Profile Picture

Crankcase Ventilation

Posted By Brent 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I am trying to determine how to ventilate my 292+ crankcase. I remember reading a post that stated Ted has written an article with dyno results. Anyone know where to find this info.? I have seen images of engines that Ted has built with valve cover breathers, they look cool and I'm guessing this may be the best solution regarding performance.. I have run the valley road draft tube in the past, seems like it contributed to quite the build-up of grime underneath the car. How does a PCV conversion affect performance? 

.150 Stroked Y-Block:327.25 ci @ >1hp per ci
Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
From a performance perspective, PCV valves are not a detriment or an advantage.  Here are some older posts regarding PCV valves.

Blocking off the road draft tube
Crankcase evacuation
Finned valley pan and PCV valve installation 
Header evacuation system
Installation of PCV valve into the top of the block
Installation of PCV valve at top and rear of block 2 
Modifying valve covers for PCV valve installation
Valley pan PCV valve installation 1
Valley pan PCV valve installation 2
Valve cover baffle for PCV valve 
Why a PCV valve or system?
Why the PCV must be at the top

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Brent
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)

Very cool! THANKS...

.150 Stroked Y-Block:327.25 ci @ >1hp per ci
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
If your carb happens to be tuned a bit toward the rich side, a PCV may actually improve performance. Many years ago, when I upgraded to a Pony teapot, I installed a CASCO PCV kit, though I also put a restrictor in the hose (don’t ask why/been too long). Serendipitously, motor has been running beautifully ever since. No more crankcase fumes stinking up the garage, and no more oil spray dirtying the chassis. In the end though, all things being equal, more power can theoretically be made with a pure gasoline mixture.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
DryLakesRacer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

I left the side breather on my stock 56 292 and bought a cap for the top oil fill tube with a 1/2" hose fitting. I plumbed a hose into the area between my 2 carbs aiming at the rear carb front 2 barrels where most of the air is sucked under normal running.  No more smell and no oil residue on the left side.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter