modified the oil delivery to the rocker arms, increasing volume. For whatever reason, the tube(s) were left off. Most likely as a result of reading all of the theories of pressurizing the rocker shafts.

The practice is valid but the flow rate has to be determined and allowed for.
Carl,
Thanks for the tubes.
Looking forward to your email.
Here is my address:
thquinn11@gmail.com

Thanks again,
Tim
Carl,
Give me your email address and I'll contact you.
Tim Quinn
email: thquinn11@gmail.com
No tube on either bank.
Apparently when the engine was worked on 10 years ago, they didn't put the tubes on either bank.
The car arrived at my address back in August  2016. I drove it for a short time and then had a big time failure...........three lifters broke and all hell broke loose. The car was in a repair shop for all most six months. I got it back in July of 2018 and didn't notice the smoke until my brother, who was following me to Cruise In at the local Quaker Steak and Ale, pointed out the blue smoke. And, I don't drive the car all that often so I didn't notice the puffs of blue smoke.
According to some of the members of "Y-Blocks Forever", the left bank will allow oil to seep into the cylinder head at a greater rate than the right bank. Could be because the oil pump is of the left side.
Anyhow, Carl, one of the members of the Forever Club has been good enough to send me the tubes. After they are installed, I give an update about the problem.
Tim in Florida
By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
The rate of seepage into the head should be 0 on either side not greater on one side than the other.  Why would the left side be more likely?  The pump has nothing to do with it since both heads get their oil from a cam journal with each being approximately equally as far away from the pump as the other in terms of the oil passages.
The passenger's side tends to loose oil flow sooner since the cam tends to wear into that side of the bearing.  When this happens, there could appear to be more flow to the driver's side but what has really happened is that crud and/or wear has filled / closed the passage, diminishing or preventing flow all together to the passenger's side..
You are correct, the oil pump has nothing to do with oil to either bank, oil comes from the cam journal ( I'm a half ass shade tree mechanic....my sons call me a FAKE MECHANIC) 
It's a hobby, keeps me out of trouble and makes my wife happy 'cause I not on her case.
Thanks for you input,
Florida's Tim
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
the right side of my 56 back in 69 quit oiling altogether.its the one that usually quits first because it never got as much oil.just the way it works.you didnt tell us about the broken lifters or i missed it.that changes everything.i have a feeling your problems go deeper but you may be ok.time will tell.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
If you didn't get oil to the rockers during the priming operation, then you've got an issue anywhere from the center cam bearing up to the rocker arm shafts. Head gaskets can go either way to get oil up to the shafts so you should be good there. Soft cam bearings and camshafts with an inadequate groove depth are at the top of the list for rocker arms not oiling on a fresh engine build. Ted Eaton. 
           Tedd,Aug 27, 2017

Oil delivery has to be verified before final assembly. The system was an engineering mistake, pure and simple.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/10a52095-d85b-4520-8359-880b.jpg

ADDITIONAL INFO -

When there is a cam bearing issue, the right bank stops oiling first. In all instances, the 3 holes in the center bearing are still aligned with their respective holes. Have never figured out the mechanics of why that happens but it's consistent in that regard; right bank simply stops oiling first. Those cam bearing issues have typically happened within the first few hundred miles of the engine being rebuilt and the cam bearings being replaced. As mentioned above, I've never seen either an oem or aftermarket cam bearing spin in a Y.

The original (oem) FoMoCo bearings were much harder than the Durabond and Sealed Power bearings we get today. Several fixes are around for that cam bearing issue. Fix 1: Groove the center camshaft journal deeper, Fix 2: Install cam bearings with a outside groove on the center bearing (Schumann sells these), Fix 3: Machine a groove in the center cam hole of the block that allows the 3 holes to be interconnected (That's my fix!). If you end up with a surplus of oil to the top end, it's easily rectified by putting a drilled orifice in the bottoms of the second from the right rocker arm pedestals. Ted Eaton. 
          Tedd,Sep 4, 2017SHARE POST#25[/quote]

SOURCE - https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/y-block-rockers-oiling.1073193/

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d48f2d16-63ba-4c8d-8611-6462.jpg

Carl
Still waiting for you to send me your email address so
we can get together on line.
send your email address to me at:
thquinn11@gmail.com
Thanks in advance,
Tim in Fl.
By Cliff - 5 Years Ago
I have been working on Y Block Fords for over 40 years, I have never had a oiling problem, most problems I see are poor maintenance compounded with thick oil and aftermarket camshafts
(shallow grove), I also see head gasket trouble (blue gaskets) leaking oil into the cylinder from the transfer slot, and water stains on the side of the block, I don't think the lack of over flow tubes will do anything. The engine here is a 10,000 mile rebuild out of a 57 Thunderbird (head gasket problems)http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a09559a9-afef-4e7b-9590-fcb9.jpg
By carl - 5 Years Ago
Tim Quinn (2/8/2019)
Carl
Still waiting for you to send me your email address so
we can get together on line.
send your email address to me at:
thquinn11@gmail.com
Thanks in advance,
Tim in Fl.
I will resend it ,you gave me the wrong e mail address first time  Carl

Carl,
Got your email,
need your home address in Circleville so I can send the $$$$$$$$$$
Thanks,
Tim in The Sunshine State

By 2721955meteor - 5 Years Ago
Tim Quinn (2/8/2019)
Carl,
Got your email,
need your home address in Circleville so I can send the $$$$$$$$$$
Thanks,
Tim in The Sunshine State

no need for the tubes,just block them off,i tap the stand with 5/16 coarse tap grind the end of a capscrew to a point so it blocks the oil out holds the rocker shaft in place,assures all rockers all valves all push rods get props lube lightens load on cams. (look at the ford fe engines no bleed tubes good life on rocker shafts and vave train ,no sludj accumulates in end of rocker shaft like the ys with bleed tubes that stops lube to valve train farthest from drain tubes. in my opinion the biggest problem with ys is drain tubes and poor maintenance

By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
...no need for the tubes,just block them off,

i tap the stand with 5/16 coarse tap grind the end of a capscrew to a point so it blocks the oil out holds the rocker shaft in place,assures all rockers all valves all push rods get props lube lightens load on cams. (look at the ford fe engines no bleed tubes good life on rocker shafts and vave train ,no sludj accumulates in end of rocker shaft like the ys with bleed tubes that stops lube to valve train farthest from drain tubes. in my opinion the biggest problem with ys is drain tubes and poor maintenance

The left cylinder head is flooding and there is no need for the tubes?

The FE had an modified/updated design and it too was not perfect. The FYB tubes has other usage other than bleeding off excessive supply.

The main reason(s) for the FYB oiling/sludge problem(s) (other than poor design) was non-detergent paraffin based oils of the period, lack of maintenance and poor crankcase ventilation.

The main problem here is that no one knows what was done as to upper oil supply and why the tubes were left off.

I think when the Y was on the drawing board, Henry happened to walk by and mentioned that it was to be an OHV engine and not a Flathead. The Rube Goldberg setup reflects this.
By Hoosier Hurricane - 5 Years Ago
Must have been Henry's ghost that walked by the drawing board.  He died in '47.  I doubt the Y was on the board that early.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
I was being facetious (Latin for a$$-hole)

The whole thing looks to me as - OH SH!AT! We forgot something....
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
this post has a life of its own.it should set some kind of record on here.
By Dobie - 5 Years Ago
Hoosier Hurricane (2/9/2019)
Must have been Henry's ghost that walked by the drawing board.  He died in '47.  I doubt the Y was on the board that early.

I read somewhere, and can't remember where, that the Y-block was in development post war and was supposed to be ready for the '49 model year. For some reason, probably financial as Ford was cash-strapped at the time, it was shuffled to the back burner.
left head flooded as oil went strait up and flooded the cylinders at the end,bled off enough volume so right bank got less.
re fes owned 10 of them 332,352,361 edsel 360 trucks 390,406 428. never had top end issues.
early ys truck and lincoln had diferent source of oil for rockers and had no issues  with to much oil. my present 292 has tubes removed and pluged drrain
holes both sides. with covers off lots of oil going to the correct places,push rods rockers valve train,lower drain to valley at each end of heads easly drains excess oil to timing chain and dist. gears. i have no blue smoke,no excess oil consumption. have not had to re set valves since rebuild. this is my4th y block in 5year period.2 customers, my 57 ranchero,existing 49merc f43 truck with 292 4v all have drain tubes blocked. have some experience with ford engines.also some strong opinions, right or wrong ,but some history. To date have not had a cam isue or il consumption.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
FINAL RESULT -

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic143921.aspx
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
The FYB was due for intro in the 1953 model run but was delayed a year due to material shortages as a result of Korea.
agree
You be a luck Y Guy. 
The rockers were pressurized and this caused major flooding of oil at the bottom of the head and at idle, puffs of blue smoke when the car started to move forward.
An  Allen wrench was used to remove the screw in the passage way and the tube(s) were installed.
No more flooding. Even with the valve cover off, oil doesn't run over the bottom of the head and when moving forward from and idle, no puffs of the blue sh!t.
Tim Happy
Florida
80 degrees today...short winter
Glad to hear your Problem solved. Can U solve mine? Major Snow Storm Today. Lucky U. 80???